daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #461
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

Likes (Received): 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Please credit these photos properly. The author is : http://www.flickr.com/photos/yleberre/with/5522003048/
Sorry :S This is me...
YannSZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #462
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18185

^ Ah OK, sorry. We're quite sensitive to attributing authors properly especially for Flickr these days.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #463
hkskyline
Hong Kong

First arrests in Tsoi Yuen Tsuen
2 March 2011
South China Morning Post

Two protesters were arrested for causing criminal damage after clashing with MTR Corporation employees at Tsoi Yuen Tsuen yesterday. They were the first arrests since the lands officials and MTR Corp moved into the village in Shek Kong, Yuen Long, in November to start building a depot for the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Link. Police said they arrested the two after receiving complaints that metal fences were being damaged.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #464
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Bill Nye Should Check Out China; Another “World’s Fastest” Train Near

Mar. 12 2011 - 11:42 pm

China completes underground tunnel Saturday for its latest high speed line. MTR Corporation's bullet train will average 217 mph and be operational between 2012-15.
MTRs super train is not ready to glide at top speeds under ground just yet. What was completed this weekend was just the Shiziyang Tunnel under the Pearl River estuary in south China’s Guangdong Province. The tunnel is around 7 miles long and designed especially for high speed, underground transit. China’s underground will be the world’s fastest when the express train is operational by as early as 2012, according to MTR.

The tunnel is a key part of a 140-kilometer high-speed rail link that connects Guangzhou, the capital of China’s southern economic powerhouse Guangdong, with the city of Shenzhen, also in Guangdong, and Hong Kong. Liu Guangjun, project manager with the Shiziyang Tunnel, told Xinhua that large shielding machines had been used in digging the tunnel at 196 feet underwater.

Construction of the tunnel started in November 2007. The Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong express rail would slash travel time between Guangzhou and Hong Kong to 40 minutes from the current two hours and will ultimately be part of an 88 mile stretch of high speed railroad connecting Hong Kong with mainland China. According to the environmental impact study on the project back in 2009, the train “will significantly increase integration of cities, and promote business and tourism towards a greener economy.”
In which year exactly shall the rail link open between Futian and West Kowloon stations?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #465
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Hi chornedsnorkack. I respectfully request that you phrase your questions forthwith along the lines of "when will the rail link between Futian and West Kowloon stations be opened", instead of "in which year exactly shall the rail link open between Futian and West Kowloon stations". I understand that this constitutes pedantry on my part. However, you have posted numerous short one-question posts and they have mostly been structured in that way.

This is my two cents worth and I would appreciate if you could take my suggestion on. Thank you in advance.
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #466
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
In which year exactly shall the rail link open between Futian and West Kowloon stations?
Right now, scheduled 2015/2016.
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #467
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post

Hi chornedsnorkack. I respectfully request that you phrase your questions forthwith along the lines of "when will the rail link between Futian and West Kowloon stations be opened", instead of "in which year exactly shall the rail link open between Futian and West Kowloon stations". I understand that this constitutes pedantry on my part. However, you have posted numerous short one-question posts and they have mostly been structured in that way.

This is my two cents worth and I would appreciate if you could take my suggestion on. Thank you in advance.
I at least understood what chornedsnorkack was asking; I don't know what you are on about.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #468
Galactic

Likes (Received): 11

I'm not sure what the information on the opening of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen section previously was, but I think it has been delayed:
http://english.sz.gov.cn/ln/201103/t...28_1646783.htm
The opening of the Universiade is on August 12, so apparently the line will be open on August 11.
Galactic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #469
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
I'm not sure what the information on the opening of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen section previously was, but I think it has been delayed:
http://english.sz.gov.cn/ln/201103/t...28_1646783.htm
The opening of the Universiade is on August 12, so apparently the line will be open on August 11.
Yes but I don't think they are talking about the Futian - Guangzhou section. I think they are talking about the section between Shenzhen North Train Station to Guangzhou. I really don't see FuTian underground train station opening in August, there's just too much work to do.
ShenzhenVille Instagram account: @ShenzhenVille
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #470
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post

Not everyone speaks English as their first language. Please don't be so disrespectful on an international forum.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #471
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Not everyone speaks English as their first language. Please don't be so disrespectful on an international forum.
Totally agree.
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #472
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I apologise. It is not in my place to criticise anyone's level of English nor was it ever my intention to do so. I was annoyed that he repeatedly posted similar one-liner questions across this forum. I understand that he has every right to but I thought I was being as respectful as I could be in stating that it would help if he could restructure future posts, but clearly that was not the case.

