daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #581
Myouzke

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I think this is amazing because this High Speed Rail station is in the center of town rather than on the outskirts like other Chinese cities, extremely convenient. Even Shenzhen Railway Station(Luohu) is another conveniently located HSR station. It seems that most other Chinese cities have their high speed rail stations on the outskirts(Guangzhou South comes to mind).

It would be nice if planners could build a high speed branch from Guangzhou South to Zhujiang New Town(Guangzhou) to truly have city center to city center high speed rail connections on the Guangshen'gang railway. It might all have to be an underground line but I think the concept would be perfect for Guangzhou.

Also thanks for the updates DoubleU
They can just built it on Jinshazhou as Guangzhou West Station its a perfect location and its so close to downtown Guangzhou.
Myouzke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #582
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
This is probably the same for the U.S. .... I bet any other country as well. A 1 hour flight could really mean a 3 hour trip from doorstep to doorstep. I love planes a little more than trains but to try out the CRH would be awesome. I've only been on the CRH1 from Guangzhou East to Shenzhen(Luohu) and the Shanghai maglev(only ran at 186mph vs. 268mph since it was evening). Maybe by the time I visit China again the CRH500's will be cruising the main high speed lines regularly with no speed reductions.

Interestingly enough during my trip to China in 2010 I had 6 domestic flight segments but only one was delayed(SHA-PEK). I'm glad it an hour late because I probably would have missed it if the flight was on time.
The delays that Chinese air travel have on a daily basis are no where near as bad in other countries. Waiting for clearance for an hour 1/6 flights? Rarely happens in clear weather in North America, happens routinely in China. I have flown for decades in the USA and never had a one hour delay on the runway and when it DOES happen it makes the news as everyone complains. Happened a few times recently and a new law was passed to make it illegal to sit a plane on the taxi for hours. Mostly you arrive, plane leaves on time, maybe a gate change, you get on, plane pushes back at depart time, you taxi 15 minutes and take off. Done.

USA timeline would be this;
Drive from your home to Airport lot. 30 minutes
Wait for Shuttle to Terminal, take it. 15 minutes.
Get to terminal, through security, check your bag. 30 minutes to 60 minutes, airport depending.
Get to gate and sit for 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
Gate opens 30 minutes prior to departure, closes 10 minutes prior.
Get in your seat, settle in.
Taxi and take off 15 minutes
Fly there, land, taxi to gate. 2 hours for comparable flight.
Grab your bags, walk off the plan, get luggage a taxi and go. 20 minutes.

90 minutes to 3 hours before you are in the air, few delays in clear weather.

I have cut it as close as 75 minutes driving from home to a small airport. Do that going to JFK and you won't make the flight. 2hours is best to leave prior to flight time in USA.

China? Well I still look at buses as time saving over some routes compared to NNNN trains, and the CRH is preferred for any trip under 1500km or so. Really prefer the CRH for most trips. Shorter security line, easier and faster to get to the terminal and trains, get there at slightly less avg speed than a turbofan, just a faster experience.

With lots of leg room.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #583
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Indeed, China's largest cities are very prone to major flight delays and there are all sorts of excuses given for it. But Beijing - Shenzhen is a very long journey so I probably would put up with the risk of a few hours delay. The flight is 3.5 hours only.
Definitely. A trip of that distance, 1958km, even with many hours of delays, still makes sense via plane. I guess 1500km+ maybe? For the cutoff?

CRH 250 to 300 kph avg. 8.7 to 7.0 hours
Plane with 3 hours of delays. 302kph avg. Shorter distance than the train.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #584
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
The delays that Chinese air travel have on a daily basis are no where near as bad in other countries. Waiting for clearance for an hour 1/6 flights? Rarely happens in clear weather in North America, happens routinely in China. I have flown for decades in the USA and never had a one hour delay on the runway and when it DOES happen it makes the news as everyone complains. Happened a few times recently and a new law was passed to make it illegal to sit a plane on the taxi for hours. Mostly you arrive, plane leaves on time, maybe a gate change, you get on, plane pushes back at depart time, you taxi 15 minutes and take off. Done.

USA timeline would be this;
Drive from your home to Airport lot. 30 minutes
Wait for Shuttle to Terminal, take it. 15 minutes.
Get to terminal, through security, check your bag. 30 minutes to 60 minutes, airport depending.
Get to gate and sit for 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
Gate opens 30 minutes prior to departure, closes 10 minutes prior.
Get in your seat, settle in.
Taxi and take off 15 minutes
Fly there, land, taxi to gate. 2 hours for comparable flight.
Grab your bags, walk off the plan, get luggage a taxi and go. 20 minutes.

90 minutes to 3 hours before you are in the air, few delays in clear weather.

I have cut it as close as 75 minutes driving from home to a small airport. Do that going to JFK and you won't make the flight. 2hours is best to leave prior to flight time in USA.

China? Well I still look at buses as time saving over some routes compared to NNNN trains, and the CRH is preferred for any trip under 1500km or so. Really prefer the CRH for most trips. Shorter security line, easier and faster to get to the terminal and trains, get there at slightly less avg speed than a turbofan, just a faster experience.

With lots of leg room.
I must have gotten really lucky that time when I was in China. My domestic flights were:

HKG-SYX - Dragonair (On time)
HAK-CAN - China Southern (On time)
SZX-KWL - China Southern (On time)
KWL-CKG - China Southern (On time)
CGK-PVG - China Eastern (On time)
SHA-PEK- Air China (Delayed 1hr) - cold and cloudy weather in Beijing

Next time I visit China I might not be so luck then. The weather was great during the late September - early October 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
The construction site used to be a large road anyway, and it will be restored once construction is done IIRC.
I know I asked the question in another thread. I thought there might be some building marking the station location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myouzke View Post
They can just built it on Jinshazhou as Guangzhou West Station its a perfect location and its so close to downtown Guangzhou.
Jinshazhou is an island correct? Is the blue line below what you might be proposing? I know the original downtown is near Guangzhou West Station yet isn't the focus on Zhujiang New Town? I thought having a high speed terminus there would be perfect. Guangzhou South seems really far from the rest of the city. It might take as much time to get home from GZ South as it takes to get to Shenzhen non-stop for most people.

[IMG]http://i50.************/sy2txl.jpg[/IMG]
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #585
DoubleU

Likes (Received): 413

Train trip to Zhengzhou to take about six hours

TRAVELERS in Shenzhen will be able to take a six-hour train to Zhengzhou, capital of Henan Province, when a rail section linking Wuhan, capital of Hubei Province, and Zhengzhou opens by the end of September.
The 482.7-km rail line was put into test operation Sunday for trains going at speeds of 300 kilometers per hour. It takes only 90 minutes to get from Wuhan to Zhengzhou along the line which covers nine stations, the official Web site of Guangzhou Railway Group Corp. said.
The section between Beijing and Shijiazhuang in Hebei Province and the section between Shijiazhuang and Wuhan will be put into use before the end of the year, marking the completion of the Beijing-Shenzhen High-speed Railway.
After the whole line is put into use, it will take about nine hours to get from Shenzhen to Beijing along the 2,120 kilometer rail.
The opening of Zhengzhou-Wuhan high-speed rail means that passengers could easily change to other rail lines through Zhengzhou Station, the central station of China which links the east-west and north-south trunk railways.
At present, there are two trains a day, K1040 and K134, from Shenzhen to Zhengzhou and the train journey between the two cities takes about 24 hours.

Source: http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2012-...nt_2181225.htm
DoubleU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #586
Galactic

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
I must have gotten really lucky that time when I was in China. My domestic flights were:

HKG-SYX - Dragonair (On time)
HAK-CAN - China Southern (On time)
SZX-KWL - China Southern (On time)
KWL-CKG - China Southern (On time)
CGK-PVG - China Eastern (On time)
SHA-PEK- Air China (Delayed 1hr) - cold and cloudy weather in Beijing

Next time I visit China I might not be so luck then. The weather was great during the late September - early October 2010.

I know I asked the question in another thread. I thought there might be some building marking the station location.

Jinshazhou is an island correct? Is the blue line below what you might be proposing? I know the original downtown is near Guangzhou West Station yet isn't the focus on Zhujiang New Town? I thought having a high speed terminus there would be perfect. Guangzhou South seems really far from the rest of the city. It might take as much time to get home from GZ South as it takes to get to Shenzhen non-stop for most people.

[IMG]http://i50.************/sy2txl.jpg[/IMG]
A new railway line to central Guangzhou would likely have to be in a tunnel, and it would be a huge project. I have been wondering: Guangzhou South isn't really located in the point of the HSR nearest to Guangzhou. Would it be possible to construct an underground "Foshan North" near Huangqi in Nanhai? That would be expensive, but probably less so than a whole new line. This hypothetical station could provide a connection between the HSR and the Guangzhou-Foshan railway, and the Guangzhou Metro line 5 could also be extended to this hub.

Overall, the trend on the Chinese high-speed rail network seems to be that the stations of the big cities are built far from the central area, and then get a metro connection. I'm not saying this is a bad solution in all cases, but Guangzhou is probably the most extreme example - nearly 30 kilometers away from the city.
Galactic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #587
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
A new railway line to central Guangzhou would likely have to be in a tunnel, and it would be a huge project. I have been wondering: Guangzhou South isn't really located in the point of the HSR nearest to Guangzhou. Would it be possible to construct an underground "Foshan North" near Huangqi in Nanhai? That would be expensive, but probably less so than a whole new line. This hypothetical station could provide a connection between the HSR and the Guangzhou-Foshan railway, and the Guangzhou Metro line 5 could also be extended to this hub.

Overall, the trend on the Chinese high-speed rail network seems to be that the stations of the big cities are built far from the central area, and then get a metro connection. I'm not saying this is a bad solution in all cases, but Guangzhou is probably the most extreme example - nearly 30 kilometers away from the city.
It's a bit annoying to save the time travelling from Futian, only to lose all those savings to the long metro ride into town. Guess Guangzhou South was not meant for Shenzhen - Guangzhou trippers. I'll still prefer the slower service to GZ East.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #588
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post

The idea I had in mind was a tunnel. I'm not sure if Line 2 is all tunnel to GZ South station but if they could build a similar tunnel from GZ South to "GZ Zhujiang" that would be great. The train doesn't even have to go that fast to reap the time savings vs. taking the metro. With the ambition Chinese are putting into their high speed rail network this looks very feasible. Also an underground station in Zhujaing New Town similar to the Futian station won't only help with travel to Shenzhen but also could be beneficial to people going to Zhuhai if officials extend the intercity train to the GZ Zhujiang station through GZ South. Funny to think that a line like this might also serve as a local route since it will be faster than taking line 2 and transferring to another to get to the center.

Again, just an idea I thought about. I wish this was somewhere in the government plans. If I could submit this proposal to the Chinese government I would.

Quote:
It's a bit annoying to save the time travelling from Futian, only to lose all those savings to the long metro ride into town. Guess Guangzhou South was not meant for Shenzhen - Guangzhou trippers. I'll still prefer the slower service to GZ East.
The metro is great but you're right about losing all the time traveling from a far out station.
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #589
DoubleU

Taken yesterday by me

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM   #590
DoubleU

Flyover opens

THE new Yitian Flyover on Shennan Boulevard opened Tuesday, after nearly two years of construction.
The 381-meter, two-way, six-lane flyover cost 90 million yuan (US$14 million) and has a steel structure. The old Yitian Flyover was demolished for construction of Futian Station on the Shenzhen-Hong Kong high-speed rail line.

Source: http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2012-...nt_2259276.htm
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #591
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Mai Po Ventilation Facility Work Site
Source : MTR

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #592
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Notice the cranes on the other side of the harbour :

image hosted on flickr

Where the Light Is by pamhule, on Flickr

Old November 25th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #593
hkskyline
Hong Kong

image hosted on flickr

Construction Site by Ville Nikula, on Flickr

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #594
FM 2258

Thank you DoubleU and hksyline. I love how both of these stations are pretty much in the heart of the city. The harbor picture is gorgeous!
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #595
Nyuszi
#1 Bunny

Likes (Received): 19

Hi Guys!

Could someone help a little Bunny out?

I'll be in HKG between 22.05.2013-30.05.2013. By that time what kind of train options will I have to get to Shanghai? I don't want to fly since I'd like to use the famous chinese HSR network. So I prefer CRH-s. Overnight is also good.
Nyuszi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #596
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuszi View Post
Hi Guys!

I'll be in HKG between 22.05.2013-30.05.2013. By that time what kind of train options will I have to get to Shanghai? I don't want to fly since I'd like to use the famous chinese HSR network. So I prefer CRH-s. Overnight is also good.
There is no CRH service between Hong Kong and Shanghai at the moment and there won't be during your visit.

The current service to Shanghai takes 18.5 hours : http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_ar...ity_index.html

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #597
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
There is no CRH service between Hong Kong and Shanghai at the moment and there won't be during your visit.
In which month shall Longhua-Xiamen high speed railway be opened?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #598
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuszi View Post
Hi Guys!

Take the MTR to the border, cross the border, get a metro to the HSR station in Shenzhen. From there, take a G-train to Wuhan. From there, take a D-train to Shanghai.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #599
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Take the MTR to the border, cross the border, get a metro to the HSR station in Shenzhen. From there, take a G-train to Wuhan. From there, take a D-train to Shanghai.
• G1012, Shenzhen North dep. 07:00, Wuhan arr. 11:50, ¥540
• D3004, Wuhan dep. 13:20, Shanghai Hongqiao arr. 19:34, ¥264
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:06 AM   #600
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
• G1012, Shenzhen North dep. 07:00, Wuhan arr. 11:50, ¥540
• D3004, Wuhan dep. 13:20, Shanghai Hongqiao arr. 19:34, ¥264
Great

Or alternatively he can take a G train from Shenzhen to Zhuzhou and from there take a D train to Shanghai
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote