daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #281
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Farmer View Post
The picture is amazing and fascinating! Was it taken in Tel Aviv?
Yes, that's Tel Aviv. The road is the Ayalon Freeway, aka Road 20, and the big buildings are the Azrieli Center, which is basically a large shopping mall with three office towers on top.

I see there's been plenty of activity in this thread since I last dropped in

The big news here is still Road 431. While the road is finished, there is still work going on connecting the various interchanges to the roads it connects to. Nesharim Interchange, with Road 6, is finished now, and most of the connections at the enormous Ein Hakore interchange, which is definitely the most complex in the country, are finished too, although there is still work on Road 42. I was there on Monday, and while the connections all seem to be open, the roads under the motorway are still being worked on.

The Anava Interchange, near Modiin, is complete. Both carriageways of the urban section of Road 431, which goes into Modiin, are now open now, although the interchange which allows entrance to Paatey Modiin railway station and a large shopping area is not. You have to leave the road via the off ramps and get back on via the on-ramps while the bridges are being built.

Other news:

- The next section of Road 6, which will take it as far north as Yokneam, is going to open on July 20.

- The new bridge at the Glilot Interchange finally opened, connecting Road 20 and Road 5. It was several months late. This means that there are now, at last, no traffic lights at Glilot, which is one of the busiest junctions in the country. I have no idea whether this has reduced congestion, but I would assume that it has.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #282
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Highway 20: Ayalon freeway - נתיבי איילון

route:
[IMG]http://i32.************/2uhy4wl.png[/IMG]

pics from Google Earth:

[IMG]http://i31.************/kcxhz4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/2urasxx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/ip9xeo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/29lka5w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/24lil44.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/33cvk9c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/b7exy8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/2mdmd1i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/2d92rnc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/1zwks3l.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/2agmgkm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/rbzlzm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/2eg9n9e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/207qbgm.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #283
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Knowledgeable View Post
Transportation Ministry to Hebraize road signs

Minister Katz concocts plan meant to create uniform spelling of names on roadside signs so that English, Arabic names will mimic Hebrew ones. Arab MKs slam move: 'Yisrael Katz will come and go but Shefa-'Amr is here to stay,' says Hadash Chairman Barakeh
Udi Etzion

Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz recently ordered a change in roadside signs across Israel's highways so that the all names appearing on them in English and Arabic would be a direct transliteration of Hebrew.

For example, the sign directing drivers to Jerusalem would read Yerushalayim, Nazareth will become Natsrat and Caesarea will become Kesariya. Arab names are to be changed accordingly.

The Transportation Ministry has been working on the project for over a year and says its main purpose is to create uniform roadside spelling for more than 2,000 names of cities, towns and villages.

Current road signs, says the ministry, reflect the vast changes and development in Israel's highways, and as such there are many variations of places' names. Caesarea, for instance, appears as Caesarea, Qesarya, Qesariyya and Ceysaria.

"The lack of uniform spelling on signs has been a problem for those speaking foreign languages, citizens and tourists alike," explains Yeshaayahu Ronen, head of the ministry's Transportation Planning Department.

"It impairs drivers' ability to find their way and we have decided to follow many other countries around the world and make the transliteration of all names correspond directly with Hebrew." Katz authorized Ronen's department to decide which signs would be replaced.

"Almost all Israeli communities' names have previous names. Some Palestinian maps still refer to the Israeli cities by their pre-1948 names, since they see them as settlements," said Katz. "I will not allow that on our signs. This government, and certainly this minister, will not allow anyone to turn Jewish Jerusalem to Palestinian al-Quds."

Katz is convinced the new style will not infringe on Arab drivers' ability to find their way. "We will continue to serve the Arab public and have signs in Arabic. I have no problem with an Area B (defined by the Oslo Accords as areas under the Palestinian Authority's civil control and Israel's security control) sign reading 'Nablus' in Arabic.

"The names on the signs should reflect the reality of the local population, which is exactly why Israeli signs must have Hebrew transliteration."

As for the cost of the new plan, the Transportation Ministry said the change will be gradual. Ministry Spokesman Avner Ovadia says that no existing sign will be changed and that the new ordinance will only affect new signs, or those replaced due to wear.

(Criticism)
MK Tibi: Al-Quds will remain al-Quds

Arab Knesset members were infuriated by the proposal: "Al-Quds will remain al-Quds and Shfaram will remain Shefa-'Amr," said MK Ahmad Tibi (United Arab List-Ta'al).

"Minister Katz is mistaken if he thinks that changing a few words can erase the existence of the Arab people or their connection to Israel. This is a blatant attempt at harming the Arabic language and everything it represents."

Hadash Chairman Mohammad Barakeh added that the decision was too far-reaching: "Yisrael Katz is merely the transportation minister and it appears that the power went to his head… I hereby inform him that he cannot change the nature of a place. Yisrael Katz will come and go but Shefa-'Amr is here to stay."

Minister of Minority Affairs Avishay Braverman criticized the decision as well: "Road signs are not a political issue. Arabic is an official language in the State of Israel," he said.

"I would suggest the Minister Katz place much needed street signs in Arab communities before he changes road signs."

'Criticism represents fringe minority'

"Minister Katz has deiced to set a uniform standard to the 2,500 names appearing on Israel's roadside signs. According to that decision, communities' names would be spelled according to their official Israeli names," said Barak Sari, Katz's communications advisor.

"(The names of) Jewish communities, and Jerusalem first and foremost, would be written in their Hebrew names in Hebrew, English and Arabic; just as Arab communities' names, like Umm al-Fahm for example, would be written in their Arab name in all three languages.

The criticism aimed at the decision, added his statement, "Represents a fringe minority which is willing to accept attempts by anti-Israeli and anti-Zionist elements to annul Israel's identity as a Jewish and democratic state.

"Anyone willing to refer to Jerusalem as al-Quds on official State signs is collaborating with the Palestinian propaganda which does not recognize post-1948 Jewish communities and still demands they be called by their Arab names."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...745563,00.html
Can't say I'm too excited... I'm usually in favor of the local name, but in case of different alphabets, English might be better.
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #284
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Imposing naming is not a very good idea - it's like us writing on road signs Târgu Mureş / Törgú Múres or Székelyudvárhely / Secheiudvarhei where Hungarians are more than 50% of the population. This is both rediculous and nonsensical because the translations of the respective names are Marosvásárhely and Odorheiu Secuiesc respectively.

Direction signs are intended to be helpful, not political.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #285
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Direction signs are intended to be helpful, not political.
Tell Belgium that
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #286
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I don't think changing the names of the ancient cities and towns is a good idea, since I'm pretty sure seeing "Yerushalaim" will confuse the heck out of many people (especially tourists), whereas "Jerusalem" is known by most. Same with "Tiberias", which would become "Tveria" under this scheme. Can't comment on the Arabic names since I cannot read them, though I presume if it is known by most Arabs as "Al Quds" then perhaps that's what it should remain.

However, I think this is missing the point. Israel DOES have a very big problem with consistency/uniformity. For example, the "Caesarea, Qesarya, Qesariyya and Ceysaria" is indeed a big problem, and should be fixed (in this case, I'd say "Caesarea" is the best name, as that is the most widely accepted English spelling, even though in Hebrew it is called "Keisariya").

So there is definitely a lot of work to be done, but it should simply focus on standardization. In other words, choose one spelling and stick with it all the time. All modern towns should stick with a single "Hebraised" spelling (currently there are no standard transliteration rules, so you get many variations). However, I think the widely-accepted English and Arabic names of famous towns should remain as they are, but spelled consistently and correctly.
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #287
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 537

Highway 1 is going to be widened and straightened, check this out:

*The green line will be the new highway, the yellow part will be tunnel.
They are going to:
1. Add an extra lane on both directions to the entire road
2. Two 650 meters long tunnels+another tunnel (length is unknown)
3. 800 meters long bridge
4. At least 2 new interchanges (to highways 9 and 16)

This entire thing will cost at least 500 million US $ (as we all know projects in Israel, it will cost double the planned cost which is 1 billion US $).
dark_shadow1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #288
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 537

A video of the highway 1 project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRM0e...eature=related
dark_shadow1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #289
Kalamai

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
Thanks.

BTW, you can embedd youtube videos here:

Another related video.

Kalamai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #290
Kalamai

21 July 2009. The northern segment of Road 6 (the Cross-Israel Highway) between the Iron Junction and Yokne'am was opened to traffic after two years of construction.
The 18-kilometer segment includes bridges, tunnels. The cost of the segment was NIS 1.3 billion (about $330 mln).

A few pictures (by שחר ערן from tapuz forum)

Old August 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #291
Kalamai

June 1, 2009.

The mining stage of the Carmel tunnel under the Mount Carmel, just under Haifa neighborhoods.
So far it is the longest tunnel in Israel - 9 km (4.5 x 2) undeground.
The works were provided by a chinese company CCECC. About 600 chinese workers worked on the project.

Here is a video (mainly in hebrew).
It was mentioned there, that when the project managers sow what kind of machinery the chinese going to use, there was a greatd deal of doubt if they will be able to do the job. But evetually they did it excellently, a few months ahead of schedule.

Last edited by Kalamai; August 13th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #292
Danylo17

Likes (Received): 0

Israel is an amazing country

The roads look very good.. but the overall infrastructure in Israel is well done

I'm wondering if there will be a motorway/expressway to Eilat in the future..?
Danylo17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #293
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamai View Post
June 1, 2009.

The mining stage of the Carmel tunnel under the Mount Carmel, just under Haifa neighborhoods.
So far it is the longest tunnel in Israel - 9 km (4.5 x 2) undeground.
The works were provided by a chinese company CCECC. About 600 chinese workers worked on the project.

Here is a video (mainly in hebrew).
It was mentioned there, that when the project managers sow what kind of machinery the chinese going to use, there was a greatd deal of doubt if they will be able to do the job. But evetually they did it excellently, a few months ahead of schedule.

Oh wow, great news! For some reason I was always under the impression that this project was going to be completed in many years, but the Chinese have done a great job. It will be indeed awesome to see this completed in just over a year. A project that's ahead of schedule, now that's a rarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danylo17 View Post
Israel is an amazing country

The roads look very good.. but the overall infrastructure in Israel is well done

I'm wondering if there will be a motorway/expressway to Eilat in the future..?
I always hope for such an expressway too, but I don't think it will be done anytime in the near future. The low traffic volumes do not justify the great cost of such a project, although eventually I'd like to see a motorway running from Metula to Eilat. Possibly it will be done as an extension of Highway 6 in the very far future.
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #294
RoadUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Oh wow, great news! For some reason I was always under the impression that this project was going to be completed in many years, but the Chinese have done a great job. It will be indeed awesome to see this completed in just over a year. A project that's ahead of schedule, now that's a rarity

I always hope for such an expressway too, but I don't think it will be done anytime in the near future. The low traffic volumes do not justify the great cost of such a project, although eventually I'd like to see a motorway running from Metula to Eilat. Possibly it will be done as an extension of Highway 6 in the very far future.
I seriously doubt that's going to happen. It's not worth it, financially. Despite all the talk, I also doubt they'll ever build a railway to Eilat, unless it can be proven that it's worth it to run freight trains down there. Even so, it would still be too slow for passenger lines.

On a similar subject, I used the southern section of Road 6 a couple of weeks ago for the first time, from the Nesharim Interchange (near Ramle, where Road 6 joins Road 431) to about 20km north of Beer Sheva, where it links seamlessly with Road 40. Unlike the larger-than-life Road 431, it's not terribly impressive in itself - it's just an ordinary 4-lane motorway, but it certainly dramatically cuts journey times and makes Beer Sheva more accessible. It's also toll-free after a certain point.

PS. Following up from my message of July 10th - all of the interchange connections on Road 431 are now finished, AFAIK.
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #295
TheCat

I also traveled that section a few months ago, you can see it in one of the videos I posted on my Youtube channel. I actually filmed Highway 6 in its entirety at the time, even though shortly after the section to Yokneam was opened.

The nice thing about Highway 6 are the low traffic volumes, at least at the time we drove on it. You can comfortably speed your way through.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #296
RoadUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I actually filmed Highway 6 in its entirety at the time,

When's the cinema release ?
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #297
TheCat

Enjoy :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAqx1Cu9TaE

If you have enough bandwidth/processing power, select "HD" at the bottom. There is also another video on my channel of some other highways (1, 2, 5, 20), though in the dark. And of course, a bunch of videos I made in Canada.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #298
Kalamai

Highway 2 ( Kvish haKhof) renovation.

Road widening and a new bridge above Poleg stream near Netanya.

By GTS8 from Tapuz:

During the works (by CivilEng from Tapuz)

Last edited by Kalamai; August 19th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #299
TheCat

When is Road 2 going to become an official "blue" motorway?
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #300
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There will be eight lanes near Netanya? Or from Tel Aviv to Netanya?