daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #401
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Carmel Tunnels:

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #402
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Carmel Tunnels:

Nice video. I hope the police don't get hold of it, since whoever made it was obviously speeding.

That wouldn't be the first time, BTW; someone was once arrested for speeding on the basis of a Youtube video, but he actually showed his speedometer in the video. What an idiot.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #403
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
Nice video. I hope the police don't get hold of it, since whoever made it was obviously speeding.

That wouldn't be the first time, BTW; someone was once arrested for speeding on the basis of a Youtube video, but he actually showed his speedometer in the video. What an idiot.
Forget the speeding- look at 0:42-0:47.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #404
TheCat

Are you referring to the undertaking? Pretty common in Israel, as it is in North America, especially since many people like to drive slowly in the left lane.

It's not clear how badly the guy was speeding from the video, especially since it's sped up. If you look at some of my videos, it is also clear that I was speeding (since I pass everyone on the freeway), but I rarely go above 120 km/h, which is a pretty normal speed on our freeways. Compared to someone who's driving 105 km/h, especially when the video is sped up, it looks like I'm going much faster.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #405
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Are you referring to the undertaking? Pretty common in Israel, as it is in North America, especially since many people like to drive slowly in the left lane.
Speeding is common as well- it doesn't mean it's legal.

Quote:
It's not clear how badly the guy was speeding from the video, especially since it's sped up. If you look at some of my videos, it is also clear that I was speeding (since I pass everyone on the freeway), but I rarely go above 120 km/h, which is a pretty normal speed on our freeways. Compared to someone who's driving 105 km/h, especially when the video is sped up, it looks like I'm going much faster.
Yea, kinda hard to estimate but it's pretty obvious since the traffic there wasn't heavy so I suppose that most of the people drove close or slightly above the speed limit, but yet this guy drove much faster than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
After that guy had been arrested he claimed that his speedometer wasn't working properly
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #406
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
Speeding is common as well- it doesn't mean it's legal.
I agree, but just as most people don't mind a small amount of speeding (which, as you said, would be illegal), sometimes undertaking also happens, especially if the driving culture isn't strict about that.

In fact, even the legality isn't consistent. While it is probably illegal in Israel (I don't know for sure, since I didn't get my license there), it is actually not illegal in most places in North America. It is discouraged (and you do have those signs that say "keep right except to pass"), but as far as I know, usually there are no laws that prohibit it explicitly.

I usually try not to undertake, but the reality is that driving on many large urban freeways around here is almost impossible without undertaking from time to time. There are always people who drive at or below the speed limit in the left-most lane, and in my opinion it is often safer to undertake than to do something stupid like tailgate. Also, we have quite a lot of freeways with a very large number of lanes and sometimes exits on the left side, which makes things even more complicated.

By the way, I am not defending the guy in the video (and I am a pretty calm driver myself), but to be honest, I've seen far worse driving (especially in Israel).
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #407
Пятница
BANNED

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Carmel Tunnels:

WOW, realy LOOOOOONG!!!!

Thanx
תודה
Спасибо
Дякую

p.s. what the music?

Last edited by Пятница; December 11th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
Пятница no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #408
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Yes, undertaking is illegal in Israel.

I'm a bit of an dissident in that I don't think that the driving here is all that bad on average, even though it is perfectly true that some people are terrible drivers.

Certainly the roads here are nowhere near as chaotic as some other places where I have driven, most notably Italy, with Ireland in second place.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #409
TheCat

Oh, I agree, the claims of crazy driving in Israel are grossly exaggerated. However, on my visit to Israel in 2009 I did find that many Israelis don't seem to know how to properly drive on motorways - even during the relatively short drive on Highway 2 from Tel Aviv to Zichron we were dangerously cut off several times and I witnessed several near-accidents avoided by what seemed like inches. People do not seem to understand that once you get on a high speed road, the driving dynamics are very different and it is important to signal, give plenty of space when passing, and stay in a lane as much as possible.

Also, since I left Israel when I was too young to drive and I learned to drive in Canada, it is a greater contrast for me personally. The driving here is completely different - people are much more courteous and patient. There are also enough aggressive drivers, but it simply cannot compare.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #410
zvir

Trans Israel Highway (6) and new TLV-BS fast rail

http://www.tapuz.co.il/tapuzforum/ma...sgid=148612719This pic was made by Israel Railways, shows the highway to the south with the new fast rail link. from the Tapuz forum.
zvir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #411
bmanx06

Likes (Received): 0

Fast Lane to Tel Aviv Opens

The 13km express toll lane on Route 1 finally opened 7 Jan. Its seminal dynamic tolling technology, developed by Siemens, adjusts tariffs based on traffic volumes; complex algorithms increase tolls as traffic volume increases so as to reduce demand.

It will be interesting to see how (and if) this model works. According to the project's joint operators (Siemens and the University of Munich), initial travel on the lane has been light, though they expect it to increase. Average rush hour tolls have been around 6₪ (~$1.70 USD).

bmanx06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #412
Пятница
BANNED

Likes (Received): 373

fast line... interesting!
Пятница no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #413
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

CEO lanes...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #414
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvir View Post
http://www.tapuz.co.il/tapuzforum/ma...sgid=148612719This pic was made by Israel Railways, shows the highway to the south with the new fast rail link. from the Tapuz forum.
That's a really cool photo! This link might work better (at least until they block it):

Old January 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #415
zvir

whay I could not post that properly?

please explain.
Thanks
zvir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #416
TheFlyPL

Likes (Received): 1

About that fast lane:

Is the toll pay so high that so few people use it? Traffic on the ordinary lane seams to be high.
TheFlyPL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #417
Tincap

*Sigh* It's been so long since I've been to Israel. I have lots of fond memories from there.

I don't know if this has been previously posted. It's a link to the Ayalon Highway webcams ~> http://www.ayalonhw.co.il/camera/camera.asp?perCamera=1

It's in Hebrew, but click the camera icons and you can't go wrong.

~BG
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #418
Tincap

Quote:
That's a really cool photo! This link might work better (at least until they block it):

Very cool. Here's another from the same site.

~BG
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #419
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvir View Post
please explain.
Thanks
Most likely because you didn't link directly to the photo, but rather through a dynamic page that returns the image.
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #420
Ilyath
One from the bunch.

Likes (Received): 2

Nice tunnels and freeways in Israel, landscapes reminds my home
btw, I noted that in the signs, and in a lot of common places, Hebrew words doesn't use the niqqud. Why? How do you guess the vowels? Maybe you know since school, as probably you will not read "Tal Eviv" instead of Tel Aviv ()

Last edited by Ilyath; February 18th, 2011 at 02:33 AM.
Ilyath no está en línea   Reply With Quote