daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #21
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Lagend View Post
onley in english?
maby we need to stop talking in hebrew too? let's talk in english and change our flag in american one.

i don't think you right guys. i think big sings is very good thing. you can see them clearly.
lol chill man, I was just kidding. However, I do think that there is room for improvement on the signs. For example, in Greece (from what I've seen), each language is written in a different colour, that makes for better contrast. Also, they shouldn't write two languages sometimes side-by-side, sometimes one underneath the other, it is a little confusing.

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #22
frozen

Likes (Received):

Impressive! I really like Tel Aviv knot roads and freeways. Thanks for sharing your pics!
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #23
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

Highway 6

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #24
Urban Legend

videos

Hw no. 1 (Tel Aviv- Jerusalem)
direction: Jerusalem

Hw no. 2
direction: from Netaniya to Herzeliya

Hw no. 40
direction: Beer Sheva

i didn't recognize the roads (in the end it's 44 road)

Jerusalem City of gold

My pics on Panoramio

Last edited by Urban Legend; August 9th, 2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #25
Henriko
Sympathizer

Likes (Received): 265

Qerayot interchange (Northern Israel, near Haifa)

Highway#1 (Tel Aviv - Jerusalem)

Glilot interchange ( Northern Tel Aviv)

Motorway#31 Beer Sheva - Arad) ,Southern Israel

Last edited by Henriko; August 8th, 2007 at 09:49 PM.
Henriko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #26
greek_eagle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
onley in english?
maby we need to stop talking in hebrew too? let's talk in english and change our flag in american one.

i don't think you right guys. i think big sings is very good thing. you can see them clearly.
Before commenting on important issues such as what you chose to comment on, please rethink what you are about to state. The choice of languages has to do with the two major languages spoken in Israel. It is similar to those who live in Canada who experience the use of French and English on everything regardless of the fact that English is spoken by more ....French speakers are a very large and sound group that fought to be officially recognized and were officially in 1971. The English or Latin used around the world is simply to help all the rest who simply must travel through or live in an area and need to be assisted when traveling. Here in Greece where I live, Greek is officially used...but on street signs including freeway signs, English or Latin translations are used. I find it hard to be part of a global community with so much travel in and between us all and have language as a barrier to travel. Nowadays, people travel gobally to places with foreign alphabets and script but with the use of International English as the major language of travel this has been overcome more or less. I find it surprising though that I didn't read anyone commenting on the sign about keeping the license plate clean...which is something that I am sure holds hidden messages. But rather we focus on ignorance.
greek_eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #27
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek_eagle View Post
Before commenting on important issues such as what you chose to comment on, please rethink what you are about to state. The choice of languages has to do with the two major languages spoken in Israel. It is similar to those who live in Canada who experience the use of French and English on everything regardless of the fact that English is spoken by more ....French speakers are a very large and sound group that fought to be officially recognized and were officially in 1971. The English or Latin used around the world is simply to help all the rest who simply must travel through or live in an area and need to be assisted when traveling. Here in Greece where I live, Greek is officially used...but on street signs including freeway signs, English or Latin translations are used. I find it hard to be part of a global community with so much travel in and between us all and have language as a barrier to travel. Nowadays, people travel gobally to places with foreign alphabets and script but with the use of International English as the major language of travel this has been overcome more or less. I find it surprising though that I didn't read anyone commenting on the sign about keeping the license plate clean...which is something that I am sure holds hidden messages. But rather we focus on ignorance.
Keeping the license plate clean is required on highway 6 because it is an electronic toll road, where a picture of the license plate is taken if the person does not subscribe to a transponder.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #28
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Keeping the license plate clean is required on highway 6 because it is an electronic toll road, where a picture of the license plate is taken if the person does not subscribe to a transponder.

thank you for that piece of important information. My mind went elsewhere as you may have understood by my comment. Actually that's a relief ...I'm so glad I was thinking the wrong reason for the sign.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #29
Hebrewtext

