daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1341
Maxi_Moscow

Likes (Received): 1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
You brought your car from the United States?
I personally did not. It was imported by someone to Lithuania and we bought it from them.
Maxi_Moscow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1342
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

How does it look to enter Russia via the M1 for EU-registered cars ? (France or Poland). Any complications ?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1343
Maxi_Moscow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

How does it look to enter Russia via the M1 for EU-registered cars ? (France or Poland). Any complications ?
You have to worry about the Polish/BY border. Russian/BY border is almost non existent. You just drive through and they stop your car only if you look suspicious. Selective screening is what it is. I did not see any cars from LT, LV, or PL having problems.
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1344
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Nice ! Because I'd be interested in going to Russia by car. Moscow, St Petersburg ... Maybe even further, to Kazakhstan

What about the border with Ukraine ? I heard it would be open soon ???

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #1345
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi_Moscow

You have to worry about the Polish/BY border. Russian/BY border is almost non existent. You just drive through and they stop your car only if you look suspicious. Selective screening is what it is. I did not see any cars from LT, LV, or PL having problems.
Really? I know that you need 2 different visas for Russia and Belarus, but with no border between them apparently you can, at your own risk, get a visa for Belarus and continue illegally to drive into Russia without Russian visa. Is there a sort of Schengen area between former soviet republics?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #1346
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Really? I know that you need 2 different visas for Russia and Belarus, but with no border between them apparently you can, at your own risk, get a visa for Belarus and continue illegally to drive into Russia without Russian visa. Is there a sort of Schengen area between former soviet republics?
You must be crazy to do that.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1347
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes

You must be crazy to do that.
If there are criminals who cross illegally the external schengen border that is heavily patrolled, why they shouldn't cross an almost unguarded border? Maybe because there isn't much illegal immigration to Russia.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1348
vatse

Likes (Received): 730

Quote:
You can do it. But you would have a big problem when checking-in to your first hotel or when stopped by traffic police on the road.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1349
italystf

I read a report of some Italians that though it was possible driving from Poland to Lithuania through Belarus with ID only (their destination was finland). They were lucky to be only rejected at the border and let go back to PL and not arrested. Travelling around the world without be informated means asking for troubles.
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1350
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Traffic cops should not check your permits, just you drive license, car insurance and car registration.
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #1351
Maxi_Moscow

Quote:
I was passing BY/RUS border at 5:00 a.m. There was no one at the border. All cars were just driving through. As i said earlier, there is a selective screening. Obviously your chances of getting pulled over with say Dutch plates are higher than with LT, or LV. But you bet they will stop at you at the entrance to Moscow or even before. You might be lucky at the border but not further in.
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #1352
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Is there any sort of cooperation between Belarusian & Russian authorities for this kind of cases ?

Old December 20th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1353
Maxi_Moscow

Quote:

Is there any sort of cooperation between Belarusian & Russian authorities for this kind of cases ?
You have to present a terrorist threat for them to cooperate! Well, you get the point.
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #1354
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Well, they do have something called the CIS, so there is some cooperation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #1355
Maxi_Moscow

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Well, they do have something called the CIS, so there is some cooperation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States
It is not as strict as it seems to be.
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1356
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Moscow traffic

geometarkv liked this post
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1357
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2294

The entire route from Moscow to Sankt-Peterburg (M10) is cover with street view in Yandex maps: http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CFuZBXkG
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1358
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
The entire route from Moscow to Sankt-Peterburg (M10) is cover with street view in Yandex maps: http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CFuZBXkG
there is also R-21 saint petersburg - petrozavodsk
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1359
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Moscow traffic looks like a harsher experience than London's, Paris region's, Caracas' ! Gosh ...

I assume at least there are some hours without congestion, right Like ... 5 AM ?

P.S.: @RipleyLV - thanks for the info

Old December 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1360
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
there is also R-21 saint petersburg - petrozavodsk
Yeah, but M10 is more important.

Quote:
P.S.: @RipleyLV - thanks for the info
No problem, you can also view my report made last year on how M10 looks like in general with added comments, just in case you get bored of Yandex pictures. Link: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...506826&page=46
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
roads