daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #121
cezarsab
ROMANIA|SYRIA Forever

Likes (Received): 3

very nice roads...not as western countries but they are good enough.. imean in general..
those in moscow are very good

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM   #122
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

WHY NO CAPTIONS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzem View Post

I have seen this gallery before, and the photos are very interesting. However, there are no captions which would give someone a location for the photos, nor any link to, say, Google Earth.
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM   #123
Smelser

VERY DIFFICULT TO BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
The only place you'll see apartments like that are College(yes we call University "College" here in the USA for anyone that doesn't know) Dorms or in Public Housing Projects. In both cases, they're being torn down and replaced with apartments that are more conventional like I described above.
I find this very difficult to believe. What you're saying is that there are no apartment buildings in American cities, only townhouses. Clearly that is not the case.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM   #124
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelser View Post
I find this very difficult to believe. What you're saying is that there are no apartment buildings in American cities, only townhouses. Clearly that is not the case.
Here's what we classify as Apartments in the vast majority of the USA:

AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:23 AM   #125
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Ahm these are very low density apartments, if you ask me. I've been to NYC, and they had much larger, plain-looking apartment buildings. In Toronto we have lots of high density apartment buildings that are actually similar to those Russian ones in many ways, although still not the same.

One important difference is that in Russia buildings do not have their own heating systems, but rather use hot water that is brought in pipes from a central steam plant. This system has many problems, as pipes sometimes freeze in the winter.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM   #126
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Ahm these are very low density apartments, if you ask me. I've been to NYC, and they had much larger, plain-looking apartment buildings. In Toronto we have lots of high density apartment buildings that are actually similar to those Russian ones in many ways, although still not the same.

One important difference is that in Russia buildings do not have their own heating systems, but rather use hot water that is brought in pipes from a central steam plant. This system has many problems, as pipes sometimes freeze in the winter.
This is why I said "Here's what we classify as Apartments in the vast majority of the USA"

These apartments are typical of what you'd see in cities like Peoria, Lubbock, Jackson, and elsewhere in the USA. 2-3 stories tall and all rented out.

EDIT: What I showed are apartments. What you're describing are Commie Blocks(yes even in Toronto and NYC, they all looked like something out of the former Soviet Union)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #127
TheCat

They do look like that, but are referred to as apartments. Anything for rent here is referred to by this term (as opposed to condos). Never really heard the term Commie Blocks being used to describe the buildings here. I only heard this term in the context of ex-USSR.

EDIT: By the way, those buildings you showed look really nice to live in. Some of them look like expensive townhouses in Toronto. If I rented, I'd love to live in something like these
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:16 AM   #128
AUchamps

Quote:
They do look like that, but are referred to as apartments. Anything for rent here is referred to by this term (as opposed to condos). Never really heard the term Commie Blocks being used to describe the buildings here. I only heard this term in the context of ex-USSR.
So you admit that you don't have apartments like the majority of the USA(and Canada) around you? Frankly I prefer those "standard" apartments that I posted.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM   #129
TheCat

Quote:
So you admit that you don't have apartments like the majority of the USA(and Canada) around you? Frankly I prefer those "standard" apartments that I posted.
Well, I don't know what they look like in the majority of the USA and Canada. I assumed most large cities look similar in North America. In Toronto almost all apartment buildings look like Commie Blocks (I used to live in one as well). Technically, such Commie Blocks are the only way to support the high density of large cities, in my opinion, even though I agree that they look like crap.

I do prefer those apartments that you posted, as I mentioned in my edit.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:34 AM   #130
AUchamps

Quote:
Well, I don't know what they look like in the majority of the USA and Canada. I assumed most large cities look similar in North America. In Toronto almost all apartment buildings look like Commie Blocks (I used to live in one as well). Technically, such Commie Blocks are the only way to support the high density of large cities, in my opinion, even though I agree that they look like crap.

I do prefer those apartments that you posted, as I mentioned in my edit.
This is true; most extremely large metros have the tall bland apartment blocks you describe, but even in large Metro areas like Nashville, Atlanta, Louisville, Memphis, and Charlotte, those apartments I showed above are the norm. And they aren't expensive at all, that's the big draw.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:20 AM   #131
Smelser

SMALL TOWN VERSUS METRO AREAS

Quote:
These apartments are typical of what you'd see in cities like Peoria, Lubbock, Jackson, and elsewhere in the USA. 2-3 stories tall and all rented out.
These are not metropolitan areas where the majority if Americans live. Cities like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles will all have high-rise apartments. The lower density apartment/townhouse projects you illustrate will also be present, but would tend to be either in more suburban areas, or else, very high priced. The Greater Vancouver planning types have a generic term to cover the types of buildings your photographs showed. The call it "ground-oriented", a nice sort of phrase that really means nothing over three floors and almost certainly wood frame as opposed to reinforced concrete.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #132
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelser View Post
These are not metropolitan areas where the majority if Americans live. Cities like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles will all have high-rise apartments. The lower density apartment/townhouse projects you illustrate will also be present, but would tend to be either in more suburban areas, or else, very high priced. The Greater Vancouver planning types have a generic term to cover the types of buildings your photographs showed. The call it "ground-oriented", a nice sort of phrase that really means nothing over three floors and almost certainly wood frame as opposed to reinforced concrete.
Please see post #107 that I made on this thread.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM   #133
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Maybe like that...
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #134
Mateusz

Are any plans of construction motorway from Moscow to Sankt Petersburg ? I think it's now road M10
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Yep, there are plans for such a connection.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #136
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.roads.ru/

Russian site about roads.

Haven't read it yet.
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #137
Mateusz

Is there english version ? I can read only single words in russian...
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They have a forum

http://www.roads.ru/forum/

But it doesn't look too active...
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #139
Mateusz

SSC is really active
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #140
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Russian bridge/tunnel projects sets standards

Europe’s highest cable suspension bridge is now open, forming part of a new link into Russia’s capital Moscow. The bridge forms part of a new 7km link with Moscow’s ring road. The Zhivopisny cable suspension footbridge across the Moskva River stands 105m tall making it the highest of its kind in Europe. The bridge is the most visually apparent part of this project. However, perhaps the most innovative part of the project is underground. The newly opened road section starts near the Novorizhskoye Shosse, Moscow’s ring road interchange, which is currently under reconstruction. It then passes through a set of tunnels under the Serebryany Bor forest area and, after crossing the Moskva River, approaches Prospekt Marshala Zhukova, which is also currently undergoing reconstruction. From there, the road leads on to the Garden Ring near Sadovo-Kudrinskaya Square, providing a link between Novaya Riga and Moscow city centre.

The design includes an innovative two-level tunnel structure which was used in the construction of the northwest tunnels. This is innovative as it combines a road and an underground railway within a single space. The two main transport tunnels are each 14m in diameter and divided into three tiers, with an upper level designed to remove exhaust fumes, a middle level for three lanes of car traffic and a lower level for one track of the Strogino metro line. The construction includes a 6m wide service tunnel, situated between the two main tunnels, designed to facilitate evacuation in the event of an emergency and to house cable, ventilation channels and other utilities.

Construction of the new section of road began in 2004. The construction project was managed by PSO Sistema-Hals, a subsidiary of Sistema-Hals. The suspension bridge is 1,460m long, includes a 409.5m section suspended by 72 individual cables from a supporting pylon 30m above the water. The rigid metallic arch of the pylon, which is at 90º to the road on fixed supports mounted in the water, stands 105m above the river.

Tags
roads