daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
STLgasm
Live from red brick mama

Likes (Received): 0

Baltimore subway photos?

The Baltimore subway may be the most overlooked heavy-rail system in the country. Can someone please provide some pics of the subway trains and stations? I remember riding it years ago and I thought it was great.

Thanks.
STLgasm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 5th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #2
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 762

Wow. I'm dry when it comes to the subway pics. Sorry, man.
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #3
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 762

Didn't hero have a photo tour of Baltimore's subway?
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #4
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 937

Not only is Baltimore's metro subway overlooked, it's also under photographed. I personally have never photographed it, but here are some photos that I pulled from flickr. Baltimore's subway has some neat artwork in some places.

The Crucifix at State Center station
image hosted on flickr

Another one of the Crucifx
image hosted on flickr

Shot Tower station
image hosted on flickr

Another one taken at Shot Tower station
image hosted on flickr

Not sure where this one is
image hosted on flickr

One final shot of something....?
image hosted on flickr

Sorry the photos aren't better, but flickr is full of "artsy" photographers. At least they're out photographing, I guess.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #5
modestproposal
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Sorry the photos aren't better, but flickr is full of "artsy" photographers. At least they're out photographing, I guess.
I know what you mean. I set up a second account for my construction photos because they felt out of place.
modestproposal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #6
PeterSmith

Baltimore is lucky to have a subway line at all, but the truth is that it is in a sorry state. It is not uncommon to hear long-time Baltimore residents say, "Baltimore has a subway?" Everyone knows about the light rail, and just about everyone has taken a ride on it at some point or another, but most Baltimore residents have never taken the subway, in my estimation.

I think much of this has to do with the fact that we openly distinguish between the two, as if they were two separate beasts (which they more or less are). After all, they aren't really connected, one is light rail while the other is heavy rail, and one is above ground while the other is underground (at least within city limits). I believe the metro subway gets nearly twice the daily ridership of the light rail (I could be way off on that though), yet the light rail is infinitely more popular and trusted.
If Baltimore's transit is ever going to function properly, the light rail needs to be placed underground through downtown and it needs to be properly connected to the metro, via the Red Line if necessary.
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #7
modestproposal
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I think much of this has to do with the fact that we openly distinguish between the two, as if they were two separate beasts (which they more or less are). After all, they aren't really connected, one is light rail while the other is heavy rail, and one is above ground while the other is underground (at least within city limits). I believe the metro subway gets nearly twice the daily ridership of the light rail (I could be way off on that though), yet the light rail is infinitely more popular and trusted.
If Baltimore's transit is ever going to function properly, the light rail needs to be placed underground through downtown and it needs to be properly connected to the metro, via the Red Line if necessary.
Washington really needs to learn this lesson before we install light rail. It just doesn't seem to integrate with heavy rail.
modestproposal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #8
PeterSmith

I think the two can be integrate well together, but like with anything it takes planning. I've ridden systems that had both light rail and heavy rail that worked very well together, and if I didn't know that one line was light and the others were heavy, I probably wouldn't have picked up on it. However, knowing that one line was light rail, I did notice that it was slightly slower and slightly more quiet than the heavy rail lines, but they still great together. The key was that they were both underground and they connected to each other as would any other line.

That said, knowing DC's officials and the way American transit systems are built, I don't trust DC with light rail. They should stick with heavy rail.
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #9
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 25

For an interesting overview of the Baltimore Metro go here....
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Baltimore_Metro.html
44,000 ride it daily so someone must know about it!
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Hood

Likes (Received): 23

If I lived in owings mills and worked downtown there is now way you could keep me off of the subway. But that is all it is, a commuter service, not a complete means of transportation.

I am getting excited about these elextric car that have been zipping around. I spoke with the owner of the company and he is looking into do a zip car type car sharing arrangement. It may not help with congestion, but it will help with parking.
Hood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #11
House3780

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
For an interesting overview of the Baltimore Metro go here....
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Baltimore_Metro.html
44,000 ride it daily so someone must know about it!
Light Rail has 30,000 riders a day.
House3780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #12
HarborSky
Urban Enthusiast

I actually took the Baltimore subway to Virgin Fest this weekend and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it was. I was expecting much worse. I've lived in Baltimore for almost 2 1/2 years and never had a reason to use it. It just doesn't go anywhere.

Who were the dopes that planned that line out?
HarborSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #13
House3780

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborSky View Post
I actually took the Baltimore subway to Virgin Fest this weekend and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it was. I was expecting much worse. I've lived in Baltimore for almost 2 1/2 years and never had a reason to use it. It just doesn't go anywhere.

Who were the dopes that planned that line out?
What stop did u take?? Rogers Station?? Is that closer than the mt washington light rail stop??

I think the line makes sense... If we had all the lines implemented it would make a lot more sense to you.. connecting all the hotspots of the beltway where most of the countys population lies.. owings mills, towson, hunt valley (now connected by light rail), white marsh... u have to figure at the time the line was built white marsh and hunt valley werent as sprawling as they are now.

http://www.baltimoreregiontransitpla...and_legend.pdf

I think its a pretty comprehensive plan once fully built.

Last edited by House3780; August 7th, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
House3780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #14
chromebowler

Likes (Received): 4

House3780:

Where did you find that map? To my knowledge, any expansion of the public transit here in Baltimore was a pipe dream, but it they are really planning on implementing that, yes, I agree, it would be fantastic. Considered now, however, the two lines that cross but do not connect are horrible considered by themselves.
chromebowler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #15
Orange Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromebowler View Post
House3780:

Where did you find that map? To my knowledge, any expansion of the public transit here in Baltimore was a pipe dream, but it they are really planning on implementing that, yes, I agree, it would be fantastic. Considered now, however, the two lines that cross but do not connect are horrible considered by themselves.
That's from the 2002 Baltimore Regional Transit Plan.

That's a BIG if in terms of whether or not they're planning on implementing it. Since before O'Malley came into office, the state has lavished most of its attention on the Red Line, while not really paying much attention to the others. I don't want to be pessimistic, but it seems unlikely that they'll be even seriously studying anything except the Red Line for the forseeable future. The BMC recently came out with a report outlining the region's transportation agenda for the next 30 years and the only line from that map even mentioned is the Red Line.

We're discussing it in this thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=484792&page=3

BMC Report:

http://www.baltometro.org/T2035/T2035draft.pdf

Info on the dopes who designed the system to begin with:

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/BRRTS.html
Orange Crush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #16
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 279

I had no idea it was so disconnected. From the picture, they look great.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #17
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 5

the only time I've seen the Baltimore subway is in the movie "No Way Out". It was supposed to be the DC subway system, but he WMATA would not let them film there.
yamota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #18
luisgarciadelarosa
BANNED

Good photos
luisgarciadelarosa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #19
jdooz121
3Pac

I'm going to take some pictures of it soon.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #20
dtzeigler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
If I lived in owings mills and worked downtown there is now way you could keep me off of the subway. But that is all it is, a commuter service, not a complete means of transportation.

I am getting excited about these elextric car that have been zipping around. I spoke with the owner of the company and he is looking into do a zip car type car sharing arrangement. It may not help with congestion, but it will help with parking.
See this is my problem with the metro...it runs only on one side of town. If you live east of Falls Road, you're not even thinking about taking the metro, and if you live on the eastside then the metro is utterly useless.

I know a lot of people that live on the westside of Baltimore county that use the metro though