daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #41
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Moscow is pretty dense populated. I think most of the population only can afford apartments, since housing in Moscow is extremely expensive.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #42
frozen

Likes (Received):

Do they use special materials for the pavenment roads because of the cold? Do the russians change the pneumatics in winter time too?
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #43
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
No, i don't think so. I haven't seen maps that show the M7 as a motorway. However, what i've seen from maps and Google Earth, the Russian definition of a motorway is the same as in the rest of Europe (at least 2x2+emergency lanes and no level crossings). However, the state of pavement may be worse considering local harsh winter condition (with temperatures ranging from +35 to -45).
I'm not sure about the MKAD, most maps show them as a motorway, but i think it is more considered as an expressway.

In Russia, there are a lot of threelaned and fourlaned roads, which aren't motorways. In fact, most M1 - M9 roads are generally of a quite good capacity, but the pavement can be extremely bad, and so is safety.
C'mon, you can't put the bad road quality on extreme weather. Look Finland for example...They have perfect road pavement everywhere.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #44
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorlan View Post
Russians highways - Rossiskaja magistrali (Российская магистрали) which means - Russian routes

I reckon it's good though
You seem to forget that Russian words have different ending depending on gender, quantity, etc. Plural 'Russian' will be Российские (Rossiyskie). As for the word 'magistrali', it doesn't exactly translate as highways. At least, you can trust me as being a Russian native speaker
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #45
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Moscow is pretty dense populated. I think most of the population only can afford apartments, since housing in Moscow is extremely expensive.
What else besides apartments can be in Moscow? In case you don't know, most people actually own their apartments, unlike in Europe and North America where apartments are usually rented. My family owned a 2-bedroom apartment (flat) in an ugly 16f commieblock on the outskirts of Kaliningrad until we sold it for $30,000. I have never had any regrets about it Now, every time I look at these tall commieblocks (whether it be China, Russia or Europe), I fall into depression
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #46
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
You seem to forget that Russian words have different ending depending on gender, quantity, etc. Plural 'Russian' will be Российские (Rossiyskie). As for the word 'magistrali', it doesn't exactly translate as highways. At least, you can trust me as being a Russian native speaker
In this case I can only trust you . I only translated the title of the thread, which seems to be incorrect (Rossiyskaja) anyway as it should be plural as you had mantioned. Our grammars are pretty similar.
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #47
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy2000 View Post
the condos are quite Chinese-style.
But chinese builds dense highrises just because they has hell enormous population.
Heck, you should rather say, Chinese condos are quite Russian style.

Or rather: Welcome to communist block architecture.
You should see such condos almost everywhere in eastern Europe. Ugly and uniform, but cheap and plentiful.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #48
fredru$

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
What else besides apartments can be in Moscow? In case you don't know, most people actually own their apartments, unlike in Europe and North America where apartments are usually rented. My family owned a 2-bedroom apartment (flat) in an ugly 16f commieblock on the outskirts of Kaliningrad until we sold it for $30,000. I have never had any regrets about it Now, every time I look at these tall commieblocks (whether it be China, Russia or Europe), I fall into depression
Where did you get this information?
The reality is, that in US most people actually own their apartments, or houses.

National homeownership trends The United States has now reached an all*time homeownership high of 70 percent; however, all ethnicities are not equally represented. Nationally, 76 percent of non* Hispanic white Americans own a home, but less than half of black and Hispanic Americans and only 55 percent of Asians are homeowners. Homeownership nationally increases with age with those 55 years and older having an ownership rate of more than 80 percent. Clearly, the problem is homeownership for those in the prime family*formation stage. The national homeownership rate for those under 35 years of age is just 43.1 percent. AGE GROUP % OWNERSHIP UNDER 35 YEARS 43.1% 35 TO 44 YEARS 68.6% 45 T0 54 YEARS 77.4% 55 TO 64 YEARS 81.2% 65 AND OVER 81.8% SOURCE: U.S. CENSUS BUREAU HOMEOWNERSHIP BY AGE GROUP UNITED STATES 2005 In his report, the President challenged the nation to dramatically increase its efforts to reduce the barriers to homeownership with particular emphasis on increasing homeownership for minorities. A Home of Your Own is a call to both the public and private sectors to “tear down barriers to homeownership.” The rising national homeownership rates are encouraging, but the situation in California is far less positive.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of russian roads, Russia has a lot to do to catch up with W.Europe, in quality and density, and with USA, in total length.

BTW: what is the dollar to ruble exchange rate?

Übersetzung / translation:
Schlesien wuchs hier immer in Macht und Kraft, mit dem ihm treuen Breslau.
Polen war nicht immer da, bleibt aber schon für immer.

Silesia always grew in strength here with faithful to her Wroclaw. Poland not always was here, but will stay here forever.

Last edited by fredru$; August 5th, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
fredru$ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #49
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredru$ View Post

BTW: what is the dollar to ruble exchange rate?
1 dollar = 25,4 roubles
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #50
fredru$

That makes - cir. $ 2,59 for 1gallon of gas, when in Philadelphia Pa. average price for 1gallon (3,78L) of premium gas is right now, around $3,00
So, the price for gas in Russia isn't that low, as I thought it would be.
It's the more strange to me, when you consider that Russia is a major producer of oil, and USA import most of the oil, used for production of gas, sold in USA.

Silesia always grew in strength here with faithful to her Wroclaw. Poland not always was here, but will stay here forever.
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #51
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Is it true that private motor vehicle ownership was either greatly restricted or totally banned in Russia under communism? If so, I guess there would have been little need for motorways and other similar roads so have most of Russia's motorways been built since communism's demise?
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #52
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Quote:
unlike in Europe and North America where apartments are usually rented.
Where did you get this information?
The reality is, that in US most people actually own their apartments, or houses.
I live in the USA for 7 years. The truth is - on the West Coast people rarely own apartments. In California, most of apartments are 3 stories high and made of 'popcorn'. They are almost never for sale.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #53
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
That makes - cir. $ 2,59 for 1gallon of gas, when in Philadelphia Pa. average price for 1gallon (3,78L) of premium gas is right now, around $3,00
So, the price for gas in Russia isn't that low, as I thought it would be.
It's the more strange to me, when you consider that Russia is a major producer of oil, and USA import most of the oil, used for production of gas, sold in USA.

Gas prices in the Netherlands are € 5,70 per Gallon or $ 7,70 per gallon. So in Russia and the US, gas is still quite a good deal, however i heard lots of US people complaining about the "high" gas prices, but they really have the luxury of low gas prices, so even when US gas prices doubles, it's still cheaper than in Western Europe.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #54
fredru$

Quote:
Gas prices in the Netherlands are € 5,70 per Gallon or $ 7,70 per gallon. So in Russia and the US, gas is still quite a good deal, however i heard lots of US people complaining about the "high" gas prices, but they really have the luxury of low gas prices, so even when US gas prices doubles, it's still cheaper than in Western Europe.
Seemingly yes, but what would you say if prices in Holland went up from 7,7/gal. to 15,4/gal. in period of two years? That's what has happend in USA - two years ago we paid 1,5 per gallon.
But that's not the end of story, along with rise of prices of gas, went up prices of everything - food, clothing, services - you name it, and salary stayed the same.

Old August 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #55
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy2000 View Post

the condos are quite Chinese-style.
But chinese builds dense highrises just because they has hell enormous population.

I wonder why Russian build such dull buildings while Russia has the largest area in the world.
Carryover of old Soviet building designs.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #56
Alex Von Königsberg

I wonder why Canadians like this old soviet design so much...
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #57
AUchamps

Quote:
That's what my dad said when on business in Toronto. They drove down Highway 427 from the airport and he said it looked rather depressing to see the Soviet bloc design of apartments. When I saw it for myself some years later, I had to agree.

We don't like that in the USA. Our Apartments are 2-3 levels tall and have entrances on the exterior or in an interior though exposed on each side to the outside, hall. I hope in the future, Western style neighborhoods with houses become more popular in Eastern Europe and Russia as wealth grows.
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #58
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
We don't like that in the USA. Our Apartments are 2-3 levels tall and have entrances on the exterior or in an interior though exposed on each side to the outside, hall. I hope in the future, Western style neighborhoods with houses become more popular in Eastern Europe and Russia as wealth grows.
I wouldn't say "we" for the entire USA. What you described is true for the West Coast, but on the East Coast they have their share of ugly commieblocks. Also, I would not relate wealth to the apartment design because like I said people in Russia own their apartments.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #59
AUchamps

Quote:
I wouldn't say "we" for the entire USA. What you described is true for the West Coast, but on the East Coast they have their share of ugly commieblocks. Also, I would not relate wealth to the apartment design because like I said people in Russia own their apartments.
Not in the South, and that's on the Eastern part of the USA. Come to Alabama and try to get away with having apartments like that. Ditto Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, and the Carolinas.

The only place you'll see apartments like that are College(yes we call University "College" here in the USA for anyone that doesn't know) Dorms or in Public Housing Projects. In both cases, they're being torn down and replaced with apartments that are more conventional like I described above.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #60
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
These pictured aren't that bad, maybe massive, but not all detoriated grey or something...

Tags
roads