daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #2261
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Crazy years 1950's-1960's, back then they thought we will all have flying cars by year 2000 .

I know that there was a plan to build a railway line on the Bering Strait, but it's unlikely to happen in the long run, because of political matters.
Not just political but mostly tecnical. Bering strait is almost 100 km wide. And on both shores there's basically nothing in term of population and infrastructures, with the closest major cities, Anchorage and Magadan being thousands of km away. On the Russian side there are no railways north of the BAM (parallel north to the Trans-Siberian) and only a dirt, barely passable road to Magadan. On the American side, there are no rail connections between Alaska and Canada\Contiguous US 48 states and Alaska has no roads either west of Ancorage\Fairbanks. The tunnel, besides being extremely challenging (twice the longest existing rail tunnel and 4 times the longest existing road tunnel) will require thousands of km of new roads and railway, build over an extremely hostile terrain (permafrost) and far away from civilization. Traffic will be extremely low, because an overland trip from Vancouer to Beijng will require weeks, making flying the only practical alternative (or cargo ships, for bulky goods not time-sensitive). Costs won't be justified by benefits.
Relations between USA and Russia were better than now in the period between the perestrojka and the Georgian crisis, but I dont think that such a project had ever been seriously considered.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #2262
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Relation between "the West" and Russia were definitely better also for more than 20 years.

For the crossing they are 2 islands that may be used to shorten the 110 km long tunnels/bridges and for emergency uses:

By the way, there is an interesting description of the proposed crossing on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_...ng#cite_note-3

In fact, Russia has already approved 3 years ago a 100 bln. USD funding for building a railway line, that I hope will be available for cars/trucks as well (like in the English Channel), or like in the Oresund straight: part tunnel, part bridge, for cars and for railway - if it's ever being built: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...it-tunnel.html
http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/08/23/l...-stait-scheme/

And it would be a really technical challenge for engineers!

Where is this now? I believe that political issues have reported it for another long term.

Last edited by John Maynard; February 6th, 2015 at 12:29 AM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #2263
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
This motorway will never be constructed .
Well, this tunnel will become necessary when Russia annexes Crimea Alaska
Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #2264
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Well, this tunnel will become necessary when Russia annexes Crimea Alaska
Russia sold Alaska to the USA in 1867, after being ruined with the Crimean War .

xvbvcv liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #2265
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Russia sold Alaska to the USA in 1867, after being ruined with the Crimean War .
Few days after the Crimean referendum a satyrical website proposed an online petition for the annexation of Alaska to Russia.

About the Diomede islands, one is Russian, the other American. They're only 3 km apart but the International Date Line runs between them, so going from an island to the other means going a day backward or forward.
In 1987 the American athlet Lynne Cox swimmed between the two islands, as a gesture for international peace.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #2266
sotonsi

Quote:
Crazy years 1950's-1960's, back then they thought we will all have flying cars by year 2000 .
Whereas everyone knows that we'll be flying them in October. The inventor of the Flux Capacitor went and visited 2015 and returned to 1985 and told us!

We won't need roads, and so the Bering Strait tunnel will never happen as we'd just take off. As you can see from this picture, there will be transatlantic travel. These green vehicles are fusion powered and run on small amounts of garbage.

More seriously, though still on the flying car tangent, the time frame shrunk to 'within 30 years' by the mid-80s, though really (as in the 50s and 60s too) it seems to be a 'this is cool' thing that almost became shorthand for 'future' along with laser blasters, holograms, fusion power and sliding doors.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #2267
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Motorway between USA and Russia
Senator Magnuson is more commonly remembered for his involvement with the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" that still regulates warranties on cars and other items in the USA

Road_UK liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM   #2268
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2300

Third ring expressway at downtown Moscow.

Credit to Flickr user dmitrylebedev62
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:56 PM   #2269
bewu1

Likes (Received): 2084

What motorways / expressways / tunnels projects are suspended / cancelled / postponed by recent Russian budget's cuts?
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #2270
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Panoramas of the central and final part of the ZSD project in St. Petersburg
http://panoworld.ru/catalogue/catalogue_192.html
http://panoworld.ru/catalogue/catalogue_196.html
http://airphoto.ru/pano/zsd/pano.html

Few photos

golov, ChrisZwolle, RHPLUS, RipleyLV, Luki_SL and 11 others liked this post
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:22 PM   #2271
Juni
Unregistered User ツ

Likes (Received): 1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
What motorways / expressways / tunnels projects are suspended / cancelled / postponed by recent Russian budget's cuts?
I have bad english, sorry. I am from Russia. I am neutral to the ruling, more opposition. I think it is too early yet to cancel the project, because oil is above 50$, and rewrote the budget and costs 50$. Yes, and gas sold yet. Ironically, other sources of finance have increased. Even in Poland began to buy more products from Russia.

http://www.rmf24.pl/ekonomia/news-ku...ow,nId,1704895

http://tvn24bis.pl/ze-swiata,75/kons...ry,526000.html

Demand for Russian goods increased due to lower prices on the difference in exchange rates. The company I work for, is unable to cope with the increased demand. LOL. No one could think about it.

I know that badly damaged the expected energy consumption, so nuclear power plants under construction are in abundance in the future. However, so far none have been canceled and is under construction.

Near the city of Ufa highway construction continues normally.

I do not know what's happening in other areas.
Juni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #2272
void0
BANNED

I was driving recently there at 3am and saw 20-30 units of construction equipment working, so construction pace is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo-F View Post

definitivo, loloo liked this post
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2273
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
I was driving recently there at 3am and saw 20-30 units of construction equipment working, so construction pace is good.
I think only one short section is currently u/c, isn't it?

M10: Ogonki – Beloostrov 18km (December 2014 to May 2018) – ? – map

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
Actual construction has started on M-10 "Scandinavia", the roads that goes from St-Petersburg till Finnish border.
The stretch is 47-65 km, 6 lines.
Price is 11312951389 rub, completion time is 58 month
http://spb-projects.ru/forum/viewtop...=asc&start=105
Are there already more sections u/c?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #2274
void0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think only one short section is currently u/c, isn't it?

M10: Ogonki – Beloostrov 18km (December 2014 to May 2018) – ? – map

Are there already more sections u/c?
Just this first one, 47-65km.
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #2275
drezdinski

Likes (Received): 7332

This is the Mannerheim highway, right?

Antonio Montana
drezdinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #2276
void0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdinski View Post
This is the Mannerheim highway, right?

Was build from the scratch and opened in the beginning of 1990s.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #2277
drezdinski

Likes (Received): 7332

Was supposed to be a joke. I know it's new... forget it.

Antonio Montana
drezdinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #2278
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

As this road will be a dual carriageway with motorway standards, why don't they assign it as part of the M11?
(An extension of it, perhaps?)
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #2279
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas97 View Post
As this road will be a dual carriageway with motorway standards, why don't they assign it as part of the M11?
(An extension of it, perhaps?)
According to Russian Wikipedia (link), M roads links only to Moscow. A roads links between other important centers.

Scandinavia highway (with ZSD) will not have direct connection (only via S.-Peterburg bypass) with M11, so I think that's why M11 won't be expanded to Finnish border. And I think that ZSD is more like city street or something like that, but with avtomagistral' standard.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #2280
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
According to Russian Wikipedia (link), M roads links only to Moscow. A roads links between other important centers.

Scandinavia highway (with ZSD) will not have direct connection (only via S.-Peterburg bypass) with M11, so I think that's why M11 won't be expanded to Finnish border. And I think that ZSD is more like city street or something like that, but with avtomagistral' standard.
Oh, i see.....allright then
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
roads