daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #2141
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
And motorway isn't motorway without full route lighting.
Isn't it? So what would you call these roads in Germany where on a lot of sections there are no speed limits, often with 3x3 lanes or more? Country lanes?
The only sections lid to my knowledge are very short stretches near Frankfurt Airport, Hamburg near the Elbe tunnel and A100 around Berlin. And what about autoroutes in France? They have the best motorways in Europe, but only busy sections are lid.

Penn's Woods, Innsertnamehere, GROBIN liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #2142
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Isn't it? So what would you call these roads in Germany where on a lot of sections there are no speed limits, often with 3x3 lanes or more? Country lanes?
The only sections lid to my knowledge are very short stretches near Frankfurt Airport, Hamburg near the Elbe tunnel and A100 around Berlin. And what about autoroutes in France? They have the best motorways in Europe, but only busy sections are lid.
Quote:
It's not for a one car. That's the motorway will connect 6 and 15 mln cities and 25 mln for a whole region. Its a major trunk road. And motorway isn't motorway without full route lighting.

If I'm not wrong ,most places in the world have only the most traveled or used or urban areas lid the way through the section otherwise reflector and barriers would do the job.

Road_UK liked this post
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #2143
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

so the vast majority of the US interstate network, the benchmark and most high profile network of motorways on the planet, aren't actually motorways then?

AsHalt is correct as well, there are relatively few rural freeways that are lit.

Road_UK, Penn's Woods liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #2144
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Germany can't afford the leccy to run the lights, while there is plenty of energy in Russia
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #2145
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

Building a lit motorway will get you a bigger otkat

that's something that the rest of the world keeps forgetting...

makaveli6 liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #2146
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Um, "otkat"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #2147
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Absurd thing to say.
There are also a lot of absurdists who say that expressways aren't expressways if they have pedestrian crossways in deep rural areas.
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #2148
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

... Because they aren't. The definition of a motorway is that it is access limited, accessible only by cars from on and off ramps. Pedestrians, or any other form of transport for that matter, cannot cross the road unless it is on a grade separated bridge structure.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #2149
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
There are also a lot of absurdists who say that expressways aren't expressways if they have pedestrian crossways in deep rural areas.
Nobody has said that you are a absurdist, so I couldn't comment on that. But there are expressways with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. They are still expressways though. Here is one in Belgium, the N49/E34. It's not even in a deep rural area...
This part of the world we may see our motorways a little different than in Russia, but then again we also got decades of more experience in dealing with them and naming them. But if they're ever going to build a motorway from St Petersburg to Vladifrigginvostok I will expect them to be without TOTSOS, roundabouts, traffic light but street lighting all the way. Good luck wih that...

Penn's Woods, makaveli6, GROBIN liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #2150
Maks33

Likes (Received): 877

Quote:
Um, "otkat"?
A kickback as a form of bribery.

Penn's Woods, mcarling liked this post
Maks33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #2151
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Um, "otkat"?
Otkat is like a tip in a restaurant only with larger sums. I think usually adittional 20% go to the so called Mr 20. In other words - corruption, pumping out as much state money for yourself as you can.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; December 7th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #2152
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Nobody has said that you are a absurdist, so I couldn't comment on that. But there are expressways with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. They are still expressways though. Here is one in Belgium, the N49/E34. It's not even in a deep rural area...
This part of the world we may see our motorways a little different than in Russia, but then again we also got decades of more experience in dealing with them and naming them. But if they're ever going to build a motorway from St Petersburg to Vladifrigginvostok I will expect them to be without TOTSOS, roundabouts, traffic light but street lighting all the way. Good luck wih that...
Actually they are planning to build by (2030?) a full motorway through Ufa and Chelyabinsk to Kazakhstan and connect all the major cities (excluding east of Omsk) to full motorway standard. The Kazakh government is already building the "Europe-China"-motorway. And China builds motorways in the middle of the desert So basically in 20 years you could drive constantly on motorway from Turku (Finland) to Shanghai.

Btw, Spain has also Autovias with roundabouts; I wouldn't see an U-turn in the middle of a desert a catastrophe. Pedestrian crossing instead should not be allowed!

Road_UK liked this post
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #2153
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
The western business newspapers inform us that Russia is either already in recession or very close to it. What is the Russian government's policy re: road construction spending in these days - does the government stop the spending or in the contrary, the government accelerates / increases the spending ?
Well, I'd see it as kinda of a "New Deal"-policy. It worked excellently in Finland in the 1990's.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #2154
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
So basically in 20 years you could drive constantly on motorway from Turku (Finland) to Shanghai.
Provided the lights are on.

Quote:
Btw, Spain has also Autovias with roundabouts; I wouldn't see an U-turn in the middle of a desert a catastrophe. Pedestrian crossing instead should not be allowed!
Apparently Brazil systematically has u-turns. But it's an actual ramp that leaves the roadway, crosses over it, and comes back to the opposite roadway (plenty of pics in the Brazilian thread if that's not clear...look for the "retorno" signs.) So they don't interrupt the flow of traffic.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #2155
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Apparently Brazil systematically has u-turns. But it's an actual ramp that leaves the roadway, crosses over it, and comes back to the opposite roadway (plenty of pics in the Brazilian thread if that's not clear...look for the "retorno" signs.) So they don't interrupt the flow of traffic.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to build the opposite direction roadways far enough that you can build single level U-turns that don't interrupt the flow of traffic?
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #2156
RV

Well left turn-ban in Europe on motorways is stupid. In the US for example it's completely normal where it's required.
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #2157
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

not really, it is just lots of US states built roads when they thought those things were OK Slowly they break them up and make an overpass from the right side.

it isn't so bad when no traffic is there but it sucks if there is a lot of traffic, you get slow traffic and fast traffic all mixed together.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2158
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Well left turn-ban in Europe on motorways is stupid. In the US for example it's completely normal where it's required.
I can't think of a public U-turn like the one in Briedis...'s post on an Interstate or other freeway. (Yes, I'm sure someone will find one and prove me wrong....) There are plenty of them on '40s-vintage non-limited-access divided highways in New Jersey.

Note that "public," though. There are U-turns "for official use" here and there...I used one once (illegally) to get out of a long construction-caused backup on I-80 in Pennsylvania. (Why PennDOT thought roadwork on a nice Sunday afternoon in June was a good idea, I don't know.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #2159
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
not really, it is just lots of US states built roads when they thought those things were OK Slowly they break them up and make an overpass from the right side.

it isn't so bad when no traffic is there but it sucks if there is a lot of traffic, you get slow traffic and fast traffic all mixed together.
Theoretically the drivers could speed up when changing lanes to the left and slow down only on the braking lane which wouldn't really disturb anything, IMO. But yes this was thought only for roads with not that much traffic. You should make proper intersections where it's much.
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2160
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
I think there is one on Kehä I, although it isn't a motorway, left turn looks unexpected and may confuse the drivers.
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
roads