daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #141
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Trains in the central reservation are pretty cool. In the Netherlands, we also have such a road, a section of the A10 beltway around Amsterdam carries both metro an regular trains. In Germany, i remember Essen, which has tramways in the median of the A40.
In that case, here is another one - Road 531 has a railway line in its central reservation. The road, which is only partially built, will be one of the east-west connections for Road 6 and the rest of the network. The railway will connect Kfar Sava and Herzliya via Raanana.

Road 431, which is presently under construction, is also supposed to have a railway line going along it, connecting Modiin and Rishon Lezion. Completion time: for the road 2009, for the railway, some time in the next millennium

(Picture from Wikipedia)
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #142
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

all of you, thank you for the photos.
it's great.

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #143
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
They are German and are used for short distances in Germany, if you are on the second floor the train doesn´t ride smooth at all and the worst, it doesn´t have aircondition. The alter generation of these trains however with the doors lower is way better, it runs way smoother, looks way mroe modern inside and has aircondition, it is also very quiet, almost unhearable.
i don't like those trains neither. no place to the legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
Schools, however, are open on Fridays, although not for as many hours as on regular weekdays.
many schools closed on fridays.

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #144
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Several Updates

There are several big road projects going on in Israel right now, so let me provide some updates here for those who are interested.

Highway 431 Nesharim Interchange U/C

Before:

After:

Bridge 1A:

Bridge 1B will pass here, over Highway 6 (the red markings are temporary):

Bridge 2:

Bridge 2 (another picture):

Bridge 3:

Bridge 3A:

Bridges 5A & 5B:

Future ramp from Highway 6 to Highway 44:
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #145
TheCat

Highway 431 Gan Ha-Vradim Interchange U/C

Aerial (red dot is the location of the interchange):

Diagram/map:

Ad:

Several pictures from different angles:

Old March 17th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #146
TheCat

Highway 4 Raanana Intechange U/C

This will replace a traffic light intersection with an interchange on Highway 4 on the route of Raanana - Kfar Sava North. Not much has been built yet, but a lot of digging was done. Highway 4 is a pretty old coastal highway, part of which is a motorway, and the other part still uses traffic lights, which are gradually being replaced by interchanges.

Ad for the project:

The current traffic light intersection:
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #147
TheCat

La Guardia Intersection in Tel Aviv

This is a very large and important intersection that has many different bus lines go through it, and is also the gateway into the old centre of Tel Aviv via the Ayalon Highway (Highway 20). The intersection is currently being upgraded with a twin tunnel. It will also provide a less congested connection to/from Highway 20.

The plan (I drew the red arrows to indicate the location of the tunnel):

On-ramp to Highway 20:

Two pictures of the intersection:

Major bus stop:

New signage:

This sign tells public transportation to continue straight, past the tunnel:

Construction pictures of the tunnel itself:

Old March 17th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #148
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I only took a few of these roads and I was really surprised when I suddenly had a red traffic light in front of me on what I thought was a motorway The other thing that caught me by surprise is the israeli sign for stopping, which is a hand and not a STOP, like in central Europe. I almost didn't stop...
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #149
TheCat

Yeah, some motorways in Israel, like Highway 4 and several others have traffic lights, but as far as I know, they are gradually being converted to interchanges. The sections with traffic lights are not classified as motorways. Usually these sections have green guide signs for destinations along the motorway, as opposed to blue, which are only located on motorways.

Also, there are many 2x2 roads in Israel with a hard shoulder that are not classified as motorways because they either have traffic lights, or simply don't adhere to all the design standards of motorways. The official length of Israel's motorway network is quite small as a result of this. However, Israel is a small country and these traffic lights aren't usually a problem, except for the centre area (around Tel Aviv) which is having extreme congestion problems even though Highway 20 is a complete motorway.

I think they should build a high speed motorway through the Negev desert to Eilat, to replace the winding and dangerous 2-lane road which currently exists. Even though the traffic volumes are low, this should be done for safety rather than capacity. There are major obstacles however, since parts of the 2-lane road often get washed off during winter floods in the desert.

