daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Default
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #341
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
Some big´ish news today, only in danish but i will sum it up.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...port-plan.html
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #342
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Roughly 30 miles of High-speed rail anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khl.com
Plans for €1.3 billion Danish high-speed rail announced

Denmark's national rail authority Banedanmark plans to build the country's first high-speed railway between the capital, Copenhagen, and the municipality of Ringsted in the south, via Køge. Budgeted to cost €1.3 billion, the 56km new line will handle passenger trains running up to 250km/h (155mph) once construction is complete in 2018.

The existing line that runs from Copenhagen to Ringsted via Roskilde is one of Denmark's busiest routes. It is used by commuters between Copenhagen and the rest of the island of Zealand, as well as for nationwide and international passenger and freight traffic.
Story continues Here
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #343
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3606

Yes they will start next year with the first construction works.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #344
Never give up

Likes (Received): 7553

[QUOTE=IanCleverly;89277040]Roughly 30 miles of High-speed rail anyone?

30 miles is a long stretch in a little country like Denmark, but as you well know in England, it is the first strech that is the most difficult to get built (HS1)

Once that is built then everyone wants more, hopefully also in Denmark.

[IMG]http://i42.************/bjed8w.jpg[/IMG]
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #345
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Sure, but the shrug of the shoulders was understand why they decided to go for that route, rather than, say a dedicated line that linked Copenhagen and Odense?
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #346
bongo-anders

The line has 3 purposes.

Relieve the existing railline between Copenhagen and Ringsted.

Getting the travel time between Copenhagen and Odense to under 1 hour.

Feeding the new Fehmarn tunnel with freight trains from the Öresund fixed link.

And the certain route is also decided because it follows the freeway (holbæk, Køge Bugt and Vestmotorvejen) all the way out from Copenhagen so less opposition from locals by doing it this way.
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #347
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

There are relatively well developed plans for a continuation of the line - not to Odense, but through a southern branch toward the Fehmarn Tunnel to Germany. The Danes might even had been pursuing this second phase already, but for the fact that the Germans are not willing to invest big sums on their side of the crossing. (Their priority is east-west rather than north-south and, anyway, they are less enamoured of glitzy grand projects than most of their neighbours.) The Danes would feel a bit silly building a HS track only to have the trains slow to 100+ km/h in Holstein. So, they're just quietly preparing a second phase.

Finally, at first this new "high speed" line will only be permitted for speeds up to 200 km/h. To raise this, later, to 250 km/h only very moderate upgradings will be needed. I suspect that the main reason for this piecemeal approach is political: open access to railway tracks is the (European Union's) order of the day. The Swedes and the Germans have trains doing 250 km/h, whereas the Danes do not yet have such trains.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #348
bongo-anders

Apparently the tracks will need more maintenance when build for 250 but as long the trains don´t go more than 200 the extra cost isn't necessary.

The tracks only need to be adjusted (in the corners i presume) so it can be done very easy if needed.
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #349
Alseimik

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
Apparently the tracks will need more maintenance when build for 250 but as long the trains don´t go more than 200 the extra cost isn't necessary.

The tracks only need to be adjusted (in the corners i presume) so it can be done very easy if needed.
I don't thinck it's that. Adjusting the corners would be a rather big maintance, especially when it would be some much easier and cheaper, to just lay the tracks prepared for 250 km/h.

I heard that it's the signaling and safety system, which would need a smaller, and simple(!), upgrade. Rumours go, that this is on purpose, so that no company, will be able to offer faster service, than DSB, who's fleet doesn't have units which can go more than 200 km/h.
Alseimik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #350
bongo-anders

I read it somewhere but maybe the news article was not specific enough.
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #351
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alseimik View Post
I don't thinck it's that. Adjusting the corners would be a rather big maintance, especially when it would be some much easier and cheaper, to just lay the tracks prepared for 250 km/h.

I heard that it's the signaling and safety system, which would need a smaller, and simple(!), upgrade. Rumours go, that this is on purpose, so that no company, will be able to offer faster service, than DSB, who's fleet doesn't have units which can go more than 200 km/h.
Now it´s not DSB who decide that anymore but the track authorities, Banedanmark.
I think the adjustments for 250 km/h running is more in the line of adjusting the cant of the track (height of the outer rail in curves) and the tension of the overhead wires.
The general geometry of the track and signalling is designed for higher speeds from the start.
The station at Køge North is no problem as the platforms are on the side tracks allowing high speeds on the through lines.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #352
bongo-anders

It was that i tried to tell before but my English skills are not so good. :-D
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #353
Never give up

From this article in Ingeniøren, it appears that the remaining 6 class EA electric locomotives are to make a come back in Denmark as a result of the decision to electrify the line to Esbjerg by 2015. They will be used to haul double-deck coaches material on the Sjælland regional services, thereby releasing IR4 electric multible units for the Copenhagen - Esbjerg service.

At the moment the 6 locomotives are stationed/stored at the Central workshops and are only used regularily for the one daily return trip from Padborg to Copenhagen with the international night train and occasional freight services.

They were originally purchased in 1984 from Henschel, when the line from Copenhagen to Helsingør was electrified.

http://ing.dk/artikel/128340-gamle-u...iceringskabale

[IMG]http://i42.************/33nhhko.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Never give up; April 13th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #354
NiGhtPiSH
Sofia Hardcore

Likes (Received): 760

Most of the EAs are in Bulgaria and there are a couple in Romania. They are used exclusively for freight. They are pretty nice locomotives, although they are nearly 30 years old.
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #355
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

As I am reading some major rail investments going on in Denmark. I guess in another 5-7 years the country won't be such an outlier in Western Europe anymore.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...D#.T93uUJj4IzQ

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...ext-month.html

Someone more familiar with Danish geography can perhaps explain why this particular line was chosen as the first one to be electrified. Esbjerg seems to be a rather small town and this line doesn't go further to Germany. Why wasn't the line to Aarhus prioritized?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #356
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
As I am reading some major rail investments going on in Denmark. I guess in another 5-7 years the country won't be such an outlier in Western Europe anymore.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...D#.T93uUJj4IzQ

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...ext-month.html

Someone more familiar with Danish geography can perhaps explain why this particular line was chosen as the first one to be electrified. Esbjerg seems to be a rather small town and this line doesn't go further to Germany. Why wasn't the line to Aarhus prioritized?
Well, for starters, most of the line to Esbjerg is already electrified. You don't need THAT big an investment to electrify the last part from Lunderskov to Esbjerg.

The diesel trainsets to Esbjerg usually runs coupled with EMU trainsets bound for Odense/Sønderborg/Flensburg.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #357
milipumba

Likes (Received): 467

And then the signals are already protected against the current from the power lines.
The rest of the main lines signals will not be protected against the current to when they are switched to ERTMS-2 in year 2021.

All Danish main lines will have their signals changed to ertms2 this year 2021. And it is planned that the railway authorities will set up the power cables, while they are replacing the signals.
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #358
bongo-anders

And me must not forget the electricification of the line Between Ringsted and the Fehmarn Tunnel to Germany that we btw will beat tonight
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM   #359
bongo-anders

IC4 is now allowed to run with passengers again after several months of test runs to find the reason of the near accident from last year.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/article1785327.ece
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM   #360
bongo-anders

New informations has emerged, its only 37 upgrade train sets that has given the OK and they will be used as commuter trains (Regionaltog in danish) to start with.

Tags
denmark, trains