daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > City Images, Architecture & Historic themes

City Images, Architecture & Historic themes Photos, Archi-talk & History.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #41
Maelstrom

Likes (Received): 1

Really? You have to put up with that in the streets? Jesus....

You should carry pepper spray with you : /
Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #42
Castro

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
I've had a lot of trouble with kids harassing me, but can't say that reflects on the community in general: it's just one bunch of hooligans who've singled me out in particular.
Any particular reason they started (if you don't mind me asking)?

I've always felt perfectly safe in Footscray, day & night - it has a largely undeserved 'reputation'.
Castro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #43
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Any particular reason they started (if you don't mind me asking)?

I've always felt perfectly safe in Footscray, day & night - it has a largely undeserved 'reputation'.
My hair's too long ... "hey He-She, you fagot ... you look like a ******* girl!"
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #44
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 10

I see heaps of long haired people walking along that Commonwealth Bank area & Westpac towards the train station. I LOVE IT! There's an apartment thing opposite ye olde Footscray Swim Centre that are going for like 230,000? By the way, thats being knocked down for a retirement home? Yardmaster might now about it.
Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #45
Castro

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
My hair's too long ... "hey He-She, you fagot ... you look like a ******* girl!"
Bloody street urchins - sic a few Sudanese guys onto them!
Castro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #46
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

you're talking about the girls?

Yeah, well I see heaps of long-haired guys around the streets too, and think ... "Why Me?" . Probably not the forum for it: sometime these "younger people" decided they would give me a hard time ... and that was six years ago.

I did consider shaving my hair off, but came to the conclusion they'd only call me "Mr. Baldy" (even though they guy next door is as bald as a boiled egg anyway). Besides, I like my hair.

Yeah, I have seen those flats going up opposite the former baths ... more traffic. but less trafficking.
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #47
Maelstrom

That's sad Yardmaster, are these kids homeless or something? Why would they be waiting for you? How do they even know where you are?

I'm having second thoughts about Footscray now.
Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #48
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

An update on this thread ... lately Footscray has started sporting a lot of new "signage" ... this one is just outside the station:

(the sign in the blue box at the right displays train departure information, but since it "rotates", getting a still shot of it can be difficult).

Another similar sign: this sign, at the top of the foot-bridge ramps, basically determines which platform (1 or 3) will get you to town quickest, so, if you haven't got the gist of the timetable, it's a good place to hang out while you're waiting: today wasn't a good day to take photos; foggiest I remember in a long while:

I'm reliably informed that this footbridge will soon be replaced (it clearly doesn't serve the inner platforms adequately at the moment) ...

... and that this car-park (formerly a ten-pin bowling rink) will be built over:

More station signage:

More signage: past & present, further from the station:

In what might be called the centre of Footscray, we we see a few things unchanged: live fish in a tank in Little Saigon, for example:

And other live stuff at the other end of the mall:

But in between, things are changing. We now have a special bus lane in Droop Street (it was a slack time, and the Firefly isn't in it because it's not a metro bus):

Yet another apartment building ready to rise (this time on the old RACV site):

The mall has been cut up and rebuilt, for various reasons which the locals consistently contest: anyway, you won't be able to set fire to the seating now, or put foam in the fountain:

It's a bit of a mess at the moment ...

But the signage is there (Victoria Uni has two campuses here)!

Further down: the African Al Fresco strip: four Afro eateries just on the east side of this block ...and you can get OxyGent Therapy!

Last edited by Yardmaster; June 4th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #49
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 261

The dolphin fountain is gone.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #50
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
The dolphin fountain is gone.
That's because everyone (let me be more accurate- so many people) threw stuff in the fountain. Yes, I miss it: I presume it will turn up somewhere not too far away, perhaps in Footscray Park ... I hope it will.

One thing they have kept is the pin-oaks (I think they're pin-oaks): and they've made quite an effort in regard to this. When I finally got my daughter back after one of those traumatic marriage break-ups (I had only one!) one of the first things I remember my daughter doing was bouncing along Footscray Mall.

The oldies reckon the whole thing is a waste of money: as I understand it, it mostly came from a State Government Grant. Often when I walked through the mall I was asked "you cruising?" ... I think the redesign of the mall had something to do with that sort of thing.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #51
Anberlin

They also turned the end of Nicholson Street, near Little Saigon, into a park thing..
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #52
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

a parking thing?
Old June 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #53
Anberlin

Old, but yeahhh.

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #54
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

The Hotels of Footscray

Prior to embarking on my usual afternoon pub-crawl, it occured to me not to leave the camera at home. Here's what I saw on the seventh of the seventh: in chronological order.
  1. Pioneer Hotel, Ballarat Road

The Pioneer- according to the stucco on its facade- was established 1845, which makes it pre-gold-rush. Obviously this isn't the original building, and indeed, this building hasn't functioned as a hotel for several decades: it's now residential units, between Ballarat Road and the Maribyrnong River, and directly opposite Flemington Racecourse. Due to the traffic along Ballarat Road, it is unfortunately or otherwise isolated from the rest of the suburb.

2. Exchange Hotel, Napier Street

One of my siblings recalls wild affairs at this pub in the last decade , and there's ads for Texas Poker at the rear.

3. Station Hotel, Napier Street

An interesting thing to speculate upon is how these pubs got there names: there are two, maybe three, pubs closer to the station than this one.

Footscray station- way back- was two stations- a mainline and a branch line station. Perhaps that explains it. Anyway, this pub is doing pretty well, as 3AW will tell you. It even looks good at the back:

4. Belgravia Hotel, Nicholson/Buckley Streets

This pub seemed to be doing a roaring business not so long ago: there were signs up here for exposed female flesh of a Friday night as I swung past here in a car with my daughter to the grandparents. Seems to be rather quiescent now.

5. Court House Hotel, Nicholson Street (Footscray Mall)

Closer to the station than Station Hotel, which is closer to the former Court House than here ... this hotel is located in the centre of the African enclave, so there are lots of very demurely clad women passing by, but there is an "adult products" shop next door.

6. Footscray Hotel, Hopkins Street

Right next to the railway bridge: it's shut, and been reopened in my time here.

7. Royal Hotel, Barkly Street/Droop Street

Architecurally this must be the most impressive Footscray Pub. It's fitted into a 45 degree corner between Barkly & Droop Streets: the sun was low in the sky, and I was loathe to shoot into it. This photo doesn't really do it justice. Has a reasonable pub menu; I have eaten there.

8. Barkly Hotel, Barkly Street

The only hotel I've ever been thrown out of. One of my workmates kept on leading me to this place, where he also had a lot of unreformed nazi sympathiser friends. I won't say I picked an argument: I simply started asking questions. I was frog-marched out of the place and thrown in the street.

These days, the old "Barkly" is the facade to the construction you can see behind ... can't say I'm sorry to see that pub go.

9. Victoria Hotel, Victoria Street

Also or previously known as "Hart's Hotel", this one ought to appeal here: the only pub so far that is framed by trees, has people sitting out on the footpath, and has art nouveau glazing ...

10. Buckingham Hotel, Buckingham Street

This is a quaint little hotel, in a very small one-way street: I'm not sure if it's still operating.

11. Rising Sun Hotel, Geelong Road

You've all heard of "The House of the Rising Sun", well, for us, there was this place- at "Mt. Mistake"- which carried that name. A landmark.

Many years back- perhaps even before "Footscray" became "The Western Bulldogs"- when footie trains were no longer stabled in the sidings at West Footscray of a Saturday afternoon during the course of a match at the western oval, "The Rising Sun" realized that the writing was on the wall, and it was announced that the pub would become: apartments.

The Pioneer (first entry in this list) seems to have pulled it off much better.

12. Plough Hotel, Geelong Road/Barkly Street

Hard to find a busier intersection than this for a pub:

But it carries weight, and was the last place I saw one of my best friends before he died of mesophylioma: which can be a western suburbs hazard.

Seems like the pub is doing OK.

13. Powell Hotel, Ballarat Road/Gordon Street

Last on the list: and Robert Baden-Powell would be proud of it ... some lovely Spannish Mission Archictecture here, perhaps defiled by the banners: "open 9 am to 5 am". Shit, it's still open!

Last edited by Yardmaster; July 7th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #55
Jardoga

Here are a few pics i took of Footscray housing.

Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #56
Dockside

Likes (Received): 61

WoW Yardmaster, put them all together and Footscray has some great Pubs.
I live just around from the Exchange hotel, and yes, it has had some wild nights.
In the 70s & 80s it was known for the fights between dock workers and truck drivers, it had suwdust floors and was right next door to a rabbit abattoir (you can see the old metal gate and roof of admin building on Whitehall st in that pic of yours)
In the last 10 years ive seen street fights, pissing in my yard, sex down the side of the lane at the back of my place, a riot of Africans after a hip hop night turned sour ect ect ect.
But in the last 2 years i have not heard beeb from them, whats going on ???
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #57
cjb287

Likes (Received): 34

I might pop over to check out Footscray on the next sunny day when I'm free... you've inspired me Yardmaster. It all looks so vibrant and exciting. I'll make sure to carry a 2nd empty wallet just in case . I'm sure it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM   #58
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

I took some photos today: mainly of multi-storey buildings currently under construction at the moment.

Axiom Apartments, Hopkins Street: the structure appears to be complete, they're working on the cladding etc. :

The Barkly Hotel redevelopment: apartments allegedly constructed by the Ministry of Housing.

Left: Allegro Apartments, Barkly St. (completed some time back). Right: Westville Central, Droop St./Nicholson Street: currently they are driving piles here. The photo is of a poster on the fence surrounding the site. The building includes the low-rise wing on the right:

Barkly Theatre redevelopment: the crane is at the rear of the site.

There's also a multi-storey tower going up on the Victoria University "Footscray park" campus.

Just for context, here's a few more of the taller buildings in the Footscray CBD:

Office/flat complex, corner Leeds & Shelley Street (an older photo, it's been there quite a while):

Flats in French Street:

Paisley Street: "Footscray Plaza" & "Metro West" (pretty ancient):

And the market: with Axiom blocking out the view of the city in the background:

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #59
Jardoga

Amazing pics! How much would those apartments and flats be going for?
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #60
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

I did look at the possibility of moving into Westville Central, but for $450K all I was going to get a one-bedroom flat with not much more than room for a flat-screen TV in the living room: have to get rid of the library. Off course, with a bit more money ...

Last edited by Yardmaster; September 4th, 2009 at 08:26 AM.