Likes (Received): 2967

road no.20

230+ towers built & U.C

129+ towers approved

100 towers proposed
Hebrewtext está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #30
Hebrewtext

Likes (Received): 2967

road no.1

230+ towers built & U.C

129+ towers approved

100 towers proposed
Hebrewtext está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #31
greek_eagle

beautiful shots of the roadways! as far as the signage goes...the Israeli highway signage appears to have a blend of both American and European characteristics in their signage. The green color is indeed an American prototype in signage which is affectionately used in The United States, Canada and other countries including Greece and as we see here, Israel...though there are characteristics and this is evident as I said in not only color but also font. On the other hand, if we were to look at other signage such as the speed limit signs, they tend to be characteristic of the European/International signage. Here in Greece as another member said, the billingual signs use a different color [white and gold] to designate in Greek and in English[Latin].
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrewtext View Post
road no.1

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #32
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek_eagle View Post
beautiful shots of the roadways! as far as the signage goes...the Israeli highway signage appears to have a blend of both American and European characteristics in their signage. The green color is indeed an American prototype in signage which is affectionately used in The United States, Canada and other countries including Greece and as we see here, Israel...though there are characteristics and this is evident as I said in not only color but also font. On the other hand, if we were to look at other signage such as the speed limit signs, they tend to be characteristic of the European/International signage. Here in Greece as another member said, the billingual signs use a different color [white and gold] to designate in Greek and in English[Latin].
Thanks for the comment One point regarding the colour of the signage, however. The situation is actually not as simple True freeways in Israel are recognized by the European blue "motorway" sign, and they actually use BLUE signs, as you might have spotted in some of the pictures. However, many expressways in Israel are not classified legally as freeways (often they are built to motorway standards, but they may contain several at-grade intersections, that's usually the main reason), and they use green signs. As a result, the majority of roads in Israel use green signs and are not officially classified as motorways (in Israel we often say the Italian word "autostrada").

Also, on true motorways, usually signs describing destinations off the freeway are in green signs, because they refer to exits to non-motorway roads, whereas right beside them, the sign that tells about destinations if you continue driving on the motorway (with arrows pointing directly down), would be blue in this case.

The picture directly above this post (the one you commented on) is even more complicated. Highway 1 ceases to be classified as a freeway around the entrance to the West Bank. The part in that particular picture is around that area, and there are 2 main things to notice there: 1. The signage is green, and 2. The little number "1" (if you can spot it on the sign), is in RED colour instead of blue, which means the same thing. The stretch of highway 1 between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem uses blue signs for destinations along the freeway (which is only pretty much Tel Aviv in one direction, and Jerusalem in the other), and the number "1" is written in blue.

Lastly, the official speed limit on a "blue" motorway is 110km/h by default, even though to this day in most places there is a 100km/h limit enforced by signs, except for highway 6. On the other hand, most "green" dual carriageways have a limit of 90km/h.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #33
Urban Legend

i didn't understand why the color of the road no. is in red?

Jerusalem City of gold

My pics on Panoramio
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #34
TheCat

Quote:
i didn't understand why the color of the road no. is in red?
It is in red because that part of the highway is not classified as a freeway (not a "kvish mahir"). I don't know the reason for that (maybe there are at-grade traffic light intersections).

The part between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem uses only blue coloured signs and numbers, because it is a "kvish mahir".
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #35
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
It is in red because that part of the highway is not classified as a freeway (not a "kvish mahir"). I don't know the reason for that (maybe there are at-grade traffic light intersections).

The part between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem uses only blue coloured signs and numbers, because it is a "kvish mahir".
Itīs not really all that complicated: Motorways have blue signs, and most other intercity highways have green ones. The latter can be very close to full motorway standard, like the Geha highway (part of Road 4), which is a very large 6-lane all-interchange urban highway, but which is not classified as a motorway. The reason for this, I think, is that there are two petrol stations by the road, which are too close for a motorway. The section of Road 1 which is nearest Jerusalem is not a motorway. It does not have any traffic lights, but I think some of the curves are too tight for full motorway standard.

The big difference between Israel and, say, the UK, is that the color of turn-off signs is that of the destination road and not that of the road they are on. In other words, a motorway sign directing you to a non-motorway highway would be green, not blue. The only blue signs on the motorways are either those showing distances, introducing interchanges, or directing to other motorways.

Conversely, turn off signs on highways directing to motorways are blue.

Incidentally, there are 6 or 7 stretches of full motorway in Israel: part of 1, part of 2, part of 4, part of 5, all of 6, and all of 20 (Ayalon). Apparently Road 22 in Haifa is also a motorway, but I've never seen it. Road 431, which is under construction between Modiin and Rishon Lezion, will be a full motorway, which will link up with Roads 1, 4, 20 and 6 in a series of very large interchanges.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #36
TheCat

Begin Expressway

This is the Begin Expressway in Jerusalem. It is not a full motorway, but is quite close to that, and is designated an expressway.

Old August 12th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #37
RoadUser

Hi all,

Here is a half decent roadmap of the central part of the country. Motorways are marked in green, lesser roads in red and orange. A better map is available but in Hebrew only. I'll post it if anyone's interested:

A few aerial photos of some of the larger interchanges in the country:

The Ganot interchange. Road 1 meets Road 4 just outside Tel Aviv:

Right next to the Ganot interchange in another one, with road 44, and together they form one big system. Bottom right you can see the Shappirim interchange, where Road 1 meets Road 412:

The Ben Shemen interchange, which I think is the largest one in the country in terms of area. It is over 2.5km from one end to the other. Road 1 meets Road 6 meets Road 443 meets Road 444:

The Kessem interchange. Road 6 meets Road 5 meets Road 444:

Old August 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #38
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

WOW! I can't believe Israel have these super great expressways. These are super nice! Just a question though. Are you guys also building such highways in the Palestinian territories? I wonder what are the restrictions you are imposing to the Palestinian drivers or to the border countries? Do you permit them to drive in your highway with big trucks, buses and vehicles that carries dangerous materials or you are not permitting them to drive at all?
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #39
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Are you guys also building such highways in the Palestinian territories?
no we don't build such roads in Palestinian areas. they can build it by themself but they spend all their money on terror. Palestinians don't have such roads. they don't have highways at all.
Road 1 between east Jerusalem to the border with Jordan is the onley highway they can drive without special premition.

Quote:
I wonder what are the restrictions you are imposing to the Palestinian drivers or to the border countries? Do you permit them to drive in your highway with big trucks, buses and vehicles that carries dangerous materials or you are not permitting them to drive at all?

you almost don't see Palestinian cars on Israeli territory. they can get into Israel with their car onley with premision wich given in special conditions (like visiting family in Israel).
about the buses and trucks they can't get into Israel not from Palestinian area and not from the countrys around. People who want to cross the border from Jordan to Israel need to get off the bus, go on foot through the checkpoints and then to get on a Israeli bus wich whaits for them on the border. the same thing fot people who come from Israel to Jordan.
about trucks with dangerous materials- they can't get into Israel at all.

Jerusalem City of gold

My pics on Panoramio
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #40
RoadUser

Quote:
WOW! I can't believe Israel have these super great expressways. These are super nice! Just a question though. Are you guys also building such highways in the Palestinian territories? I wonder what are the restrictions you are imposing to the Palestinian drivers or to the border countries? Do you permit them to drive in your highway with big trucks, buses and vehicles that carries dangerous materials or you are not permitting them to drive at all?
I'd say the previous writer was quite accurate in his description. You used to see quite a lot of Palestinian and Jordanian cars in Israel. This stopped when the violence flared up a few years ago. Strangely enough, I saw a Jordanian (I think) car on one of the highways just a couple of days ago, which was quite a surprise.

As for roads, one of the biggest projects currently under construction is Road 431. Follow this link: http://www.danya-cebus.co.il/heb/M3/M3_5_H.asp

click on the map and you will get a zoomable, scrollable map of the road. It's all in Hebrew, but you should get the idea.