daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #2401
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHatter View Post
The only road that came close to motorway requirements in the Soviet Union was the Vilnius-Kaunas road in Lithuania
It was considered as one of the most modern dual carriegeways in Eastern Europe. Back in 1970s there was a very little amount of dual carriegeways in the region, so this road was a very special one, I think, one of the first Soviet 'motorways' out of Moscow Region I heard that the road also had a motorway status, as some lower standard Latvian dual carriegeways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
Some dual carriageways built in Latvia in the Soviet times were considered 'motorways' afaik. That's the current A2 Riga-Gauja section; a section of Riga byapss, now A5 and two A6 sections Riga-Ogre and Nīcgale-Daugavpils.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #2402
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

I was always wondering why did they build such a high standard dual carriageway between Vilnius and Kaunas and between Vilnius and Panievezys? Wasn't the reason to make more important ports of Klajpeda and Riga and its connection to the rest of USRR? However if so why would these roads go towards Vilnius not towards Moscow?
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #2403
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
I was always wondering why did they build such a high standard dual carriageway between Vilnius and Kaunas and between Vilnius and Panievezys? Wasn't the reason to make more important ports of Klajpeda and Riga and its connection to the rest of USRR? However if so why would these roads go towards Vilnius not towards Moscow?
Lithuania wanted roads. Latvia wanted factories. Each got what they wanted. When the soviet empire collapsed and Russia, Latvia, Lithuania and the others got their freedom, the soviet factories were mostly worthless. Lithuania still has the roads.
Old October 15th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #2404
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

So apparently this Bridge near Kaliningrad was blown up at the end of WW2 and was only partly rebuild and the other half lies in ruins ever since.
In Sat-view you can see that there is a new Bridge to the west and apparently there are plans to completely demolish the old structures and build a second carriageway.
location in Gmaps
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #2405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

It makes for an interesting monument

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Avangard-55, Usman ali liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #2406
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

So apparently Koenigsberg (now Kaliningrad) had a full Reichsautobahn before 1945., at least this bridge.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #2407
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
So apparently Koenigsberg (now Kaliningrad) had a full Reichsautobahn before 1945., at least this bridge.
AFAIK the Reichsautobahn to Königsberg was a single-carriageway road. It's still visible (check Google Street View) next to the newer road.

darko06 liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #2408
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2658

Air view shows new bridge finished and running.
https://www.google.de/maps/@54.69071.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://maps.yandex.ru/?ll=20.598386...228&z=19&l=sat

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #2409
darko06

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
AFAIK the Reichsautobahn to Königsberg was a single-carriageway road. It's still visible (check Google Street View) next to the newer road.
I am well aware of that. However, according to posted picture, bombarded bridge was double (2+2), which means in full Reichsautobahn profile. Interesting that the Soviet authorities repaired only one half, probably after the WW2.
Although, it may be possible that this bridge wasn't demolished by Allied air raids and survived until the retreat of German troops soon before the end of WW2. The Germans probably tried to detonate it, but with mixed success: one half survived and after minor repairs successfully served citizens of Kaliningrad all these years.
Old October 15th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2410
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

did some research:
the old Bridge carried 4 lanes, was build in 1938 and was (is) 633 m long. It was blown up by the german Army in 1945.
Between 1962 and 64 one side was rebuild. The temporary (over 50 years ) steel section in the middle is right where the blurred cars are in the picture above.

darko06, TommyLopez liked this post
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #2411
darko06

Thank you very much.
Old October 17th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #2412
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
It was considered as one of the most modern dual carriegeways in Eastern Europe. Back in 1970s there was a very little amount of dual carriegeways in the region, so this road was a very special one, I think, one of the first Soviet 'motorways' out of Moscow Region I heard that the road also had a motorway status, as some lower standard Latvian dual carriegeways.
As I have read the most complete and longest dual carriageway-roads were built in Baltia and Belarus. not in Moscow for example; why that?

Tallinn's Lasnamäe "canyon" is 4+4-5+5. and Rifa's main access is 3+3, surely one of the most modern roads in the SSSR at that times.

BadHatter liked this post
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #2413
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Because the ZIL-lane made it only 10-lane single carriageway?
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #2414
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
As I have read the most complete and longest dual carriageway-roads were built in Baltia and Belarus. not in Moscow for example; why that?
The reason, I think, it's that Baltics and Belarus were been the most motorised Soviet states.

Better access to Baltic sea and Olympic Games in 1980 (Belarus), may also be a reason for this

And Moscow's vinicities are well served by public transport (railways, etc.) , so there was no need for investment for good motor roads. While there is inpractical to use railway to reach Klaipeda from let's say Kaunas
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #2415
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

It seems that there are probably plans do modernize this road to expressway standards as the new bridge is already under construction and to connect it to the Polish expressway S22. In the Polish newspaper I have read that the traffic volumes on this Polish-Russian border crossing heavily increased (as lot of Russians use to go for a shopping to Gdansk, etc.) Maybe you have more information about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
did some research:
the old Bridge carried 4 lanes, was build in 1938 and was (is) 633 m long. It was blown up by the german Army in 1945.
Between 1962 and 64 one side was rebuild. The temporary (over 50 years ) steel section in the middle is right where the blurred cars are in the picture above.

BadHatter liked this post
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #2416
bewu1

Likes (Received): 2085

The rouble devaluation last and this year significantly reduced the Poland's attractiveness for Russian customers.
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #2417
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLopez View Post
It seems that there are probably plans do modernize this road to expressway standards as the new bridge is already under construction and to connect it to the Polish expressway S22. In the Polish newspaper I have read that the traffic volumes on this Polish-Russian border crossing heavily increased (as lot of Russians use to go for a shopping to Gdansk, etc.) Maybe you have more information about it.
I think it is opposite. There is less cross-border traffic due to russian restrictions on EU food products and also due to depreciation of russian currency against polish zloty. However in a longer term it may have sense to built that connection. It is the shortest way for transit between that part of Russia and EU. It is on extension of the same alignment as on polish side. In Poland it took pretty quickly to upgrade it to expressway standard.

TommyLopez liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #2418
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
I think it is opposite. There is less cross-border traffic due to russian restrictions on EU food products and also due to depreciation of russian currency against polish zloty. However in a longer term it may have sense to built that connection. It is the shortest way for transit between that part of Russia and EU. It is on extension of the same alignment as on polish side. In Poland it took pretty quickly to upgrade it to expressway standard.
Yes, I meant it in a longer term.
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #2419
radko

Likes (Received): 3

I don't understand. What is mistake on russian motorways, e.g. Moscow - Tula? neither better not worst like in Lithuania.
Do you know history of motorways in Russia (USSR) anyone? I'm sure sections MKAD - Serpuchov; MKAD - Sergiev Posad; MKAD - Orechovo; MKAD - Volokolamsk, near Voronež in early. Sections have to completed in Soviet times. I doubt in wild Boris Jelcin times.
---
Btw. Russia need the West. In soviet times USSR import wheat (i don't why), machineries and export fossil products (the West), cars (Canada, Australia). According to me, for 5 year connection Berlin - Moscow will be completed.
radko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:26 AM   #2420
BadHatter

Likes (Received): 419

Just this year a new section of the Kaliningrad-Poland expressway was opened.

http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/67600/#cut
The post itself is really confusing on the whereabouts of this opening, but the comments shine a little more light on it. Google translate the URL for English-speakers, this is the only source where I found the information.
BadHatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
roads