And yes, the stop sign is cool I guess they don't want to write "stop" in 3 languages like everything else.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #150
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
I only took a few of these roads and I was really surprised when I suddenly had a red traffic light in front of me on what I thought was a motorway The other thing that caught me by surprise is the israeli sign for stopping, which is a hand and not a STOP, like in central Europe. I almost didn't stop...
Hi,

There aren't really that many traffic lights left on major highways (any road with traffic lights is by definition not a motorway).

The main offenders are:

The Glilot interchange (Roads 2, 20 and 5) which still has a traffic light which causes bad congestion. The flyover to replace it is currently under construction

The Morasha interchange (Roads 4 and 5). Road 5, which is a full motorway at this point, goes over the top. Road 4 goes underneath via a double traffic light. There are enough lanes there (about 6 in each direction, I think) that traffic is not too horrible.

Some of the interchanges on the Tel Aviv's Ayalon Highway (Road 20) have traffic lights on the streets above the motorway. This can cause tailbacks onto the motorway. It's hard to think of any real solution for this, since they are just busy city streets that cross the motorway.

Some main roads, as TheCat said, are not motorways but dual carriageways with traffic light junctions. A good example of this is Road 40, which is a north-south highway parallel to Road 4. The busier junctions on these highways get upgraded to interchanges. Road 4 itself used to be like this, but the busiest section, known as the Geha highway, is now almost (but not quite) at motorway standard.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #151
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's one cool intersection.

I don't wanna get political, but strictly from the transportation point of view, I guess there are border crossings between Israel and its neighboring countries (is there any country that doesn't have any border crossing with Israel?). But I've also heard that if you've been to Israel (like having Israeli visa in your passport), you're not allowed to enter Arab countries (and vice-versa?). But if this were really the case, then I guess there would be no border crossings between Israel and any neighboring country.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #152
TheCat

It's a valid question. There are border crossings with Jordan and Egypt, with which Israel has a peace agreement and hence obviously you will not be denied entry into these countries with an Israeli stamp/passport. I know that people traveling by bus through these crossings have to cross the border by foot and continue to a bus on the other side. With regards to cars, I know that technically one can just drive through (after passing a checkpoint of course), but I don't know of any specific restrictions, which I'm almost sure exist. Someone who knows better than me can probably comment. Of course, you cannot cross into Lebanon or Syria by land, which are technically in a state of war with Israel.

There is even a speed limit sign at the border, although it is outdated:

The sign is inaccurate because the speed limit on Israel's motorways has been 110 km/h by default for quite a while, even though on all motorways but one you will find signs bearing a lower limit.
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #153
Verso
Islander

Thanks, TheCat! I was also asking, b/c Israel is a transit country between Asia and Africa, or at least that's its position, I don't know how very transit it really functions. I wonder, if I could drive to Israel, considering you still have to go through Syria, Iraq or Saudi Arabia to reach Jordan, or through Libya or Sudan from the other side to reach Egypt. I guess I could, but couldn't return.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #154
TheCat

Yeah, probably not a good idea, although you might be able to do it via ferry through Cyprus/Turkey, I'm not sure.

And keeping on the subject of border crossings, I'll post some pictures I found on Wikipedia in the border crossings thread

The link (just in case): http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=352

Last edited by TheCat; March 20th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #155
Verso
Islander

It is possible:
Quote:
Israel recognises Jordanian stamps in passports and visas and vice versa. That is to say that Jordan will not create difficulties for tourists arriving at this border crossing with a passport bearing an Israeli stamp. Please Note: If you wish to proceed to other Arab countries, in addition to Jordan and Egypt, you should ask for the Israeli stamp on a separate paper, otherwise you will be refused entry.
http://www.israel-embassy.org.uk/web...rdan.htm#Visas
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM   #156
TheCat

Rural road in Israel. This is Highway 653.

Old April 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #157
TheCat

Pretty cool video of a guy using a pair of radar detectors on highways in Israel:
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #158
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Does Israeli motorways have lots of speed cameras?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #159
Norsko
Urban Citizen

What does the arrow shaped sign next to the 50 km/h sign means? Never seen that one before
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #160
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I think it means "within city limits".
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote