daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Default
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Wallaroo

Likes (Received): 1

-----------

Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Wallaroo; August 4th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Wallaroo

DENMARK | Railways

I strongly believe that Denmark has the worst railway system in Western Europe, both when it comes to the infrastructure and the national railways (DSB).

There has not been build a single new intercity railway line in this country since the 19th century, which means that all intercity trains runs in the old trace with a lot of sharp curves (not suitable for high speeds) and through all kinds of small towns where they don't stop anymore. As if that wasn't enough, most of the railroad tracks on the intercity lines are in a very bad shape. This means that there are a lot of delays (almost 10% of DSBs trains) and that they need to reduce speed from a maximum of 180 km/h to only 120 km/h. Last but not least, the signalling is for the most part completely outdated with various old systems that doesn't work together.

The black/red is the main intercity lines in the country.

This is the maximum allowed speeds, but they have been temporary reduced to 120 km/h due to poor tracks.

Only 446 km are electrified. What a joke!

A typical danish train on a typical danish railway. Poor old tracks and outdated signalling. Sharp curves and low speeds.

Last edited by Wallaroo; August 4th, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

^That has to be the ugliest train i've ever seen. Don't know what to say about Danish railways though. The system could and should be better for such a rich country, I think.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #4
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

In the Netherlands, speeds are also rarely over 120 - 140km/h, so it's not that bad. Distances are short in Denmark, so 120 or 180 doesn't make THAT much difference.

But thats very few electrified! I thought the main N-S line on Jutland should be electrified, but it turns out that it isn't. I also thought the line Rodby - Kobenhavn was electrified. At least all intercity lines should be electrified..

But, is the Danish railroad important for Denmark? I mean, why put large amounts of money in it, while nobody uses it?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
In the Netherlands, speeds are also rarely over 120 - 140km/h, so it's not that bad. Distances are short in Denmark, so 120 or 180 doesn't make THAT much difference.

But thats very few electrified! I thought the main N-S line on Jutland should be electrified, but it turns out that it isn't. I also thought the line Rodby - Kobenhavn was electrified. At least all intercity lines should be electrified..

But, is the Danish railroad important for Denmark? I mean, why put large amounts of money in it, while nobody uses it?
But then you have to ask: Maybe the low amount of passengers is caused by the bad condition of the railways system?
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #6
freeluas

Iceland

Iceland must be worse, no trains at all.
freeluas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #7
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I lived in CPH for quite a while, and the trains were always quite good.

The UK probably has the worst system in Western Europe, even if they don't consider themselves European.
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
The UK probably has the worst system in Western Europe.
Amen!

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Ning

Likes (Received): 7

Ireland/UK has the worst
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I also thought the line Rodby - Kobenhavn was electrified.
It will be electrified with the construction of the Fehmarn Belt bridge.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #11
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I lived in CPH for quite a while, and the trains were always quite good.

The UK probably has the worst system in Western Europe, even if they don't consider themselves European.
The UK has one of the biggest systems, speeds are going up, frequency is going up too, and a lot money is being invested. More and more old trains are being replaced, too. The UK system in the late 80s / early 90s must've been one of the worst, though.
Ireland, for example, is way worse. Norway is not particularly good either. Finnish railways aren't all that either... just to give a few examples.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
The UK has one of the biggest systems, speeds are going up, frequency is going up too, and a lot money is being invested. More and more old trains are being replaced, too. The UK system in the late 80s / early 90s must've been one of the worst, though.
Ireland, for example, is way worse. Norway is not particularly good either. Finnish railways aren't all that either... just to give a few examples.
What's wrong with Finnish railways?
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #13
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
^That has to be the ugliest train i've ever seen.
But they are very comfortable. Had a pleasant trip with such a train.

Regarding the danish network: Basicly three electrified tracks are sufficient for Denmark. West-East-connection Esbjerg-Kolding-Fredericia-Odense-Copenhagen, south-north connection Padborg-Abenra-Kolding-Veijle-Arhus-Aalborg-Skagen and Copenhagen-Rodbyhavn (-Fehmarnbeltbridge-Lübeck-Hamburg). The rest is too sparsely populated.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #14
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
What's wrong with Finnish railways?
There's not much of it, and it's not very frequent. Nothing wrong with the trains, though.
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #15
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
A typical danish train on a typical danish railway. Poor old tracks and outdated signalling. Sharp curves and low speeds.
Track seems to be in very good shape. Train, while ugly, still looks quite new. Can't comment about signaling, but it's at least not mechanical as some railways in W Europe (and not only sidings). So I wouldn't groan about that picture. It's not TGV however ...
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #16
Conrad

Likes (Received): 3

Yes, I've always wondered how a country like Denmark can have such a bad railway network.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Swedish raillines.

Quote:
There's not much of it, and it's not very frequent. Nothing wrong with the trains, though.
hmm.. not much?

I think this is more than enough for a geographically large country with a population of 5million:
(green = passenger&-freight-traffic)

and as far as i recall that map is even outdated.

the length of the finnish railway network is 5,740 kilometer. 2,620 kilometer of that is electrified.
Conrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #17
sweek

t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Yes, I've always wondered how a country like Denmark can have such a bad railway network.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Swedish raillines.

hmm.. not much?

I think this is more than enough for a geographically large country with a population of 5million:
(green = passenger&-freight-traffic)

and as far as i recall that map is even outdated.

the length of the finnish railway network is 5,740 kilometer. 2,620 kilometer of that is electrified.
Well, 93% of that is single track lines, according to this source. And again, frequencies didn't seem very high when I was there.

Last edited by sweek; August 6th, 2007 at 12:47 AM.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #18
virgule82

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
t
Well, 93% of that is single track lines, according to this source. And again, frequencies didn't seem very high when I was there.
Don't know about the frequencies, but double track lines don't always make sense. In sparsely populated countries like Finland, Norway etc, there's rarely enough traffic to fill up the capacity of even single track lines, except around major cities. If there are enough crossings, single track lines can be (almost) as good enough as double track lines and make a lot more economic sense a lot of places.
virgule82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #19
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

I think the UK has the worst. (Privatisation of public transports sucks big time) They really need to get in more investments there.
Considering Denmark: Ive only used trains once there.
It was ok, however when we went back to Germany with the night train they used a Diesel locomotive on the danish tracks.
The exhausts came into the cabin which was very annoying.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #20
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
I strongly believe that Denmark has the worst railway system in Western Europe, both when it comes to the infrastructure and the national railways (DSB).
Good for you... however you are forgetting that we don't have a national rail line.. it's all privatised!

You also mention that there haven't been build any intercity railway line in this country since the 19th century,, then how exactly do one get to Malmø? Or Funen from Zealand?

But yes there haven't been any completely new lines build as we already have the country covered - where would you build it?

You also forget to mention the HUGE exhanging of old track currently beng done... ( why there are the delays and the current temp. speedlimit )

But hey feel and write as you like...

As for it being the worst in Western Europe I guess you don't travel much... while the top speed IS low the quality is way above just about everywhere I've used train in Europe.. inc. places like Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany...

Last edited by FREKI; August 6th, 2007 at 11:21 PM.
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
denmark, trains