daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #261
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Looks great motorway the railway pass in the middle of this motorway (island)?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #262
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Looks great motorway the railway pass in the middle of this motorway (island)?
Yes. In fact, Rishon Lezion - Rishonim station is also between the two carriageways of Road 431:

We've never had a thread about railways stations in the middle of motorways here. Maybe we should.

At the moment there are 5 railway stations in the middle of Road 20, and four more being built. Two or three new stations will be built along Road 531, which is supposed to be constructed in the next couple of years.

At Paatey Modiin station, the platforms will be between the carriageways of the urban section of Road 431. Only one carriageway is open now (the other is under construction), and you have to walk via a tunnel under the road to get from the ticket hall to the platforms.

A railway line is also supposed to be built along the whole of Road 431, between Rishon Lezion and Modiin.

The final result will be something like 13-14 stations built in the center divide of motorways. Is it an Israeli pecularity, or is it common?

Last edited by RoadUser; February 18th, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #263
Kalamai

Likes (Received): 523

The new Road 431 again.
Some interchanges.

Nesharim: Roads 431, 6, 44, 424.

image hosted on flickr

Anava: Roads 431, 1.

image hosted on flickr

Ein Hakore/Kiryat Rishon: Roads 431, 4, 42, 4311

image hosted on flickr
Kalamai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #264
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Hi all,

Road 431 is finally starting to appear on the online maps. These are all in Hebrew but you should get the point.

1) The motorway system south of Tel Aviv:

2) Triangle near Modiin:

3) Triangle near Rishon Lezion:

4) Anava Interchange:

RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #265
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamai View Post
The new Road 431 again.
Some interchanges.

Nesharim: Roads 431, 6, 44, 424.

image hosted on flickr

Anava: Roads 431, 1.

image hosted on flickr

Ein Hakore/Kiryat Rishon: Roads 431, 4, 42, 4311

image hosted on flickr
Interesting plans @Kalamai
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #266
TheCat

It's been a long time. I came back from a short trip to Israel a few weeks ago, and only today got a chance to upload 2 driving videos that I made. The videos were upconverted to HD so you can watch them on the big player, although the actual footage is not HD.

Night drive from the airport to my hometown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQllwU3wI8

Day drive from my hometown to a city at the outskirts of the desert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAqx1Cu9TaE

The descriptions of the videos are very detailed, and so is the labeling of all the roads in the videos, so I'm not going to go into detail here in the thread.
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #267
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Very nice vids!

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yes, I checked them out too..

The daylight video is a bit too fast for my opinion But I already replied that on youtube.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #269
TheCat

Yep, you beat me to it Thanks. I agree 100% that it's too fast. The original one I made was almost 15 minutes, and I thought that with a Director account I'll be able to upload it, only to discover that Youtube has set a hard limit of 10 minutes on all accounts. I didn't really want to split it into 2 parts, so I simply took my 15-minute video and sped it up about 40% more.
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #270
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

From what i could notice in that video, lighting in israeli highways is very carefully planned.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:30 AM   #271
TheCat

Well, I don't know the details, but as far as I know pretty much all the intersections and interchanges are always lighted fully, whereas rural sections of highway are usually not lighted, but instead almost all the roads (at least the more important ones) have reflectors embedded in the pavement (usually on the edge lines).

One nice thing in Israel compared to Canada is that the national standards demand all roads to have a yellow side line at the edge (unless there is a curb). In Canada (at least in Ontario) I stumbled upon many rural country roads where this line was either completely faded or never drawn in the first place, and it's sometimes quite hard to drive in pitch-dark conditions.
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #272
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Does someone have a good translation of "motorways" (plural) for the title of this thread?
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #273
TheCat

Actually, the current title is singular, not plural.

The plural is:
כבישים מהירים
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #274
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What's the prefix of motorways in Israel? Is it just "Kvish 6" or "highway 6". In many countries, we say "A6" or "I-6", I wonder if there is something similar in Israel.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Something I made using Google Maps
image hosted on flickr
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #276
TheCat

Ooh thanks, very nice map

Israel does not use prefixes on any of its road numbers. In general, the convention is to number the more important highways with either 1 or 2 digits, and all other secondary and regional roads with 3 or 4 digits.

However, as you can clearly see, the numbers do not always suggest the design standards of the roads. Most sections of the 1-digit roads are motorways, but with many inconsistencies:
  • Highways that continue beyond the "green line" (into the West Bank), do so as regular non-motorway roads (e.g. highways 1 and 5).
  • Highway 2 is essentially a motorway its whole length (no at-grade intersections), but because of relatively strict (as far as I know, European) motorway standards in the country, large parts of it were downgraded from motorway status (e.g. narrow/no shoulders, tight curves, etc.). However, these problems should be fixed in the near future.
  • Highway 4 is similar, but has several sections officially classified as motorways, and others that aren't. I'm not sure if it will be converted to a motorway in the near future.

The numbers, however, are mainly for the regional importance of the roads, and not their quality. As a result, some motorways are numbered using 2 or 3 digits (e.g. Highways 20 and 431). These are regional or connecting roads, and are numbered as such (this is similar to Interstates in the US having 3 digits when they connect other more important Interstates).

There are some other caveats with Israel's motorway system as well. For example, the official default speed limit on motorways is 110 km/h. In practice, however, whenever you enter a motorway you are always greeted with a sign showing a lower limit (90 or 100). The only exception is Highway 6, where you can actually travel 110 in most sections. I think that this is silly, but possibly when the planned upgrades to the relatively old Israeli motorway system is completed, these limits will be removed.

Currently, the only way construction standards are indicated on Israeli signs and maps (those that show the number symbols) is via colour: blue numbers indicate motorways, and the other numbers (red or green, depending on significance) indicate non-motorways. However, even here there are some inconsistencies, with certain sections being upgraded to motorway signs without updating the numbers to blue, and vice versa.

By the way, in Hebrew:
"kvish" = road
"kvish mahir" (the title of this thread, but singular) = fast road, i.e. motorway
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #277
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another big map, this time of the Gush Dan metropolitan area (Tel Aviv-Yafo)
image hosted on flickr
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #278
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Amazing night picture:
[IMG]http://i31.************/ncf5g3.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #279
TheCat

Nice pic I still have a bunch of road photos from my trip a month ago, which I haven't uploaded, but I plan to do so soon, since I made them mostly for this forum. The quality isn't great though, since I used my cell phone.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #280
Foolish Farmer
Athleta Christi

Likes (Received): 4

The picture is amazing and fascinating! Was it taken in Tel Aviv?
Foolish Farmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote