daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #2281
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Finland is building a motorway to Russia that is expected to be ready by 2018 = continuos motorway Turku-St. Petersburg.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #2282
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Finland is building a motorway to Russia that is expected to be ready by 2018 = continuos motorway Turku-St. Petersburg.
Are you sure Russia is going to finish their side before 2019? They have around 150 km of motorway to build.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #2283
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Are you sure Russia is going to finish their side before 2019? They have around 150 km of motorway to build.
Design phase usually takes long time, ~2 years and it is mostly over now, some sections already have passed expertise phase and now ready for tender. They started to build first section just few month ago and already are planning to put asphalt on May and re-route the traffic to the new road and starts reconstruction the old (parallel) one. It should be 3x2 till Vyborg and then 2x2 till Finnish border.
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #2284
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
Design phase usually takes long time, ~2 years and it is mostly over now, some sections already have passed expertise phase and now ready for tender. They started to build first section just few month ago and already are planning to put asphalt on May and re-route the traffic to the new road and starts reconstruction the old (parallel) one. It should be 3x2 till Vyborg and then 2x2 till Finnish border.
Why 3x2 till Vyborg? AADT is really that high?
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #2285
void0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Why 3x2 till Vyborg? AADT is really that high?
AFAIR, 50-60000
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #2286
void0
BANNED

Quote:
By that time almost till the Black Sea

RV liked this post
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #2287
tayano

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
AFAIR, 50-60000
The AADT might possibly be that high on the northern section of the ZSD (on a very busy day), but based on google imagery & my own experiences, it might be 10 000 - 20 000 on the Saint Petersburg (northern end of ZSD) - Vyborg section, and some 5 000 - 8 000 on the Vyborg - Finnish border section.

I think that strategic significance justifies building a 2x2 road all the way, but 3x3 till Vyborg seems a bit overkill. And at the same time, the mid-section of M11 is only 2x2
tayano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #2288
BlackShark

This M11 mid-section is designed in such a way that it can be easily improved into 3+3 (e.g. bridges have already appropriate width).

And don't forget about the existing 1+1 M10 road, which will be anyway used by intercity traffic because it will remain toll-free. In case of Vyborg highway, the existing 1+1 is being widened.
BlackShark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #2289
tayano

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
This M11 mid-section is designed in such a way that it can be easily improved into 3+3 (e.g. bridges have already appropriate width).

And don't forget about the existing 1+1 M10 road, which will be anyway used by intercity traffic because it will remain toll-free. In case of Vyborg highway, the existing 1+1 is being widened.
That's correct. My point is that I wonder why they are building a 3x3 on "Skandinavia" and 2x2 on M11 to start with, and not vice versa. Wise planning to prepare M11 for possible future widening, though.

"Skandinavia" was built in the 1990's as a new highway and also has a parallel road, the 41A-180/41K-181.
tayano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #2290
void0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayano View Post
The AADT might possibly be that high on the northern section of the ZSD (on a very busy day), but based on google imagery & my own experiences, it might be 10 000 - 20 000 on the Saint Petersburg (northern end of ZSD) - Vyborg section, and some 5 000 - 8 000 on the Vyborg - Finnish border section.
Cannot find the link, I think there was ~56000...
Old April 15th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #2291
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

The current road to Vyborg has two lanes, there is no way it carries over 30,000 vehicles per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #2292
void0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The current road to Vyborg has two lanes
more like 2x1.5
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #2293
RV

So the AADT is the same that on the road to Russia on Finnish side - I think it has a strong commercial status for both countries, I wish it will remain like this thinking about nowadays anti-free market-policies between EU and Russia...

Regarding AADT, it should be considered that 8000 with very heavy truck traffic justifies a high-level international link.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #2294
Rob73

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
One of greatest road projects in Russia, Western High Speed Diameter that goes through high density areas of St.Petersburg, central part is still u/c

The design of the motorway lighting looks very good, but why did they go with high pressure sodium lighting? A couple of weeks back I drove to Vyborg in the early morning, at least 1 in 20 of the lights have already blown, due to the design to replace the bulbs it looks like they would have to shut down the lane to use a cherry picker to replace them. This design looks really good and would have been much better thought out if they had used LED. Payback time would have been about 12 months based on maintenance and relamping, a well design LED street light has a design life of approx 100,000 hours L70 at 45 degrees ambiant temperature, with the colder Russian temps the lifetime would be significantly longer than 100,000 hours. This is a missed opportunity that will cost a lot in the long term IMO.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #2295
Rob73

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The current road to Vyborg has two lanes, there is no way it carries over 30,000 vehicles per day.
I think it would, I've driven to Vyborg from St Petersburg many times, it gets very busy, the upgrade to expressway or motorway standard can't come soon enough IMO. It's also a major holiday route for people of with dacha's in the Gulf of Finland.

The road out the Shlisselburg could also do with an upgrade. With the shipyards out that way and lots of heavy trucks the road is badly worn and not very well maintained.

Last edited by Rob73; April 17th, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #2296
void0
BANNED

Sochi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пельмень View Post

pai nosso, gunslinger liked this post
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:25 PM   #2297
void0
BANNED

Quote:
I liked the way how it has been built on Finnish side btw, quiet and coherently, not seriously affecting existing traffic.
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:45 PM   #2298
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
I think it would, I've driven to Vyborg from St Petersburg many times, it gets very busy, the upgrade to expressway or motorway standard can't come soon enough IMO. It's also a major holiday route for people of with dacha's in the Gulf of Finland.

The road out the Shlisselburg could also do with an upgrade. With the shipyards out that way and lots of heavy trucks the road is badly worn and not very well maintained.
Tallinskoje Shosse is also something to be really ashamed of - aren't they gonna done anything about it??

Also, what are this "perspective continuations" visible on Openstreetmap which are continuations of existing roads but go according to the plans into the sea?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:07 AM   #2299
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:09 AM   #2300
TGrave
Never mind

Likes (Received): 845

Quote:
Tallinskoje Shosse is also something to be really ashamed of - aren't they gonna done anything about it??
Its reconstruction has been started already (for the part from St.-Petersburg to 54 km), it will be normal 2x2 motorway, the main goal is to build bypasses for numerous villages which the current road goes through.

I don't know when the other parts of the road will be rebuilt (if I'm not mistaken, it's planned to be 2x2 at least until Kingisepp, and from there it's about 20 km to Ivangorod). Anyway, Tallinskoje Shosse has traffic many times lower than Scandinavia.
TGrave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
roads