daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #461
Tincap

Likes (Received): 0

Webcams ~ Ayalon

I really enjoy this site, especially right now, in particular. Watching some pretty good lightening storm action over Tel-Aviv right now!

http://www.ayalonhw.co.il/camera/cam...p?perCamera=14

~BG
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #462
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I haven't been here for a while, so this is probably not as relevant, but I'd like to respond anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsch View Post
Regarding your speed limits:

As a example against your urban speed limit rule please see the following road in Tel Aviv: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=121492367

It has a speed limit of even 70.

So the rule that all urban roads have a speed limit of 50 is simply not correct. Even if the signs at the entrance to Israel show it the way you described it.
I think you are confusing default rules with specific speed limits. In Israel, by default, in the absence of other signs, the urban speed limit is always 50 km/h (incidentally it is also the case in most other countries around the world - sometimes 60 km/h). However, a sign can set any other limit (in your example - 70 km/h).

Quote:
But it is very interesting where you got the rule with the intercity roads with and without barriers from. We have still no 100 % fixed rule for the speed limit. But it would be of course great to start somewhere and have a definition in Israel Openstreetmap.
Actually, the rules that I described are correct and 100% fixed . You can find them here, at the National Road Safety Authority website (refer to the table at the bottom of the page):
http://rsa.gov.il/mianachnu/peilut/c...s/mehirut.aspx

Of course, you still cannot rely on the default rules to know the speed limit on every road/street - you have to know what signs are placed there.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #463
zvir

israel spped limits increased again!

The Ministry of Transportation has decided to increase the speed limit on Highway 6, also known as Kvish 6, or by its official name, the Yitzchak Rabin Highway. The new speed limit will be 120 KPH (72 MPH), up 10 kilometers from the present 110 KPH (66 MPH) limit. Speed enforcement protocol generally permits for traveling 10% above the limit, so drivers will be able to drive 130 KPH (78 MPH) under the new limit. The new speed limit signs are expected to be posted in the very near future.

Ministry officials praised the road, calling it among the best in the world, defending the decision by explaining the road permits driving safely at that speed.

Other increases in speed limits include:

1. Jerusalem – Tel Aviv Highway (Hwy 1) from 100 KPH to 110 KPH between Shar Haggai Interchange and Latrun Interchange and between Shemen Interchange and Ganot Interchange.

2. Coast Highway (Hwy 2) from 100 KPH to 110 KPH between Caesarea and Atlit Interchanges.

3. Route 471 from 90 KPH to 110 KPH between Bar Ilan and Nachshonim Interchanges.

4. Route 5 from 90 KPH to 100 KPH between Kfar HaYarok and Rosh Ha’ayin.

Blackraven liked this post
zvir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Finally. 120 km/h is still nothing extraordinary for a regular designed motorway.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #465
TheCat

Good to hear. Too bad in Canada we are still stuck with 100 km/h on all freeways - something that will probably never change.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #466
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

120 is too slow for Highway 6.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #467
zvir

you can actually do 130......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
120 is too slow for Highway 6.
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #468
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvir View Post
... can do and have done. Way too slow.

I am glad though of the small step in the right direction.
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #469
TheCat

Most of Israel is now covered by Google Street View! This includes almost all towns and cities, and most highways. Pretty cool
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #470
crimio
Romania

Likes (Received): 550

How many km of motorways/freeways are in Israel?
From some sources they are 230 km, but on Google Maps about 410 km.
Have a nice day!
crimio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #471
TheCat

According to the following link (Hebrew):
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9B%...94%D7%99%D7%A8

The total length of officially-designated motorways in Israel is approximately 300 km.

I used the list at the end of that page, which specifies each motorway section as a segment of each of the listed roads between pairs of specific interchanges. The information on Highway 22 is a little unclear, but the information is +/- 10 km.

However, keep in mind that there is a sizeable network of highways in Israel that are essentially motorways, but are not classified as such by the government due to outdated standards of construction (e.g. grades/turns that are too tight, narrow shoulders, etc.). That might account for part of the larger figure that you indicated (400+ km), since several highways (e.g. Highway 2) may be marked as motorways throughout most of their length, even though only certain sections are officially recognized as motorways by the government.

As far as I know, several of the existing lower-standard sections are currently being upgraded, along with several other roads that are being built/converted to motorways (e.g. Highways 7, 40, and 77).

Finally, there are many expressways in Israel (especially in the north of the country) that were recently (in the last decade) upgraded to 2x2 with a physical separation median and wide shoulders (and a speed limit of 90-100 km/h), but are not motorways because they have a mix of traffic lights and interchanges. As the traffic lights are slowly removed in favour of interchanges, some of these roads might also become motorways in the future, although other design characteristics (e.g. grades/curves) might prevent such a classification.

Regardless of the official classification, however, there has been a continuous trend in Israel in the last 1-2 decades of converting many 2-lane intercity roads to 2x2 expressways.

ChrisZwolle, crimio liked this post
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #472
crimio
Romania

Likes (Received): 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
According to the following link (Hebrew):
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9B%...94%D7%99%D7%A8

The total length of officially-designated motorways in Israel is approximately 300 km.

I used the list at the end of that page, which specifies each motorway section as a segment of each of the listed roads between pairs of specific interchanges. The information on Highway 22 is a little unclear, but the information is +/- 10 km.

However, keep in mind that there is a sizeable network of highways in Israel that are essentially motorways, but are not classified as such by the government due to outdated standards of construction (e.g. grades/turns that are too tight, narrow shoulders, etc.). That might account for part of the larger figure that you indicated (400+ km), since several highways (e.g. Highway 2) may be marked as motorways throughout most of their length, even though only certain sections are officially recognized as motorways by the government.

As far as I know, several of the existing lower-standard sections are currently being upgraded, along with several other roads that are being built/converted to motorways (e.g. Highways 7, 40, and 77).

Finally, there are many expressways in Israel (especially in the north of the country) that were recently (in the last decade) upgraded to 2x2 with a physical separation median and wide shoulders (and a speed limit of 90-100 km/h), but are not motorways because they have a mix of traffic lights and interchanges. As the traffic lights are slowly removed in favour of interchanges, some of these roads might also become motorways in the future, although other design characteristics (e.g. grades/curves) might prevent such a classification.

Regardless of the official classification, however, there has been a continuous trend in Israel in the last 1-2 decades of converting many 2-lane intercity roads to 2x2 expressways.
Thanks a lot!
crimio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #473
mcarling

I wouldn't worry too much about what is or is not officially classified as a motorway. As TheCat explained, Israel has many good 2x2 roads which fall short of official classification.

Currently, Israel has a good road-building programme going. Highway 6 (Israel's only toll road) is one of the best-operated toll roads in the world. Here in Europe, only Hungary comes close to Israel in efficiency of tolling (through electronic vignettes). There are many construction works ongoing now to relieve bottlenecks (for example, between Tel Aviv and Haifa).
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #474
areal51

Likes (Received): 89

Hi! I'll go in two months to Israel (I'll drive with rental car to Tel Aviv, Haifa, Tiberias, Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Eilat...)
Where can I find the roads taxes?
Can someone post a new road map ...or give me a link with a good map? (exclude interactive - google maps, openstreet, viamichelin...)
Thank you!
areal51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #475
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by areal51 View Post
Hi! I'll go in two months to Israel (I'll drive with rental car to Tel Aviv, Haifa, Tiberias, Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Eilat...)
Where can I find the roads taxes?
Only Hwy 6 has tolls and they are collected electronically by optically scanned the car's number plate. Billing will be handled by your rental car company.
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #476
mcarling

I propose a new road diverging from Hwy 77 at Eshkol Reservoir and going east northeast to intersect Hwy 65 just south of Eilabun. It would cut about 5 km off the distance between the Center and the Northeast and also relieve currently congested parts of Hwys 65 and 77. It would need to wind a bit at the eastern end because of the elevation change. The current distance via Hwys 65 and 77 to the 65/806 junction from Eshkol Reservoir is 21 km. The great circle distance is 15 km. Via the proposed new road, the same journey would be about 16 km.
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #477
zvir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I propose a new road diverging from Hwy 77 at Eshkol Reservoir and going east northeast to intersect Hwy 65 just south of Eilabun. It would cut about 5 km off the distance between the Center and the Northeast and also relieve currently congested parts of Hwys 65 and 77. It would need to wind a bit at the eastern end because of the elevation change. The current distance via Hwys 65 and 77 to the 65/806 junction from Eshkol Reservoir is 21 km. The great circle distance is 15 km. Via the proposed new road, the same journey would be about 16 km.
this route was proposed long ago as the Highway 6 east horn.
the reslution for now is to upgrade the existing roads fron HWY 6 to rosh pina (mainly rd 77) and to upgrade it to expressway standards.
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #478
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
As does Israel for remembrance day.

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Vignole, areal51, Robi_damian, NielsC liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #479
mcarling

The Golani Interchange has opened! Traffic on route 77 can now pass freely through the grade-separated interchange. Traffic on route 65 is still subject to traffic lights, but they generally stay green except when vehicles are following routes that rarely make sense.

Last edited by mcarling; August 29th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #480
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

speed limits

Israel increases the maximum speed limit on motorways from 110 to 120 km/h.

http://he.mot.gov.il/index.php?optio...-c-1&Itemid=65

http://www.timesofisrael.com/speed-l...ajor-highways/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote