daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 10

NOTTINGHAM | Check Whyte Tower | 40 storeys? | Pre-planning

Lol I bet this will have an the world of views by the end of the day lol... well no...he hasnt proposed anything yet... I just thought i'd start a thread to talk about it.... Well.... this is the storey so far...

In april... the evening post reported this...

Quote:
He also announced tentative plans for a 40-storey landmark building near BioCity after securing a development site. He said: "I am bringing investment to Nottingham.

"At the end of the day it is my home town and I'm making the town better.

"Whether it's a high-profile 40-storey office building or a health centre, it's about making the city better.

"It's about having the inspiration to do it and fulfil a dream. People can talk but haven't got the guts to do it."
Then... Evening post said this...

Quote:
Developer Chek Whyte wants to build a gateway site in Nottingham's Eastside Regeneration Zone that could be as high as 40 storeys.

Mr Whyte's Chek Whyte Industries has bought a site on Lower Parliament Street in a deal that was concluded after negotiations at the MIPIM international property conference.

The site, which is within Nottingham's Eastside Regeneration Zone, already has planning consent for a mixed retail and residential development.

But Mr Whyte says he is in the early stages of drawing up plans for what he hopes could be the tallest building in the city.

No planning application has yet been submitted and Mr Whyte says he hopes to start talks with city planners about his scheme during the next month.

The scheme could have a value of £80-100m and Mr Whyte says finance is already in place.

He has appointed architects Church Lukas to work on plans for an "iconic" building that would include a hotel, offices, conference facilities, apartments and retail.

He told the Post: "We're trying to do a gateway site for the start of Eastside. You see iconic tower blocks of 40 storeys in other parts of the country, so we want to bring Nottingham in line with the rest of the country and give it a real landmark.

"A lot of money is being spent in this city to bring people in, with the new Market Square. "But we've got too many square boxes as well. We need an iconic building - we want to bring the 'Gherkin' to Nottingham."

Plans for what Mr Whyte says will be a predominantly glass structure are still at the very early stages.

The site had been marketed by Nottingham property agents Fisher Hargreaves Proctor at "offers over £2 million". It has an existing planning consent for 40 car parking spaces, four ground floor retail units totalling 6,385 sq ft and 42 two bed apartments over five floors. Several bids were made for the site.
NOTICE: He wants to create a "GATEWAY TO THE EASTSIDE"

Shortly after that Gothicform notified us he had found out there were plans in work for a 40 floor tower but refused to tell us which developer was involved... Do you want to shed any light Gothic? I would love for you to tell me the developer your on about is not Chek Whyte...then that will mean there a two towers in some form of planning.

Next... In June I noticed the site next to the BioCity below had been sold... I obviously suspected this was the site of our tower...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Then.. Mr Chek Whyte confirmed this site was his by sticking up this BIG banner... "GATEWAY TO THE EASTSIDE"...

image hosted on flickr

MR CHEK WHYTE.... We are waiting..... Patiently....

Follow Me - Twitter

Last edited by danz013; August 3rd, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:56 PM   #2
danz013
Robin Hood

Ive just added the other EP story...

Also notice his use of words... we've got to many square boxes, we need something iconic, gatway, gerkin, real landmark, finance in place...

This guys not messing about

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 68

Nice one Dan. When we hopefully get some renders through this thread will definately kick off.
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #4
larven

Likes (Received): 692

At a recent Charity Ball hosted by Chek Whyte there were boards put up in the marque detailing plans for this site with a generic tower of 40 storey's shown. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos but there wasn't really much to see anyway, just looked like a basic sketchup massing exercise. Mr Whyte will be feauturing in the up coming series of "Secret Millionaire", you know the one where wealthy individuals go undercover in poorer areas of society to seek out worthy causes for some of their money...perhaps this will shed some light on the tower as they were filming at the ball?
larven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #5
danz013
Robin Hood

really? from what you saw, did it look promising? I heard about the show but never watch it last time... when does it come on?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #6
ranny fash
quacked

Likes (Received): 30

interesting!

i saw one of those shows - some young internet millionaire went and worked at a youth centre in hackney for a bit and ended up donating loads of cash to them
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #7
pharmj

Likes (Received): 31

These plans are really exciting, he seems to be definately expanding into Nottingham city centre. He seems a prudent businessman, taking space in the axis, and that vacant retail unit by Sinatras must be worth some as well
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Skid

Likes (Received): 0

Whats the betting that when it gets through the Councils planning it ends up as 12 storeys
Skid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #9
danz013
Robin Hood

haa lol....well if you think about it.... this seems like one of the sites in Nottingham where there really isnt a lot for the council to complain about?

What will it block? All parties around the tower are businesses...non of them are likely to object... It will not block any views from Sneinton as there are already those high rise tower blocks in sneinton blocking views... then.. when eastside and city gets going their tower will block the line of site to check whites tower (never mind the rest of the city centre)....

Then...theres no views to block anyway? What can you see from here? Nothing? No lace market cliffs...no castle...no council house? You cant see anything from here...

Obviously... Civic Society will find one way or another to oppose the plans but I cant see how the council could take them seriously... all the things they usually say (blocks views, creates a wall, too tall, dosnt fit in with surrounding) won't apply here... I am actually really confident of the council here. After talking with them they do seem excited about the city and they do seem to want to see some really exciting projects...

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #10
pharmj

The council from the impression I get are as eager to get a high rise development as we are, but just in the right place. I (controversially) can understand why Brook Streets original height was reduced. That many apartments in that location would make congestion even worse that it is right now. They should have kept the original height and made more of the flats 2+bedrooms, that way reducing the number of individual cars.

The chek whyte development however is in a much better place, on a central route in and out of the main city, but where the traffic can still split in 4 different directions. Its also really well served with buses and the railway right near there as well. Who knows, it might even encourage the Eastside plans to go a little bit higher!
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #11
danz013
Robin Hood

Wheres Sinatras? Yeah I can kinda understand (well not entirely i understand the idea) why they reduced brook street too.

I don't mind see a at brook street...as long as its high quality

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #12
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2862

i think the developer IS chek whyte. when things are a bit more certain im sure i'll be fill in *wink wink*
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #13
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
i think the developer IS chek whyte. when things are a bit more certain im sure i'll be fill in *wink wink*
- I guess we can say we have enough rumour to suggest this site will definitely see a tower proposal in the near future

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #14
danz013
Robin Hood

Thought i'd post this map I made a while ago showing where exactly the chek whyte development is...

The Turqoise stuff show Eastside Phase 2
The Red stuff shows area which will definately be subject to regeneration in the future
Purple: Eastside City
Blue: BioCity Refurb
Orange: Mr Chek Whytes Stuff

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 68

Nice. I didn't realise Eastisde would include the Barton Bus depot and that machine mart place over from the ice arena. Thats a definate positive for that side of town as there are some real ugly buildings along that stretch of the road.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #16
danz013
Robin Hood

yeah it will...part of the next stage....as mark from eastside said thought...there is no land ownership of those places yet.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #17
danz013
Robin Hood

Some of Mr Whytes other dealings from the EP...

Quote:
Strong interest has been shown in industrial/warehouse buildings at Isabella Court on the Millennium Business Park, Mansfield.

Work is now complete on the second phase of the development, the latest by Notts developer Chek Whyte Industries.

It follows the successful development and letting of the first phase.

Phase two offers two high quality industrial/warehouse buildings, totalling some 30,000 sq ft.

Robert Maxey, at joint agents Heb, said: "The scheme has been specifically designed to be divisible and so we are able to offer units in a variety of sizes from 5,000 sq ft upwards. The accommodation is available to rent or buy, and is ideally located."

The park offers convenient access to Junctions 28 and 29 of the M1, as well as Mansfield itself. Laura West at Nattrass Giles said: "Demand for this location remains strong."

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #18
danz013
Robin Hood

Some of his other stuff in the city centre...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #19
pharmj

Im really hoping that work will encourage that end of Parliament street to clean itself up. That one side of the street is horrid, damn takeaways. Those bars there are always full of chavs who fight as well, funny how they congregate together those type of places, the police are always there, every friday and saturday night!
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #20
danz013
Robin Hood

Yeah... those building the other side of the axis are terrible...especially that little arcade bit where they have the little cafe shops and sandwich shops inside

Follow Me - Twitter

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: