daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #61
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
If thats done systematically and they get once to the wrong one, that will end up at the European court of Justice due to discrimination.

Just a question of time.
Just like the austrian motorway police,that uses the excuse "opposing the enforcement",when a hungarian doesnt speak german,and fines them to thousands of euros?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #62
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Just like the austrian motorway police,that uses the excuse "opposing the enforcement",when a hungarian doesnt speak german,and fines them to thousands of euros?
OMG, do they really do that???
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #63
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
That's Austrians. For many of them is everybody from Ostblock at least mass murderer.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #64
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
OMG, do they really do that???
Not the first case,that I've read,although I've myself was never fined...neither home,nor abroad. Though they only use it when there is a basis for the inspection(like speeding),but they use this excuse to raise the fine. At least,that what I've read...

just some examples of the latest case.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #65
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19408

Quote:
Slovakia, Austria kick off Schengen expansion party

BERG-PETRZALKA CROSSING, Austria-Slovakia border (AFP) — Slovakia and Austria on Thursday launched ceremonies to extend the European Union's passport-free Schengen zone to nine mainly ex-East bloc countries seeking to shed their communist pasts.

Austrian Chancellor Alfred Gusenbauer and Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico cut down the frontier barrier between their two countries at the Berg/Petrzalka crossing point to start three days of commemorations for the landmark change.

The addition of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia to the Schengen Treaty zone will take the number of countries involved to 24 with a total population of 400 million.

The expansion from Friday will lift border controls between the former communist states of eastern Europe and their Western neighbours and bring down internal controls in a zone stretching from Spain to Estonia.

"We are standing here at the border between Bratislava and Vienna to take away the most important symbolic barrier," said Fico.

The Austrian and Slovak capitals are just 40 kilometres (25 miles) apart but Fico added: "From midnight tonight, you can travel 4,000 kilometres (2,500 miles) from Tallinn in Estonia to Lisbon in Portugal without any border controls."

"When people go to Bratislava in 20 to 30 years, they will ask where the border was here at all," said Austrian leader Gusenbauer.

Concerts, fireworks and even a disco at the Petrzalka-Berg crossing were planned to mark the tearing down of the last remnants of the Iron Curtain.

Britain and Ireland have not joined Schengen and new EU members Bulgaria and Romania are not yet allowed in.
more here

Congratulations to all Eastern Europe forumers!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #66
wyqtor
Coexist

Congratulations to all! I hope RO&BG join soon, we also don't need for corrupt and annoying customs officers anymore!

Next spring I'm going to Prague if all is well, instead of 3 borders there will be just one!
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #67
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
more here

Congratulations to all Eastern Europe forumers!
Testing new border in Saturday.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #68
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Fantastic

Britain wont join because of pig-headedness (sorry, but thats what it is ) and it isnt really sensible for Ireland to join without Britain joining
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #69
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Now I will not have to stand in queue on border with Germany in Olszyna or Jędrzychowice
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #70
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Testing new border in Saturday.
gonna be interesting at Macelj/Obrežje
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #71
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Its just plain annoying that we dont join. Anyone know why we dont?

Also, I've got a friend who claims he's seen people travel to switzerland showign Id cards only from the UK. Is he talking crap?

At the moment at least we can travel to ireland passport free if we want.
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:25 AM   #72
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3444

Do you in the UK have ID cards? At web of Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs it's written that you can pass our border only with ID card
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:37 AM   #73
go_leafs_go02

UK isn't part of Schegen? funny, cause I never had to show my passport when crossing the Channel from England to France.

Or is this different?
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM   #74
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
Also, I've got a friend who claims he's seen people travel to switzerland showign Id cards only from the UK. Is he talking crap?
No, it is also possible with Dutch ID cards if i'm correct.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #75
Salif

Likes (Received): 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Britain wont join because of pig-headedness (sorry, but thats what it is ) and it isnt really sensible for Ireland to join without Britain joining
Indeed, I often think the decision makers think there's some sort of unspeakable evil waiting at the other side of Europe just waiting for a clear run to our country.
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #76
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Do you in the UK have ID cards? At web of Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs it's written that you can pass our border only with ID card
No, we don't.

Hamilton: I did, but on a ferry from France to Ireland no.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:42 PM   #77
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post

At the moment at least we can travel to ireland passport free if we want.
Only really on ferries, if you go through an airport whilst you technically dont need a passport you'd be daft not to take one cos of the hassle you'd get.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM   #78
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20309

I don't think that Schengen would make a huge practical difference to the UK, you can't just drive onto the continent because there is a large stretch of water in the way, to get on a ferry or train, you have to check in and show tickets anyway so it's no extra hassle if you show a passport at the same time.

Our only land border is with the Irish Republic and that is already open a la Schengen anyway.

It's not as if there are huge queues and long delays at the ports anyway, usually you don't get stopped.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #79
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

It would mean that we dont have to piss about with passport control on our international trains, and would increase the likelyhood of being able to get direct trains from other british destinations.

I flew to ireland on only my driving license and had absolutely no hassle at all.

But yeh, in the main it doesnt really make much difference. I have noticed they are much stricter now though at our passport control where they used to wave past anyone holding what looked like a british passport without opening it!

And also i believe we are party signed up to Schengen in terms of security sharing.

This is much more of a difference for these eastern european countries who has years of restricted movement and to have free borders with the rest of europe must be a great day and i'm pleased for you all!
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM   #80
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
In the Netherlands you officially can even be fined for not showing ID/passport WITHIN the borders.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote