daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #101
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

The Schengen border poses a problem for many second-hand car owners as well.. You may find out the car you legally bought was actually stolen, it's happened to many Czechs and Slovaks which tried to cross the Slovenian-Croatian border after we started implementing the system back in August.. And if your car is stolen, you aren't getting it back..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #102
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Some interesting numbers from the new outer borders:
in the last 60 hours,border guards caught:
20 trespassers,out of which 19 tried to get into the Schengen zone,and 1 out
1 people smuggler
20 fake documents(romanian and bulgarian IDs and fake EU visas)
37 people who are banned from the Schengen zone
1 person missing
11 wanted criminals
many stolen cars and licence plates too.

There are bad news too. 20 trucks can get out in an hour to Ukraine,and 500 are waiting.
That's kind of scary actually, and worries me a bit given that Bulgaria and Romania will be in Schengen within a few years. A lot of people thought that they weren't even ready for the EU quite yet in 2007 and should have joined in 2008. Hopefully they'll be 1000% ready for Schengen, though, before they are let in, because it's quite important for many countries.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #103
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
That's kind of scary actually, and worries me a bit given that Bulgaria and Romania will be in Schengen within a few years. A lot of people thought that they weren't even ready for the EU quite yet in 2007 and should have joined in 2008. Hopefully they'll be 1000% ready for Schengen, though, before they are let in, because it's quite important for many countries.
Outer borders are Ukraine,Serbia and Croatia. Well,Romania too,but they are let through,because they are EU members...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #104
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
I dont. Thats at least one.

I dont know if he did try to evade the fine or not. It happened,thats what I know.
BTW,I've found the documentation of the case...on the previous page
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...4&postcount=64
Reads weird. To be honest, I can't really make sense out of it, if someone would have more about those cases it would be interesting to read. I mean they write that the recepte mentioned only 140€ but the police men acknowledget that they fined 1100€. One of the former paper mentions 960€ Sicherheitsrücklage or so. No idea what this is or meant to be.

But to be honest I dont have much experience with speeder fines, never got one yet.
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #105
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Transport company of Bratislava wants to serve Wolfsthal and Hainburg, but some Austrian company refuses it because it has exlusive rights there. However, there is already bus connection of those little towns with Bratislava operated by company Slovak Lines.
Yes, but the other service would be considerably better and more integrated. It would be a great step forward in regards to PT service quality.
As I have said, there is a court case pending as far as I know. I hope that the Postbus has no chance if it wants to use its exclusive right of service in order to prevent any better service.

Quote:
I think it's populism from Austrian governemnt. I know those soldiers can do nothing. But, as some Austrians can appreciate it, some people in new Schengen countries can consider it as an offence.
Of course they can. But the question is if they are then cleverer than those who appreciate it.

Quote:
Moravský Svätý Ján/Hohenau is very far from Hungary. It's small border crossing between Austria and Slovakia close to the Czech border. Here is map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...a9e994a505d37e Maybe it's due to protection fo nature, but why it was placed there on the day when Schengen was extended? The traffic there is very low, at night almost no and without trucks so I can see no point there. Both banks of river Morava are protected area. Niderosterreich offcials wanted Slovak officials to do the same, but they refused to do so.
Oh.
Well I can't comment on this specific case as I have not the slightest information about it.

Sounds a bit like the case with Hungary just the other way round. But I can err.
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
I agree, in my opinion, there should be some same level of welfare, corruption, economy and income between Schengen countries. I don't think those 2 countries are there yet. I also had my doubts with Lithuania and Latvia, but i understand there would be some impractical situations then.

And today, i read this story about Romanian parents from the poor countryside leave their children to work in Italy and Spain, and i think this kind of stuff shouldn't happen in the EU or schengen. I understand the situation in these countries and their need for economic growth, but when your workforce leaves the country, how can you accomplish economic growth? I understand the motives for those people who want to work in Western Europe, but i also understand the resistance to all this from western Europe towards these countries.

To be frank, i think Romania and Bulgaria entered too soon, sure i would adjudge them economic profits from entering the EU, but things have to work both ways.

I think the EU should wait for further eastern europe expansion (except Croatia), until the now eastern European EU countries have a higher level of welfare
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #107
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Some interesting numbers from the new outer borders:
in the last 60 hours,border guards caught:
20 trespassers,out of which 19 tried to get into the Schengen zone,and 1 out

Was he a looked after criminal or just an idiot?
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #108
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
The Schengen border poses a problem for many second-hand car owners as well.. You may find out the car you legally bought was actually stolen, it's happened to many Czechs and Slovaks which tried to cross the Slovenian-Croatian border after we started implementing the system back in August.. And if your car is stolen, you aren't getting it back..
Is this a consequence out of being part of the SIS system?
Cool.

Just one question, where are those Czechs and Slovaks buying their cars? At least according to Austrian law they could hold themselves free of any financial damage if they could not expect that they buy a stolen car. In fact the trader would be the target of illegal dealer accusations then.

I would say, mind the the papers of the primary owner, if they are correct, its fine, if they are forged in a way that you can't find out that they are forged you are fine as well, because then the former owner has a problem.
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #109
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

The A1 in the Netherlands is one large flow of Polish, Russian, Belorussian and Ukranian cars with trailers with new cars towards the east.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #110
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post

Was he a looked after criminal or just an idiot?
That wasnt in the article
An article on a site of a county,they wrote that at Röszke(motorway border with Serbia),there were 5 people caught who were banned from Schengen zone,2 tried to get in,3 tried to leave. Of the 5, 2 was reported from Germany,1-1 from Austria,CZ and Hungary.

