daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old August 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #81
MDguy
Balto

mas de flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3901754...7622172332852/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sponsored Links

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM   #82
Coldspring

Likes (Received): 17

The escalator shot looks like a stairway to heaven out of the darkness.. The Bmo metro looks like a clean modern version of the old grimy movie 'The Warriors' where they had some cool shots of the grimy and desolate NYC subway back in the 70s...."WARRRIORS comeout to PLAYAHAAAAH" Makes me want to run and hop the turnstile and dash on to a train like back in the old school.. can you dig it

Last edited by Coldspring; August 31st, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #83
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 377

our subway system stations need more artwork...
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #84
Exrexnotex

Likes (Received): 0

... and riders.
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #85
STLgasm
Live from red brick mama

TOTALLY '80s! Look at those oval signs! Straight outta 1984.
STLgasm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #86
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 377

truly.......lol
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #87
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 404

Yeah more artwork and riders would both be nice.
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #88
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 6

I was walking around Baltimore with a friend and her bf who has lived in Baltimore for 3 years.

I saw one of the blue wayfinding signs and said "oh look the metro is one block that way, mind if we stop by so I can take some pics? have you ever ridden it btw?'

His answer: "Ive taken the light rail a few times"
Me: "Not the light rail the metro"
Him: blank stare
Me: "The subway?"
Him: "Theres a subway?"

Me thinks they need a marketing campaign.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #89
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Dang. That is sad.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #90
oneworld25

Likes (Received): 1

It's real interesting. Everybody knows about the light rail. But nobody knows about the subway. Yet the subway gets way more ridership (50,900) than the light rail (36,400) even though the light rail is twice as long. I guess the reason most people don't know about the subway is because the light rail goes to more touristy areas.

Ridership stats found at http://apta.com/resources/statistics...rship_APTA.pdf
oneworld25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #91
arashmordad
Thread Saver

Likes (Received): 5

I lived (grew up) in Baltimore County for 13 years and have never ridden the Baltimore metro or light rail, from what I remember. From the pics, I think the Balt. Metro stations look nicer than the ones in DC.

Iranian Guys & Girls
Learn Persian (Farsi)
Iran..WOW
arashmordad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #92
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Yeah probably alot less people are using them. More people riding/using the rail lines= more probablity for the Stations to be worn and torn up or graffiti.
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #93
BtcoNet
NOT Enslaved to the Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
It's real interesting. Everybody knows about the light rail. But nobody knows about the subway. Yet the subway gets way more ridership (50,900) than the light rail (36,400) even though the light rail is twice as long. I guess the reason most people don't know about the subway is because the light rail goes to more touristy areas.

Ridership stats found at http://apta.com/resources/statistics...rship_APTA.pdf
No serious surprise. People tend to make a false assumption that if a transit line is not going to somewhere "premier," then it is not worth having.

The most successful rail transit projects are those that best mimic/improve the corridors where existing bus ridership is the heaviest. The Metro was built to replace the long-haul ridership on the 5, 7, and 28 bus lines, and has been successful in retaining stable ridership on this corridor with over 50K riding daily.

The longer light rail line, as mentioned only averages over 36K riding daily, despite serving the Convention Center, two stadiums, the region's airport, an Amtrak station, and the Fairgrounds. When one considers that only a couple of these places listed will generate "daily type" ridership (Penn Station, and the employees at BWI), and that the buses the line replaces were never the most significant hauling in the system, it makes sense that LR's numbers are measurably less than Metro.

I'm not so sure there needs to be any big marketing campaign to promote Metro's visibility, as it tends to be one of those things that you know about or readily find out about if and when you wish to travel where it goes. If you never have a purpose to head to Mondawmin, Reisterstown Plaza, or Owings Mills, knowing that the Subway exists won't yield it any new ridership. And, yes, it does carry standing loads in rush hour.
BtcoNet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #94
micrip

Likes (Received): 117

I wonder what the average LR ridership would be if trips related to the O's and Ravens were factored out? I bet they would not want us to know. And of course the numbers reflect tickets sold, right? I wonder what the count is on people without tickets? I bet there are a lot.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #95
Gsol

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtcoNet View Post
No serious surprise. People tend to make a false assumption that if a transit line is not going to somewhere "premier," then it is not worth having.

The most successful rail transit projects are those that best mimic/improve the corridors where existing bus ridership is the heaviest. The Metro was built to replace the long-haul ridership on the 5, 7, and 28 bus lines, and has been successful in retaining stable ridership on this corridor with over 50K riding daily.

The longer light rail line, as mentioned only averages over 36K riding daily, despite serving the Convention Center, two stadiums, the region's airport, an Amtrak station, and the Fairgrounds. When one considers that only a couple of these places listed will generate "daily type" ridership (Penn Station, and the employees at BWI), and that the buses the line replaces were never the most significant hauling in the system, it makes sense that LR's numbers are measurably less than Metro.

I'm not so sure there needs to be any big marketing campaign to promote Metro's visibility, as it tends to be one of those things that you know about or readily find out about if and when you wish to travel where it goes. If you never have a purpose to head to Mondawmin, Reisterstown Plaza, or Owings Mills, knowing that the Subway exists won't yield it any new ridership. And, yes, it does carry standing loads in rush hour.
The major problem with the LR is its very snail-like progression along Howard Street. It should be given traffic light priority over auto traffic. These trains move quite fast through the streets of European cities. But Balt. is conflicted over mass transit vs automobile traffic. Planners worry deeply about offending auto drivers, then want to build rail lines to lure people out of their cars. They still build highways (ICC & Beltway lane expansion) and worry about parking for major projects, even downtown. Then go "hat-in-hand" to Annapolis and Washington for mass transit funding. Many western US cities are starting to move toward mass transit - Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Denver. Baltimore is still stuck on the auto.
Gsol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #96
Dr. Remington

a few weeks ago i had to pay some parking fines at the municipal building downtown, then i hopped on the metro subway to the MVA administration at mondawmin mall to get my tags updated... wow it's been 10 years since i had any use for the subway line, but i must say it was a pleasant ride, the stations are very clean and well-lit, and what could have been a 15 minute ride by car only took 5 min. by subway
Dr. Remington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #97
scando

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I wonder what the average LR ridership would be if trips related to the O's and Ravens were factored out? I bet they would not want us to know. And of course the numbers reflect tickets sold, right? I wonder what the count is on people without tickets? I bet there are a lot.
An accurate count would be hard. Most people who ride have passes of various kinds (monthly passes, employer passes, school passes, tickets bought somewhere else on MTA) so few tickets are bought directly from LR machines. I'm a daily rider and have noticed that bodies on the trains are increasing. I get on a somewhat crowded train at 6:30 AM; I used to get lonely on the same train. I guess the best measure of ticket honesty would be when the fare inspectors get on. Usually a few people jump off (generally teen males), but 99% of the riders keep their seats and display something that satisfies the enforcers.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #98
Coldspring

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
An accurate count would be hard. Most people who ride have passes of various kinds (monthly passes, employer passes, school passes, tickets bought somewhere else on MTA) so few tickets are bought directly from LR machines. I'm a daily rider and have noticed that bodies on the trains are increasing. I get on a somewhat crowded train at 6:30 AM; I used to get lonely on the same train. I guess the best measure of ticket honesty would be when the fare inspectors get on. Usually a few people jump off (generally teen males), but 99% of the riders keep their seats and display something that satisfies the enforcers.
Three years ago was my first experience with "the jump out" when several MTA Police and fare collectors stormed the train late one evening at North Ave. The train was empty except for about six chatting teens, a guy who looked homeless, sleep under a newspaper.. and a few late commuters like myself. As the train rounded the bend under 83 going north towards north ave.. the relative calm was broken with "HEY YO... FIVE O" As the train pulled in teens were scampering out every door.. the MTA Police lined up along the platform gave pursuit after a couple while the others boarded the train. Must have been a big deal because the MTA Police Van was at the top of the hill presumably to take the offenders bailed off. As I turned around to see if my fellow sleeping homeless guy was awakened.. to my amazement his seat was vacant....I guess he scampered out with the young bucks.....I was brought back to reality by a gruff voiced imposing figure staring down at me and declaring ........"FARE INSPECTION"
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #99
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
Thats whats kinda bizarre about some of these projects.. seems like they would have obtained the ROW of atleast were certain that they could complete the project before they started? This project and I-70 highway to no where seemed to have gotten started and then halted by public opposition? Seems like a lot of fragmented and incomplete highway projects around...
The ROW was in general acquired. In I-70's case it was to route through Leakin Park, so the land was already govt. owned. They did not finish ROW aquistion between Leakin and the below ground freeway (old I-170). It was stopped by a combination of public outcry and vastly increased expense. The expense became much greater as the state would of had to of paid for the park stretch itself as the Feds refused to pay there matching share if parkland was to be used (This became quite common in the 70's and resulted in many ghost roads in several cities).

You can see where the ROW was acquired for 83 on the east side, cleared and then when the road wasn't built sold back to developers. Hence all the newer housing lining Boston St.
Maudibjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #100
maryjoanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Not only is Baltimore's metro subway overlooked, it's also under photographed. I personally have never photographed it, but here are some photos that I pulled from flickr. Baltimore's subway has some neat artwork in some places.

The Crucifix at State Center station
image hosted on flickr

Another one of the Crucifx
image hosted on flickr

Shot Tower station
image hosted on flickr

Another one taken at Shot Tower station
image hosted on flickr

Not sure where this one is
image hosted on flickr

One final shot of something....?
image hosted on flickr

Sorry the photos aren't better, but flickr is full of "artsy" photographers. At least they're out photographing, I guess.
I never realized how beautiful our cities are...i have no time to look at them.
maryjoanna no está en línea   Reply With Quote