daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #421
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Pretty nice video of trucking (probably somewhere in Northern Israel), with Russian music :

This one (from the same guy) is also pretty nice, with calm music:

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #422
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

How are truck in Israel most like: European (short cabins) or American?
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #423
bmanx06

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
European. Example:

bmanx06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #424
bmanx06

major upgrades to Rte 1

Major upgrades to J'lem-Tel Aviv highway...

http://www.auto.co.il/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D...%92%D7%95.aspx
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #425
Hebrewtext

Likes (Received): 2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyath View Post
Nice tunnels and freeways in Israel, landscapes reminds my home
btw, I noted that in the signs, and in a lot of common places, Hebrew words doesn't use the niqqud. Why? How do you guess the vowels? Maybe you know since school, as probably you will not read "Tal Eviv" instead of Tel Aviv ()

this is Hebrew, we don't use the niqqud (vowels) not on signs not at books , newspapers etc. even Israeli born make lots of mistakes while reading. in order to read Hebrew perfectly one need to practice it a lot and use his senses to evaluate - according to the grammatical place of a word in a sentence .

230+ towers built & U.C

129+ towers approved

100 towers proposed
Hebrewtext no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #426
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

What do you do when transliterating Finnish, Dutch or Afrikaans? (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #427
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

I really hate such writing systems as those used for Arabic and Hebrew (abjads).
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #428
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Like bmanx06 said, European. I believe the truck in the videos is a Scania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
What do you do when transliterating Finnish, Dutch or Afrikaans? (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)
In general, when transliterating other languages (e.g. in news websites) the same system is followed, because Modern Hebrew (unlike Classical Hebrew) has a bunch of "helping" letters (matres lectionis) and various rules that make the pronunciation fairly obvious.

However, quite often, some foreign words do include the occasional niqqud (often on just some of the letters) to remove ambiguities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I really hate such writing systems as those used for Arabic and Hebrew (abjads).
You should try learning Chinese

It's not as bad as it seems - you can attain a good fluency level in reading Hebrew fairly quickly. The brain learns to recognize words without having to process every phoneme individually.
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #429
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanx06 View Post
Major upgrades to J'lem-Tel Aviv highway...

http://www.auto.co.il/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D...%92%D7%95.aspx
Brief translation/summary:

The Jerusalem-Tel Aviv Highway (Route 1) will be upgraded from 2 to 3 lanes in each direction (in the parts that are not already 3 lanes). The old Harel bridge will be replaced by two tunnels, 650m in length. A dangerous turn in the road will be replaced by two parallel bridges with 3 lanes each, 800m in length. To reduce the environmental impact, an ecological bridge will be built. Cost: 2.5 billion NIS (~$730 million).

In addition, the Golani Junction (an important junction in Northern Israel) will be upgraded to an interchange. In the future, 7 new interchanges will be built along Highway 77. The cost of upgrading the Golani Junction is 350 million NIS (~$100 million). Expected completion: 2013.
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #430
bmanx06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Why? I think they are beautiful.

Have you tried reading Chinese or Japanese?
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #431
bmanx06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Brief translation/summary:

The Jerusalem-Tel Aviv Highway (Route 1) will be upgraded from 2 to 3 lanes in each direction (in the parts that are not already 3 lanes). The old Harel bridge will be replaced by two tunnels, 650m in length. A dangerous turn in the road will be replaced by two parallel bridges with 3 lanes each, 800m in length. To reduce the environmental impact, an ecological bridge will be built. Cost: 2.5 billion NIS (~$730 million).

In addition, the Golani Junction (an important junction in Northern Israel) will be upgraded to an interchange. In the future, 7 new interchanges will be built along Highway 77. The cost of upgrading the Golani Junction is 350 million NIS (~$100 million). Expected completion: 2013.
Thanks, great summary. I was too lazy to translate. Lol
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #432
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Highway 1 (Tel Aviv - Jerusalem) is a bit substandard right now, isn't it?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #433
bmanx06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Highway 1 (Tel Aviv - Jerusalem) is a bit substandard right now, isn't it?
Correct. It falls below motorway standards about 20 km from Jerusalem due to topography.
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #434
zvir

a new HD video of israel Roads construction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRg1e77EB04&hd=1
zvir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #435
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Hi all,

Google Maps recently updated their satellite photos of Israel, and it now includes the whole of Road 431:

Anava Interchange (Road 431 meets Road 1. Also includes several railway bridges.)

The triangle with roads 1, 6 and 431:

Nesharim Interchange (Road 431 meets Road 6)

Ein Hakore Interchange and the Rishon Lezion motorway triangle (Roads 431, 4 and 42).

A higher view of the double triangle that it belongs to, with lables:

Last edited by RoadUser; November 17th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #436
Atruxo
BANNED

I'd like to solve a series of transport-related issues in Israel:

The highway passes the occupied territories ,West Bank or the Golan Heights, or stand on the green line. If they pass the other hand, is indicated on the signs that you are entering occupied territory or something?
Who is making plans to decide where the motorways will be built? Does the occupying authority
consult with PA, Sirian government, or UN?
Another question concerns the issue of segregated public transport in the territories. Really can not take buses people who are not settlers? It appeared that a story today in which 6 Palestinians stopped because they wanted to get on a bus to settlers. Thanks.
Atruxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #437
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atruxo View Post
I'd like to solve a series of transport-related issues in Israel:

The highway passes the occupied territories ,West Bank or the Golan Heights, or stand on the green line.
First, western Golan is not occupied territory. It is legally part of Israel just like any other part. Second, the green line is an armistice line, not a border. Part of the armistice deal agreed by both sides was that the armistice line was not, is not, and never would be a border.

Quote:
If they pass the other hand, is indicated on the signs that you are entering occupied territory or something?
Who is making plans to decide where the motorways will be built? Does the occupying authority
consult with PA, Sirian government, or UN?
In international law, such decisions must be made by the occupying power for the benefit of the residents. However, since Judea and Samaria never legally belonged to any state, it is not clear whether or not it is an occupation under international law. Same for the 1948-67 "occupation" of the same territories by Jordan. A strong (but not incontestable) argument can be made that this is what international law classifies as "terra nullius."

Quote:
Another question concerns the issue of segregated public transport in the territories. Really can not take buses people who are not settlers? It appeared that a story today in which 6 Palestinians stopped because they wanted to get on a bus to settlers. Thanks.
You have the story rather wrong. The 6 boarded the bus. When the bus reached Jerusalem, it stopped at a checkpoint, as always. Everyone who had a pass to enter Jerusalem stayed on the bus and continued the journey. Everyone who didn't have a pass to enter Jerusalem was required to get off the bus. I don't know where you live, but think about what would happen if you tried to enter another country without the required visa. Would you be surprised if they stopped you at the border and sent you back?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #438
Atruxo
BANNED

Quote:
It is legally part of Israel just like any other part.
No, you are wrong, sir. It's a Syrian occupied territory. Any country recognizes that illegal annexion. Moreover Israel has tried to make an agreement with Syria, making offers to return if not all, major parts of it. Both countries failed to reach an agreement.

Quote:
Everyone who had a pass to enter Jerusalem
I don't understand. You have to have a pass to enter Jerusalem? Even if you are born in Jerusalem?
Sorry I'm European, I'm not used to asian policies.
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #439
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
No, you are wrong, sir. It's a Syrian occupied territory. Any country recognizes that illegal annexion. Moreover Israel has tried to make an agreement with Syria, making offers to return if not all, major parts of it. Both countries failed to reach an agreement.
I teach international law. You have no idea what you're talking about. Israel did give part of the Golan to Syria in 1974, following an agreement between the two countries.

Quote:
I don't understand. You have to have a pass to enter Jerusalem? Even if you are born in Jerusalem?
Sorry I'm European, I'm not used to asian policies.
If you go outside Europe, you'll need a passport to get back into Europe, even if you were born there.

I note that your response has nothing to do with roads. It seems like you're a provocateur just trying to stir up trouble, so I will not respond to you any more about this.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #440
Atruxo
BANNED

I mean a peace agreement not a cease-fire agreement.

Israel-Syria Separation of Forces Agreement - 1974: (israeli government page)

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Peace+Proc...ent+-+1974.htm

Map of cease-fire:

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts%20Ab...ent%20-%201974

So, I ask if israeli government is investing in motorways, roads, etc in syrian lands. It's a waste of money, because later or sooner, will have to return that land.
The same in the case of palestinians. I think they are happy, because you are building so much on their land, so will have a developed nice country when they get the independence.

Sorry if I ask some embarrasing questions, but here in Europe we are really worried about these problems.

036Almere liked this post