Last edited by RawLee; December 24th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #111
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Yes, but the other service would be considerably better and more integrated. It would be a great step forward in regards to PT service quality.
As I have said, there is a court case pending as far as I know. I hope that the Postbus has no chance if it wants to use its exclusive right of service in order to prevent any better service.
Such service would be good, beacuse those buses will drive regulary no mather if full or empty. Not like present buses which even don't stop there if there's no reservation. It's ridiculous, Wolfsthal is some 9 km form the center of Bratislava, but it's complicated to get there without car.

Quote:
Of course they can. But the question is if they are then cleverer than those who appreciate it.
I don't think it's question of cleverness. It's just completely useless step.

Quote:
Oh.
Well I can't comment on this specific case as I have not the slightest information about it.

Sounds a bit like the case with Hungary just the other way round. But I can err.
It's quite an issue here. It was also in the TV news yesterday and all Slovak dailys informed about it. They all consider it as an offence and discrimination. It can cause a lot of problems since many people travel there from or to work, there are cultural events on both side of river with attendance from both banks and it's wierd to end them before 22:00. Another problem is it's just 30 metres form the end of the one way bridge on one way road where is not possible to turn your car without violating the law. What they protect those 30 metres?
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #112
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Such service would be good, beacuse those buses will drive regulary no mather if full or empty. Not like present buses which even don't stop there if there's no reservation. It's ridiculous, Wolfsthal is some 9 km form the center of Bratislava, but it's complicated to get there without car.
I knew it was bad, I had forgot already that it was this much of a joke...
That does not even deserve the name "public transport"

Quote:
I don't think it's question of cleverness. It's just completely useless step.
Not for our politicians, but in terms of rational thinkingh. Yes.
I would only hope our neighbors are able to take it rationally and see that its nothing they have to care about as its just the regularely inner Austrian hilarious comedy theater called "politics".

Quote:
It's quite an issue here. It was also in the TV news yesterday and all Slovak dailys informed about it. They all consider it as an offence and discrimination. It can cause a lot of problems since many people travel there from or to work, there are cultural events on both side of river with attendance from both banks and it's wierd to end them before 22:00. Another problem is it's just 30 metres form the end of the one way bridge on one way road where is not possible to turn your car without violating the law. What they protect those 30 metres?
Why don't we get those news here at all? We only can read in our Krone about how every one from the new member states is at least a car thief ...
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #113
Qwert

Quote:
I knew it was bad, I had forgot already that it was this much of a joke...
That does not even deserve the name "public transport"
Yes, that public transport is like joke. From those villages is easier to get to Vienna than to Bratislava which is some 5 km from them.

Quote:
Not for our politicians, but in terms of rational thinkingh. Yes.
I would only hope our neighbors are able to take it rationally and see that its nothing they have to care about as its just the regularely inner Austrian hilarious comedy theater called "politics".
I've said it, I consider it populistic step. It's sad, but it's true that you can acquire popularity by this.

Quote:
Why don't we get those news here at all? We only can read in our Krone about how every one from the new member states is at least a car thief ...
Well, everybody should definitely stop reading tabloids. IMO people who read them should not have right to vote at elections. Old Greeks would call them idiotés. For me is disgusting enough even when I see some commercial on tabloids on the TV.
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #114
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Originally Posted by maciek2000

From polish subforum. more here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=192637
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #115
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Yes, that public transport is like joke. From those villages is easier to get to Vienna than to Bratislava which is some 5 km from them.
Why doesn't surprise me that?

Quote:
I've said it, I consider it populistic step. It's sad, but it's true that you can acquire popularity by this.
Thats exactly what its all about, being a populistic step. Its not sure however that people who read the Krone will be satisfied by it as they may realize its fake nature. They may prefer the idea of reestablishing the iron curtain again At least thats what I get sometimes the impression of.
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #116
Qwert

Quote:
Why doesn't surprise me that?
It wouldn't be surprise before a couple of years, but now such things should be over.
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #117
Slartibartfas

Quote:
It wouldn't be surprise before a couple of years, but now such things should be over.
Walls in the minds of the people survive a long time you must know...
Old December 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #118
Qwert

Quote:
Walls in the minds of the people survive a long time you must know...
I know, even 20 years is not enough.
Old December 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #119
Slartibartfas

Quote:
I know, even 20 years is not enough.
In an Austrian forum I read an interesting comment.

With the fall of the iron curtain and the reemergance of a Central Europe we have reached the state that was so common until 89 years ago: The peoples in a common borderless central Europe being eager in building (mental) walls...

The time when a real iron curtain caused people to demand a fall of those borders was nearly too achronistic to be true...

Hopefully this comment remains to be only cynism and not a fitting picture of reality.
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #120
Qwert

Quote:
In an Austrian forum I read an interesting comment.

With the fall of the iron curtain and the reemergance of a Central Europe we have reached the state that was so common until 89 years ago: The peoples in a common borderless central Europe being eager in building (mental) walls...

The time when a real iron curtain caused people to demand a fall of those borders was nearly too achronistic to be true...

Hopefully this comment remains to be only cynism and not a fitting picture of reality.
In the Iron courtain times, there were not so big problems with illegal immigration and so on in Austria. People were used to the world ending behind the courtain. But, this "luxurious" world disapperad from day to day. Austrians were probably the nation which life was changed most by fall of socialism, after socialistic countries of course. And many of those changes vere rather negative and very quick. But, this transformation era is very close to the end. The transformation of people's minds will, however, last for longer time.