I sincerely did not wish to cause any anger and I again apologise to anyone who feels that I was putting anyone down simply because of English.
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM   #473
chornedsnorkack

Look at the article I quoted.

It is quite loosely worded - are they talking about Guangzhou-Longhua, Guangzhou-Futian or Guangzhou-Hong Kong? Precisely which year? Yes, I say "which year", not "when". It is quite understandable that in 2011, it is not known "exactly which day" something it gets completed 4...5 years into future, so if it turns out that it is not yet known whether West Kowloon station shall open in 2015 or 2016, it is quite normal that it may be the answer that it opens 2015 or 2016. But since rail construction does take a few years even in China, "as early as 2012" or "2012-2015" are confusing as for uncertainty of future plans.

When a long news item contains a few points which are ambiguously worded, or contradict previous news (thus representing either change of plans or error) or are conspicuously missing from the picture, I feel it quite appropriate to ask a short clarifying question about some unclear point. If you feel annoyed, explain more about what is a better way to seek such clarification?

Now back on topic.

If Futian station is not ready to be opened before 12th of August, 2011, then in which year shall Futian station and Longhua-Futian high speed railway be opened?
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #474
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

SZdaily - April 7th:

http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2011-...nt_1511778.htm

Quote:
GZ-SZ express rail to open in Aug.
THE Guangzhou-Shenzhen section of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link would open Aug. 8, the contractor said over the weekend.

The 116-km Guangzhou-Shenzhen section connects Guangzhou, Dongguan and Shenzhen in Guangdong. The expected travel time between Guangzhou South Railway Station and Shenzhen’s Futian Station is 36 minutes. Trains on this line will run at a maximum speed of 350 km/h.

Apart from Guangzhou South and Futian, the section will have another four stations from north to south, Dongchong, Humen, Guangming and Longhua.

The 142-km cross-border express railway will open in phases between 2011 and 2016. It will connect Kowloon in Hong Kong in the south and Panyu in Guangzhou in the north. The whole trip is expected to take 48 minutes.

The 26-km Hong Kong section, most of which is underground, is scheduled to open in 2016. It will have a maximum speed of 200 km/h.

The expected travel time from the West Kowloon Terminal to Guangzhou South Railway Station in Shibi, Guangzhou, will be 48 minutes. The railway will connect with the Wuhan-Guangzhou High-Speed Railway at Guangzhou South Station and the Xiamen-Shenzhen Railway at Shenzhen North Railway Station.

With the growing demand for cross border transport to and from the mainland, the Hong Kong government proposed to build the express railway in 2000.

(Li Jing)
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #475
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannSZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jing
THE Guangzhou-Shenzhen section of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link would open Aug. 8, the contractor said over the weekend.

The 116-km Guangzhou-Shenzhen section connects Guangzhou, Dongguan and Shenzhen in Guangdong. The expected travel time between Guangzhou South Railway Station and Shenzhen’s Futian Station is 36 minutes. Trains on this line will run at a maximum speed of 350 km/h.

Apart from Guangzhou South and Futian, the section will have another four stations from north to south, Dongchong, Humen, Guangming and Longhua.
Does it mean that Futian Station is, after all, on schedule for opening on 8th of August?

Quote:
The railway will connect with the Wuhan-Guangzhou High-Speed Railway at Guangzhou South Station and the Xiamen-Shenzhen Railway at Shenzhen North Railway Station.
And Guangzhou-Wuhan takes something like 3:16 with one stop at Changsha. Add 36 minutes and we are at 3:52. A few minutes at Shibi Station... and Futian-Wuhan should be under 4 hours.

How frequent shall through trains Futian-Wuhan be this August?
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #476
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Does anyone know what type(s) of trainsets will be operating the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong high-speed railway?

Will it be a current CRH trainset that is already in operation elsewhere?
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #477
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Final bitter-sweet days for railway refugees
11 April 2011
South China Morning Post

Few traces remain of the two-year battle waged between villagers, activists, the government and the MTR Corp over the future of a community forced to move out of the way of the new high-speed border railway.

The self-styled patrol unit of students and other volunteers who vowed to protect the Tsoi Yuen villagers has gone. So have the security guards hired by the MTR Corp with whom the protesters often clashed. And by the end of the month, the remaining villagers will also be gone.

All that is left to show of the intense political struggle between a new breed of activists, who believe the city should not sacrifice the well-being of any individual in its pursuit of economic growth, and the pro-growth government are the paintings and photographs around the village that document a two-year campaign.

Things have gone quiet since a deal was finalised for the residents to move to temporary homes built by the MTR Corp on land they have bought to build a new village.

"I have been packing for several days," 72-year-old Ip Shui-lai said. "It will take some soul-searching to figure out what to take and what to leave. Moving from a big home to a smaller one means plenty of the things have to be thrown away."

Ip and his father pooled their savings of HK$30,000 to buy 7,800 sq ft of land in the once little-known village near the People's Liberation Army camp at Shek Kong in 1963. His father, a teacher, named it Ip Garden and built a 700 sq ft house where they planted fruit trees, grew vegetables and raised chickens and pigeons, selling what they did not need.

"But it is a relief that we are having a new village eventually after so much hardship and frustration," Ip said as he took a break from packing in his house, which will be demolished to make way for a depot for the HK$66.9 billion railway connecting Hong Kong with Guangzhou. "I look forward to living in the new village where I believe I can enjoy retirement," he said.

But for neighbour Shung Tai, it is a sad moment. "The past two years have been a bad time," she said. "This house I am living in was built by my parents. I have lived here since I was born and those neighbours have been my neighbours for the past half a century. I don't want to move but I have no choice." Weeping, she said she had not started packing because "I don't know how to pack".

The villagers will move into 35 temporary flats of 400 sq ft each on a 188,000 sq ft site in nearby Yuen Kong village, which they bought for more than HK$18 million and where they plan to build an eco-friendly village with an organic farm and orchard.

Chen Yun-chung, an assistant professor of social science at the University of Science and Technology, who is helping plan the new village, said it should be completed by the end of the year.

Chen said villagers approached the government in mid-February with a proposal for moving to temporary housing. "They were exhausted by the clashes with the MTRC security guards, and the environment of the village was deteriorating rapidly as demolition had begun, so they made the concession of living in temporary housing," he said.

But first they had to overcome the objections of their new neighbours. After agreeing to forgo their rights in the village elections, they were faced with mounting financial demands for the right to use the only access road, which rose from an initial HK$200 to HK$5 million, or 12,000 sq ft of land plus HK$500,000.

The deadlock was resolved shortly after the Lunar New Year when a mystery benefactor paid the access fee and donated the rights to the Heung Yee Kuk.

The villagers began protesting in 2008 when they were first told they had to move, but no one took much notice until January last year when thousands of people in their twenties responded to activists' calls to surround the Legislative Council when a vote on funding for the railway was to be taken.

The action developed into a serious challenge for the government and marked the emergence of the so-called post-80s generation as a political force.

Originally 86 families joined the plan to buy land for a new village, but that number had dwindled to 47 by the time the deal was signed in December last year.

Clashes between Tsoi Yuen villagers, their patrol unit and MTR Corp security guards became a common sight after early January as demolition work intensified. One of the clashes led to about 50 villagers and supporters being taken away by police and security guards.

Ip hopes the villagers' campaign will change the government's way of handling demolitions prompted by development projects.

"I hope we will set a precedent that those who move out are not consumed by anger," he said.

"I hope the government will treat and talk to those affected by resettlement with respect and care.

"If they can change their attitude, I'm sure they can avoid a lot of confrontation with the public. Who wants confrontation?"

Old April 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #478
hkskyline
Hong Kong

West Kowloon - 4/9

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM   #479
Scion

Likes (Received): 4641

image hosted on flickr

05013979 by ANR2008, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

05013ADE by ANR2008, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

05013C65 by ANR2008, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

05014021 by ANR2008, on Flickr