daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #621
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Thanks for the latest updates DoubleU & hkskyline. There won't be much to see out the window but I can't wait to take the line from Hong Kong to Shenzhen(Futian). This small part of the line will open up so many opportunities due to the speed. I mentioned before that going from Kowloon to Shenzhen border felt like it took 40 minutes when I took it. Not really sure but it seemed like a long trip.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #622
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

This station is going to be crowded with mainland shoppers considering its proximity with Harbour City. I wonder if the customs will be inside the station, or do passengers clear immigration at the boarder? If the former I wonder if they can setup duty free shops inside the station much like in an airport.
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #623
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

I recall the plan is to have a unified immigration checkpoint on the Hong Kong side. The concept of duty-free is non-existent in Hong Kong since there is no sales tax to begin with. Everything in the city is technically duty-free.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #624
hkskyline
Hong Kong

3/24

image hosted on flickr

ICC SKY100 by tomosang R32m, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #625
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Why do mainland Chinese come to Hong Kong to shop? Don't all the big Chinese cities have every kind of luxury good for sale already?
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #626
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
Why do mainland Chinese come to Hong Kong to shop? Don't all the big Chinese cities have every kind of luxury good for sale already?
Zero taxes, better quality control, more variety of goods.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #627
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Zero taxes, better quality control, more variety of goods.
They also buy a LOT at Amsterdem Schiphol Airport, but I very much doubt prices there are lower than in China or Hong Kong. They don't seem to care about the price at all.

I'm also guessing it has to do with variety and a lot smaller chance that you accidently buy a fake. Perhaps it also has to do with status? Buying and bringing it home from abroad you can say "Look, I bought this Hermes bag all the way in *insert far away place*".

I also know for a fact that some people buy expensive watches and bags to bring in/out more money than is legally allowed, but I doubt that's the reason for most people.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM   #628
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
They also buy a LOT at Amsterdem Schiphol Airport, but I very much doubt prices there are lower than in China or Hong Kong. They don't seem to care about the price at all.

I'm also guessing it has to do with variety and a lot smaller chance that you accidently buy a fake. Perhaps it also has to do with status? Buying and bringing it home from abroad you can say "Look, I bought this Hermes bag all the way in *insert far away place*".

I also know for a fact that some people buy expensive watches and bags to bring in/out more money than is legally allowed, but I doubt that's the reason for most people.
China has a very high luxury goods tax so it is oftentimes cheaper to buy abroad, such as in Hong Kong or in Europe.

I personally had found a Prada wallet I liked to be 20% cheaper in Milan than in Hong Kong.

Old July 9th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #629
hkskyline
Hong Kong

5/30

image hosted on flickr

IMG_5198 by Ivan Lau, on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #630
hkskyline
Hong Kong

6/22

image hosted on flickr

2013.6.22 時光可變 世界可變... by bbda♥, on Flickr

Old July 13th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #631
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I personally had found a Prada wallet I liked to be 20% cheaper in Milan than in Hong Kong.
The most probable reason for that is that Prada is an Italian brand. I reckon it's cheaper to buy that brand in Italy compared to Hong Kong (i.e. no shipping fees for Italy->HK)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #632
DoubleU

Likes (Received): 413

Futian high-speed rail hub to open in 2014

Wang Yuanyuan
[email protected]
HIGH-SPEED trains at Shenzhen North Station are expected to extend to Futian Station by the end of next year.
Construction of the station’s infrastructure is completed and interior projects are going smoothly, said Li Xiaoyi, vice director of the city’s rail office.
Covering nearly 150,000 square meters, the three-story underground station is one of five stations on the high-speed railway between Guangzhou and West Kowloon in Hong Kong. When the Shenzhen- Hong Kong section opens in 2015, passengers will be able to take high-speed rail directly from the city’s central business district in Futian and get to West Kowloon Station in only 15 minutes, Li said.
It also will be the only underground train station in a central business district on the mainland.
The first floor, closest to the surface, will provide transfers to Metro trains and buses while the second and third floors will be train waiting areas and platforms, respectively.
“This will be the largest underground high-speed rail station in Asia, with four platforms and eight tracks,” Li said.
The station will intersect with Metro’s Shekou Line, Longgang Line and future Line 11. There will also be an underground passage so passengers can walk to Shopping Park Station and Convention and Exhibition Center Station to change to the Luobao and Longgang lines.
A 20,000-square-meter station will be built on Yitian Road for bus and taxi services.
“This will be very convenient for people traveling between Shenzhen and Hong Kong. I often go to Hong Kong on business, but the long journey takes me hours. I think many people, particularly businesspeople, will benefit from the station,” Shenzhen businesswoman Zhao Xinyu told Shenzhen Daily yesterday.
Many Hong Kong residents said the station would make their trips to Shenzhen much more convenient, as well.
“Every year when I go to my hometown in Zhaoqing during holidays, there are crowds at the checkpoint. It often takes me a whole day to travel. However, I can now get to Futian in only 15 minutes and transfer to a Metro train to Futian’s bus station. I think more Hong Kong people like me will choose this way to go back to their hometown,” said Hong Kong man Chris Lam.
Many people expect more Hong Kong residents to move to Shenzhen after the rail opens, because of lower home prices, but Lam said he doesn’t have such a plan.
“It would be much more convenient to travel, but I will still choose to live in Hong Kong. Although homes in Shenzhen are cheaper, other things in Shenzhen are more expensive,” Lam said.

Source: http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2013-...nt_2562036.htm
DoubleU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #633
hkskyline
Hong Kong

High-speed rail links help to bolster regional development
9 July 2013
South China Morning Post

Some people have argued that budget airlines are a better option than high-speed trains.

I agree that high-speed rail projects do not score well when considering profitability. But when it comes to transport infrastructure, you need to look at the wider perspective.

Governments endorse high-speed rail links because they seem to them to be a catalyst to regional development.

They offer a green option and help to reinvigorate deprived areas. Financial returns cannot be the prime concern as these projects are an investment nightmare. In most cases, capital costs cannot be fully recovered. Some even operate at a deficit, requiring government subsidies.

The High Speed 2 project in Britain is a good example. The amount it might make in ticket sales cannot recover the investment (construction and running costs). But the project will bring significant indirect benefits. They include the increase in land value, surge in employment, more taxation and other returns from a wealthier community. Bolstering regional development is the main purpose of building a high-speed railway.

Besides, express trains and budget airlines target different customer groups. The latter is aimed at budget or leisure travellers who are less concerned about comfort.

However, if given a choice, business travellers would opt for the high-speed rail link, because it allows them to work on the move. These trains will take them right to the centre of a city instead of an airport which may be located in a suburb or even further out of town.

The fierce opposition to the express rail link from Hong Kong to Guangzhou was more a reflection of the low vote of confidence in the government of Donald Tsang Yam-kuen which supported it, not to the idea of a railway.

Hong Kong's link to the country's high-speed rail network will be good for the city, given our important business ties to the mainland.

Perhaps the Hong Kong special administrative region government should give more regular and detailed updates of the cost of the project, as well as emphasise its economic benefits.

This will give Hong Kong citizens a clearer picture, and allow them to look at the pros and cons before they come to a conclusion for or against it. It is important for the administration to get public backing for this important infrastructure project.

I find it sad to see citizens opposing development proposals without understanding their true value.

Wilson Chan, Tin Shui Wai

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #634
hkskyline
Hong Kong

6/2

image hosted on flickr

Hong Kong - June 2013 (33) by stevekrans, on Flickr

Diego San, kyah117 liked this post
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #635
hmmwv

I didn't realize the duck is half the size of a harbor ferry.

FM 2258 liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #636
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tunnel workers end strike
The Standard
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A strike by 200 workers at Express Rail Link in Kwai Chung ended last night after nearly 14 hours when the contractor gave in to their demands.

The strike began at 7am yesterday against unreasonable pay deductions and working conditions, and was called off at 8.30pm after Leighton Contractors reached a consensus with the workers.

Leighton said the pay deductions would not be implemented, workers would no longer need to have their meals in the tunnel and they would be given a 30-minute break.

Workers agreed to resume work today.

The strike action was called after Leighton informed the workers, through a notice, that latecomers will have their salaries docked - half an hour's pay will be deducted for every five minutes of being late and one hour's pay will be deducted for 15 minutes of tardiness.

Workers were also required to have their lunch in the tunnel, where "the temperature reaches 40 degrees Celsius and the air quality is very poor," said Chow Kin-shing, one of the workers at the site.

"The contractor is treating us like dogs, which is worse than slaves," he added.

At first Leighton offered a pay rise of 5 to 10percent and canceled the late punishment, but workers had to remain in the tunnel for 12 hours.

They immediately rejected this.

Mak Tak-ching, organizing secretary of the Construction Site Workers General Union, said that Leighton agreed to the workers' demands.

A worker, Chin Man-fung, said an agreement was reached because the employer agreed to improve the air quality inside the Tse Uk Tsuen to Shek Yam tunnel section of the MTR project.

An MTR spokesman said the strike would not affect the progress of the project and it remains on track to be completed in 2015.

Meanwhile, the Labour Department said it is pleased that the strike has been resolved but will continue to follow the situation.

CP11 liked this post
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #637
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I would immediately reject those stipulations as well. Give them a pay raise and more breaks so more quality work could be done. Don't want a bunch of angry people working on a high profile project.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #638
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Having to remain in a tunnel for 12 hours straight... who came up with that brilliant idea?

Totally understandable they went on strike, and for very modest demands even.

FM 2258 liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #639
hmmwv

Requiring workers take lunch inside tunnel is completely unacceptable, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to get out of the tunnel. OTOH the pay deduction for tardiness is not unreasonable, shift work depends on people showing up on time, tardiness should be punished to ensure order at the work site.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #640
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Thats very cruel. Lunch inside a 40C tunnel. Plus no fresh air.

Got computing brains or extra bucks? Support this Green tech INDIEGOGO Project Paperless Receipts
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote