daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #1921
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
Yeah, half of the Europe.
My personal record is 1000km for one row from Helsinki to Lapland
I did Zadar to Prague in one day, and I was completely wrecked at the end of it. I was stopped by the police in Prague for turning without indicators, but I just babbled nonsense to them about being exhausted and needing to go to bed - so they let me go.

I can't imagine doing another 500km on top of that!
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #1922
golov
Democracy above all

Likes (Received): 1913

Its extremely stupid to do such long distances in one go, yet I do at least a couple of runs Izhevsk-Moscow per year, which totally wears me out and takes about 17-18 hours. The distance is only 1200 km, but the road takes so long because there are a few long sections of 1x1 with heavy traffic where you can go max 60-80 km/h
golov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1923
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by golov View Post
Its extremely stupid to do such long distances in one go, yet I do at least a couple of runs Izhevsk-Moscow per year, which totally wears me out and takes about 17-18 hours. The distance is only 1200 km, but the road takes so long because there are a few long sections of 1x1 with heavy traffic where you can go max 60-80 km/h
That's even worse than my run, I think - at least my journey was all on motorway (except two smallish sections). And my wife drove the first 350km too!
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #1924
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

I've read some kind of advisory from Dutch motorist association ANWB that you can - on average - drive only 350 km per day in the Russian Federation due to the poor roads and heavy traffic.

This is probably bollocks (ANWB is not the best informed motoring club), but how many kilometers can you reasonably drive per day if you have to travel along regional roads?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #1925
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've read some kind of advisory from Dutch motorist association ANWB that you can - on average - drive only 350 km per day in the Russian Federation due to the poor roads and heavy traffic.

This is probably bollocks (ANWB is not the best informed motoring club), but how many kilometers can you reasonably drive per day if you have to travel along regional roads?
I regularly drive from St.Petersburg to Helsinki, from St.Petersburg till the border it takes 3-3.5h and that is about 290km for me, the whole trip is about 7-8h including short stops and border control.
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #1926
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Wow, I've done 1200 km trips several times, probably going to do a 1400 km trip (then, 1400 km back) in 1 month
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1927
Babysitter

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:

Well, road quality varies heavily between regions but traveling along regional roads instead of using federal network is generally a very bad idea as you can often find yourself driving no faster than 40kph maneuvering between holes or following a long caravan of agricultural machinery. But in some regions local roads are just like 1+1 federal ones. Overall, I wouldn't recommend driving more than 700-800km without a long rest
Babysitter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #1928
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 7001

Many of R and A roads are relatively good nowadays. There are some broken parts, especially on subject borders.
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #1929
LeCom

Likes (Received): 700

I filmed this some time ago...

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #1930
void0
BANNED

Quote:
It is better to avoid directions from the big cities Friday evening or to the big cities Sunday evenings (also partially Monday mornings) to avoid traffic jams, since everyone was visiting his "dacha" over weekends. In the same time roads have been imo improved in last 5 years, so 350km look like a small distance, it should be 600-900km instead
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #1931
Maks33

Likes (Received): 876

Video presentation of the Kerch Strait Bridge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppGkUsPV2U
Maks33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Nice presentation. I'm a bit surprised by the bridge choice, it seems to have limited clearance for shipping to get into the Sea of Azov.

Maks33 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 05:53 PM   #1933
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2907

But why exactly did they choose this - the more longer and probably more expensive option? They need to build a completely new railway and everything.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:05 PM   #1934
void0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
But why exactly did they choose this - the more longer and probably more expensive option? They need to build a completely new railway and everything.
They say chosing another option will stop navigation while construction is going on

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:22 PM   #1935
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2658

Quote:
Nice presentation. I'm a bit surprised by the bridge choice, it seems to have limited clearance for shipping to get into the Sea of Azov.
Average depth 7 metres (23 ft)[1]
Max. depth 14 m (46 ft)[1]

So, no big deal, the sea is to small to allow big ships already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_Azov

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:31 PM   #1936
Maks33

Likes (Received): 876

Maximal depth of the Kerch Strait is 18 metres. Large ships can't sail anyway.
Maks33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:06 AM   #1937
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2658

I needed a lot of time, but at last i found this:

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.

Maks33 liked this post
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:57 PM   #1938
void0
BANNED

Regarding Kerch bridge: in 1944, at war time, a one now has been built but destroyed next year due to design mistakes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerch_Strait_Bridge
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #1939
void0
BANNED

Constructing new motorway St.Petersburg-Moscow. First stretch (15-58km) should be opened this year

Old June 29th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #1940
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It looks like it is passing in free area, was space for this motorway reserved for many years?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
roads