daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #201
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Kiryat Shmona - Eilat or something like that.
I found various different numbers on different sites, but it seems that the longest trip between two towns, i.e. Eilat and somewhere like Metula or Kiryat Shmona, is approx 470km.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #202
RoadUser

Netivei Ayalon, the company that built Tel Aviv's Ayalon freeway and other projects around the country, have posted a number of promotional videos on Youtube. Since they show work in progress, most of them are a bit out of date compared to the current state of the projects. I think they are quite interesting, if a little long . . .

There are some others too. Just search for "NetiveiAyalon" .

Road 431 from Modiin to the Anaba interchange:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSbAHIHatI

The Glilot interchange, just north of Tel Aviv, in 2004 before 2 new flyovers were added to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mtOv8r9Ac4&feature=user

Ayalon South from Rishon Lezion to Tel Aviv, filmed in 2006, part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDtz8nMCv9M&feature=user

Ayalon South, part 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y7ZjrgEmAY&feature=user
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #203
RoadUser

Hi all again,

On the Israel forum site Tapuz there is a Hebrew infrastructure forum full of pictures of half built highways and interchanges. Frankly, this kind of picture doesn't do much for me, as I can't really picture what the finished product will look like. However I thought I'd post one of them here. The credit goes to Tapuz user Iron53, whoever he is.

This is a picture of the Ein Hakore interchange on the soon-to-be-completed Road 431. This is quite a remarkable road, in that it is only 21km long, but it has 5 interchanges with other motorways - 1, 4 (twice), 6 and 20.

At Ein Hakore, Road 431 meets Road 4 and Road 42. In the picture you can quite clearly see that it is a three-level interchange, with one level going under the main road in tunnels and one over.

This is a map of the interchange system:

And here is the pic:

Finally, a piece of news: a contract has been signed with a private company for the construction of Road 531. This is a more northerly counterpart of Road 431. It will link Road 6 with Road 4 and Road 2 via Raanana and Herzliya. It will also have two railway tracks in its center, as will, eventually, Road 431.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #204
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

This is adorable, highway lined with palm trees! Neat! When the construction will be finished? And, i have one more question, regarding the Ayalon highway, is it going to be expanded to Hadera? Thanks in advance!
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #205
RoadUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Weed View Post
This is adorable, highway lined with palm trees! Neat! When the construction will be finished? And, i have one more question, regarding the Ayalon highway, is it going to be expanded to Hadera? Thanks in advance!
It's supposed to open in January 2009.

As for the Ayalon, as far as I know, it's eventually supposed to reach Netanya, but I have never heard of any plans to extend it any further.

Hadera is already served by Roads 2 and 4, and reachable by Road 6. It's hard to see why it would need another major highway.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #206
RoadUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Thanks for that, amazing!!! I was just very recently wondering why Israel isn't covered (whereas its neighbours are), and now it's there and extremely detailed Even has proper interchanges, one-way streets, and gas stations marked. Hopefully street names follow soon.

I love the road numbers too, they actually used the real route markers.
If you change the language to Hebrew then the street names appear, in Hebrew.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #207
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
If you change the language to Hebrew then the street names appear, in Hebrew.
Ahh, of course Thanks.
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #208
RoadUser

Quote:
It's supposed to open in January 2009.

As for the Ayalon, as far as I know, it's eventually supposed to reach Netanya, but I have never heard of any plans to extend it any further.

Hadera is already served by Roads 2 and 4, and reachable by Road 6. It's hard to see why it would need another major highway.

Hi,

It turns out there is or was a plan to extend the Ayalon as far north as Hadera, but it is all but abandoned in favor of widening Road 2.

The Ayalon is going to be extended north to where it will meet with Road 531 at Rishpon (near Herzliya), and that, apparently, is that, according to the Hebrew Wikipedia.
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #209
ZOHAR
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 43

image hosted on flickr

I could never leave Tel Aviv(Tel Aviv house anthem)

Tel Aviv is a RAINBOW in the Middle East.

AMSTERDAM HERE I COME;)
ZOHAR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:37 AM   #210
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

I find Israels road look impressive.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM   #211
RoadUser

Hi all,

Road 431 is getting very near completion. Some parts have already have markings and signs.

This sign (from the Tapuz infrastructure forum) confirms that it will have motorway status. It is therefore the first three-digit motorway in the country.

It also shows the rather unusual way that roundabouts are signed in Israel. The roundabout in question is on the Kiryat Rishon interchange, which consists of a single bridge over the motorway with a roundabout on either end. Reminds me of England (The interchange structure, not the signs):

And here is Road 431 itself. No, I don't know who that is driving on it . . . :

Credit: Tapuz user dctgdctg.

Last edited by RoadUser; October 1st, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #212
TheCat

Nice pictures That roundabout sign is strange indeed, I've actually never seen roundabout indications on directional signs in Israel before, although it's been a long time since I was there.

There are virtually no roundabouts in Ontario anyway, so it's been a long time since I've seen one in general
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM   #213
RoadUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Nice pictures That roundabout sign is strange indeed, I've actually never seen roundabout indications on directional signs in Israel before, although it's been a long time since I was there.

There are virtually no roundabouts in Ontario anyway, so it's been a long time since I've seen one in general
Roundabouts are a fairly new phenomenon here. Fifteen years ago there were practically none, and now there are thousands. However, most of them are in town, and relatively few on the highways, so that kind of sign is not one you see every day.

Roundabout based interchanges are quite rare here. There is this very big one at Holon on the Ayalon South:

and there are a couple of this type, like this one on Road 2, and the above-mentioned new one on Road 431:

and that's about it.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM   #214
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Those big roundabouts are not really roundabouts but more like a one-way street. We call them a "traffic square" in the Netherlands (although they are oval or a circle).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #215
TheCat

True, the one in the first picture on the Ayalon would be something like that, but the two at the bottom seem like normal roundabouts.

As for roundabouts in Israel, it is true that now almost every intersection in a small town is a roundabout But in my town there were quite a few even long ago. I know Tel Aviv and many other cities in the centre use traffic lights more, since they are built more similar to the North American model.

It's funny, because I recently noticed that in the new driver's handbook in Ontario, they added a section on driving through roundabouts, which wasn't there when I was learning to drive about 5 years ago But here they still are almost non-existent (although I had the "privilege" of driving through 2 roundabouts in a city about 100 km away from Toronto, which was quite amusing to me since I didn't expect them to be there).
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #216
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Hi,

It turns out there is or was a plan to extend the Ayalon as far north as Hadera, but it is all but abandoned in favor of widening Road 2.

The Ayalon is going to be extended north to where it will meet with Road 531 at Rishpon (near Herzliya), and that, apparently, is that, according to the Hebrew Wikipedia.
Hi,
I was told that they wanted to expand the Hadera industrial zone, and that's why the local authorities lobbied extensively to expand the Ayalon highway... That's what I heard, so I asked...
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM   #217
ophirn
Urbanity addicted

Likes (Received): 0

Rush hour in Nesher (a small city in Haifa district)

no need to explain...(this is not in India)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
ophirn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM   #218
TheCat

Looks like cattle from one of the villages in the area got lost. It sometimes happens in the north, I remember once every few years cows would randomly find themselves in my town
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM   #219
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

in many cases it endes with accidents when the cattle jump into the road and the driver can't stop.

like in the pics here: (some photos can be hard to animal lovers)
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
and the deadliest accident until now. hard pictures.(the driver died)Link 5

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio

Last edited by Urban Legend; October 21st, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM   #220
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Who let the cows out? (moo, moo, moo, moo)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote