daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #61
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

in washington, dc you have them at pedestrian crossings.
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #62
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Chicago has them at many intersections. I see more and more popping up all the time.

They're for pedestrians though, to let them know how long they have to clear the intersection. Of course drivers use them as well to know how long they're going to still have a green light....

Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #63
konthaimaitalorkan

Likes (Received): 1

Most of intersections in Thailand have countdowm timers,especially in Bangkok aera.

Some countdown timers also countdown for the yellow light,some just change into the red dash. (3 secs. for yellow light)

In the peak hour or heavy traffic,if the automatic light change is switched off and controled by police,it will show the dash,like this.

^
^
I apologize for the messy photograph.I've taken this photo in Khlongthom and Yaowarat area,it was so busy place in Bangkok.

There are also coundown timers outside the capital.
This is in Chiangrai (National Highway)

Last edited by konthaimaitalorkan; December 30th, 2007 at 05:20 PM.
konthaimaitalorkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:03 AM   #64
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

If bus/tram/emergency priority comes into play, they could set them up to simply pause and/or flash, perhaps with a little bus/tram logo appearing alongside. Then after it was gone the timer would start again or reset.

I think it's a cool idea and hope it shows up in the US someday.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:46 AM   #65
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea as bus/tram priority would interfere with the timing as Chris said earlier.

I'd rather have the bus/tram priority than a countdown. Also - countries that I have been driven in extensively (other than the one I'm living in at the moment) have the red+amber phase to help drivers know when to put their car in gear - this system I VERY much like.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:07 AM   #66
MNL
!eccentric!

Likes (Received): 3

There are in the Philippines.. Along Roxas Blvd. I'll try to find a picture.

"Las Islas Filipinas"
MNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:52 PM   #67
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirageBistro View Post
Which countries have the stop light which has a number countdown combined with the stop lights, and which countries still use the ordinary ones? can anyone help me?
Bulgaria has them almost everywhere and they are really useful. almost no new trafficlights are build without the counters.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM   #68
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Likes (Received): 1426

I can find that thing in almost every capital city of each 33 provinces in Indonesia ...

What's so special bout that ????

You can also found it in Malaysia a lot ...

Around South East Asia,, it is really easy to find that thing ..
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM   #69
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Here are some examples in Indonesia ..

Padangpanjang is not even a capital city but a very small town in West Sumatra Province

=========================

Medan, the capital city of North Sumatra Province
RED

ANOTHER RED

GREEN

====================

And of course JAKARTA, the capital city of Indonesia

Old January 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM   #70
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I don't think it's necessarily a good idea as bus/tram priority would interfere with the timing as Chris said earlier.

I'd rather have the bus/tram priority than a countdown. Also - countries that I have been driven in extensively (other than the one I'm living in at the moment) have the red+amber phase to help drivers know when to put their car in gear - this system I VERY much like.
It doesnt interfere ... In Jakarta, "so-called" BUS-TransJakarta (TJ) got its own special lane. And it also got its special traffic light in almost every intersection.

And it doesnt interfere with those traffic light with timer .... It runs all-okay
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM   #71
cezarsab
ROMANIA|SYRIA Forever

Likes (Received): 3

Aleppo-Syria has count down stop at every major intersection and some Minor intersection..

By cezarsab at 2008-01-01

Also homs-Syria has...

Last edited by cezarsab; January 1st, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
cezarsab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM   #72
radi6404

I think this thread is rather useless because this is standat, at least here in bulgaria it is very standart, people wonder if trafficlights don´t have the counters.
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:39 PM   #73
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I think this thread is rather useless because this is standat, at least here in bulgaria it is very standart, people wonder if trafficlights don´t have the counters.
Maybe if the rest of the world started driving cars with Automatic Transmissions instead of the Stick(and Automatics were cheaper around the world), you guys wouldn't need these countdown timers except for crosswalk traffic in a much tinier setting.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:26 AM   #74
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Maybe if the rest of the world started driving cars with Automatic Transmissions instead of the Stick(and Automatics were cheaper around the world), you guys wouldn't need these countdown timers except for crosswalk traffic in a much tinier setting.
Excuse me my man but my cousin´s girlfriend drives an automatic, people here drive the car they want to buy, if they want automatic, they get an automatic, but different from Germany and other western countries we use them to provide the highest degree of safety possible for both, passands and cars so if a 4 year old child sees that he has 2 seconds left he wont walk over the world, in Germany he wouldn´t know and would walk over the road and probably be killed. Imagine that poor young life would be killed, but not here.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM   #75
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Yeah right, Germany is MUCH safer than Bulgaria when it comes to traffic. Countdown-lights are never seen necessary apparantly, because i haven't seen one in the countries i travelled. That doesn't mean they are non-existent there, but they are not all over the place.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #76
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Automatics are for lazy people who can't drive. I absolutely loathe driving in them. People who drive manuals tend to be safer drivers and generally drive better than those in automatics as autos encourage thoughtless driving.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:05 AM   #77
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

That's a very subjective thing, really, and is a matter of personal preference and of debate (when it comes to safety). While it's often more fun to drive a manual car, most people don't drive for the sake of driving, but rather, for the sake of getting from A to B.

According to statistics in Wikipedia, the accident rate on non-motorway roads in the US is lower than on most of the European countries included in the table, except for Finland, Sweden, and the UK. Therefore, the safety argument is definitely highly questionable. I'd say it's mostly about the driving culture, and not whether you have to shift gears or not.

PS: Ironically, the accident rate in the US on motorways is actually higher than on many of the European countries, while the motorway is the place where shifting gears is mostly irrelevant. Perhaps it has to do with the maintenance quality of the roads, motorway driving etiquette (passing on the right, for example), or even lower speed limits (??).
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #78
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yeah right, Germany is MUCH safer than Bulgaria when it comes to traffic. Countdown-lights are never seen necessary apparantly, because i haven't seen one in the countries i travelled. That doesn't mean they are non-existent there, but they are not all over the place.
Chris, you mustn´t say that Germany is safer than Bulgaria to traffic, you have to say that German drivers are better and more disciplined than Bulgarian ones because here in bulgaria everything is being done for safety towards passengers and so on.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #79
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Excuse me my man but my cousin´s girlfriend drives an automatic, people here drive the car they want to buy, if they want automatic, they get an automatic, but different from Germany and other western countries we use them to provide the highest degree of safety possible for both, passands and cars so if a 4 year old child sees that he has 2 seconds left he wont walk over the world, in Germany he wouldn´t know and would walk over the road and probably be killed. Imagine that poor young life would be killed, but not here.
And that's why we have very tiny countdown timers affixed to the crosswalk lights. Pedestrians are the primary ones meant to read it, not drivers.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:48 AM   #80
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I'm not sure to what extent the countdown timers actually improve safety, since in my opinion people can be divided into two groups - those who will stop and wait when there are 2-3 seconds remaining, and those who will in fact be encouraged to run across

One useful aspect to these timers, in my opinion, is reducing the anxiety which is often associated with traffic lights. In most places in the US and Canada, the red pedestrian light starts flashing before it turns red, and on most intersections, the appearance of the red pedestrian light is accompanied by the yellow light for cars.

When one drives toward an intersection with a green light and a blinking pedestrian signal, one cannot always be sure if the light will remain green for a sufficient amount of time to cross the intersection safely, and this in turn sometimes creates anxiety and may encourage drivers to speed up when they see a blinking pedestrian light.

But here, too, I believe you can group drivers into two categories. There will be those who will floor the gas pedal when they see a few seconds remaining on the timer, and those who will start slowing down and come to a stop when the light turns yellow. But at the end, though, I think these timers do reduce anxiety in general.

In Toronto, most pedestrian lights have traditionally been without a timer, but instead with the blinking red signal. Recently, a lot of the pedestrian lights in downtown have been replaced with ones having counters during the blinking phase, although outside of downtown they are still not very common.