daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #121
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
In the Iron courtain times, there were not so big problems with illegal immigration and so on in Austria. People were used to the world ending behind the courtain. But, this "luxurious" world disapperad from day to day. Austrians were probably the nation which life was changed most by fall of socialism, after socialistic countries of course. And many of those changes vere rather negative and very quick. But, this transformation era is very close to the end. The transformation of people's minds will, however, last for longer time.
I agree to you that Austria has been effected heavily. But I want to add something:
The consequences in the public opinion have been rather negative, while in hard numbers and also the opinion of enterpreneurs (not only the large but also many small ones) it has been very postive. In fact in economic terms the last 15 years were a little success story for Austria. Especially Vienna profitated a lot.

I can only hope that you are correct, that we will see in the years to come the transformation of people's minds. Hopefully I it will happen in my lifetime.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #122
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,416
Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I agree to you that Austria has been effected heavily. But I want to add something:
The consequences in the public opinion have been rather negative, while in hard numbers and also the opinion of enterpreneurs (not only the large but also many small ones) it has been very postive. In fact in economic terms the last 15 years were a little success story for Austria. Especially Vienna profitated a lot.

I can only hope that you are correct, that we will see in the years to come the transformation of people's minds. Hopefully I it will happen in my lifetime.
Economically it was very positive. However, people are everywhere sensing rather nagative things. I hope as well their minds will change quickly. I think we must wait until the welfare and especially wages will be very similar in EU.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #123
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Economically it was very positive. However, people are everywhere sensing rather nagative things. I hope as well their minds will change quickly. I think we must wait until the welfare and especially wages will be very similar in EU.
Funnily it makes itself already to the news that in the meanwhile more Czech, Slovaks and Hungarians are going shopping to Austria than the other way round.

I am surprised to see that this has not collided with the prejudices Austrians still have.

PS:
Does anyone know what is a nicer place to visit. Cesky Krumlov, Brno or Plzen?
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #124
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC
 
vlker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brno, Czech republic
Posts: 243
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
PS:
Does anyone know what is a nicer place to visit. Cesky Krumlov, Brno or Plzen?
Cesky krumlov is beautiful medieval town. I can recommend to you...But there's a mass of foreign tourists, especially Japanese and so on...so the best season could be winter, if you don't like crowds of tourists. Plzen is quite nice and there is the best beer i've had But on the other hand, it's just a normal city with shiny city center. But if you like wine, I would recommend you Brno-it's capital of south moravia with many wineyards and cellars in the south of Brno and very nice country with canyons, caves and so on in the north.
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #125
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlker View Post
Cesky krumlov is beautiful medieval town. I can recommend to you...But there's a mass of foreign tourists, especially Japanese and so on...so the best season could be winter, if you don't like crowds of tourists. Plzen is quite nice and there is the best beer i've had But on the other hand, it's just a normal city with shiny city center. But if you like wine, I would recommend you Brno-it's capital of south moravia with many wineyards and cellars in the south of Brno and very nice country with canyons, caves and so on in the north.
Thats fine, Brno is the one of the three that is located closer than the other two. My former chemistry teacher was born in Brno as well.
I did not know about the wine though. I am surprised

Cesky Krumlov sounds a bit like Salzburg... well Salzburg is not medieval but for the rest.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #126
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,416
Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Thats fine, Brno is the one of the three that is located closer than the other two. My former chemistry teacher was born in Brno as well.
I did not know about the wine though. I am surprised
I didin't hear about wine exactly in Brno, but Brno is capital of Southern Moravia where is plenty of very good vineyards so I can only recommend to visit some cellars in countryside.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #127
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I didin't hear about wine exactly in Brno, but Brno is capital of Southern Moravia where is plenty of very good vineyards so I can only recommend to visit some cellars in countryside.
I am more of a beer drinker though But I imagine that there doesn't exist a place in the entire Czech Republic which would be bad for beer drinkers

I only know the Starobrno brand so far. You get it in Austria as well in some restaurants.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #128
RawLee
Registered User
 
RawLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 9,447
Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I am more of a beer drinker though But I imagine that there doesn't exist a place in the entire Czech Republic which would be bad for beer drinkers

I only know the Starobrno brand so far. You get it in Austria as well in some restaurants.
You dont know Kozel???
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #129
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,416
Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I am more of a beer drinker though But I imagine that there doesn't exist a place in the entire Czech Republic which would be bad for beer drinkers

I only know the Starobrno brand so far. You get it in Austria as well in some restaurants.
Well, you can buy beer in every village, in every pub, but I thing that's possible in every country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
You dont know Kozel???
And what about Pilsner and Budweisser, probably the most famous Czech brands?
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #130
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,435
Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Well, you can buy beer in every village, in every pub, but I thing that's possible in every country.



And what about Pilsner and Budweisser, probably the most famous Czech brands?
Budwisser is not the American Budwiser to all you people out there.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #131
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

It's actually Budweiser.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #132
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,624
Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Budwisser is not the American Budwiser to all you people out there.
Did you used to be DFM our Portuguese friend?

all those name changes
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #133
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,707
Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
It's actually Budweiser.
It is indeed, and I have a can in front of me as I write.

Now, any pictures of the SI/HR border? I imagine it's pretty terrible. Especially in Portoroz... (Sorry I don't have that letter on my Germanocentric keyboard.)
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #134
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,416
Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
It's actually Budweiser.
Oh sorry, in Czech republic it's Budějovický Budvar or shorter Budvar.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #135
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Oh sorry, in Czech republic it's Budějovický Budvar or shorter Budvar.
The brand label in Austria says "Budweiser-Budvar". Do they have a different brand label in the Czech Republic?

__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #136
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
You dont know Kozel???
Kozel, doesnt come from Brno, does it?
But no, I did not know that brand. I am not extremely educated about Bohemian beers. But I like Budweiser-Budvar and Pilsener Urquell. Starobrno is not among my favorites but not bad either.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #137
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,416
Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The brand label in Austria says "Budweiser-Budvar". Do they have a different brand label in the Czech Republic?

As far as I know, in Czech republic is used brand Budějovický Budvar. But, to be honest, I've never seen its bottle in Czech republic, only glass.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Kozel, doesnt come from Brno, does it?
But no, I did not know that brand. I am not extremely educated about Bohemian beers. But I like Budweiser-Budvar and Pilsener Urquell. Starobrno is not among my favorites but not bad either.
Full name of Kozel is Velkopopovický Kozel, so it's from Velké Popovice what is some 20 km from Prague.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #138
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,707
Likes (Received): 93

[offtopic] In some select resturants and pubs you might get it. I know at least two. Is Staropramen from CZ or SK?[/offtopic]
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #139
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,609
Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
[offtopic] In some select resturants and pubs you might get it. I know at least two. Is Staropramen from CZ or SK?[/offtopic]
Google says its a beer from Prague, therefor I let you guess the country
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #140
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,707
Likes (Received): 93

Hmmmmm, tough.
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium