daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Default
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM   #401
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

Yes a new bridge with double track that can handle speeds of 200 km/h will be build, that one will cost 3,9 billion DKK.

Today it takes 4:32 hours between Copenhagen and Hamburg via Fehmarn and 5:46 hours via Flensburg

Via Fehmarn it will take closer to 3 hours and via Flensburg probably between 5:15-5:30 hours because there will be no upgrades in southern Jutland.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #402
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Looking at the Danish railway map I realized that almost all bigger towns in Denmark are facing Danish straights and hardly any the North sea. I assume there is a reason for it. Less safe in the past? Better fishing on the other side perhaps? Unstable coastline or too many storms?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #403
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Looking at the Danish railway map I realized that almost all bigger towns in Denmark are facing Danish straights and hardly any the North sea. I assume there is a reason for it. Less safe in the past? Better fishing on the other side perhaps? Unstable coastline or too many storms?
The countryside is also relatively sparsely settled. Sandy, infertile land, poor heath pastures and forests. Also the coast is poor of harbours - sandy shores, what inlets exist are shallow and opened to storms at mouth. The few bigger towns on that coast include Ribe and Esbjerg.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #404
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
If we took a trip from Denmarks 2 largest cities in the near future it looks like this.

Copenhagen - Ringsted 250 km/h
Ringsted - Odense 200 km/h
Odense - Middelfart 250 km/h
Middelfart - Hovedgård 200+ km/h (including a bypass of Vejle)
Hovedgård - Aarhus 250 km/h

That is way better than Sweden In 1990.
Way better than Sweden in 2013 too.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #405
bongo-anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
As of 2021, what shall be the trip times Copenhagen-Hamburg via Flensburg and Fehmarn respectively?
Via Fehmarn it will be very close to 3 hours, cutting almost 1,5 hour of the trip.

Via Flensburg I'm guessing that somewhere between 20-30 minutes shorter.

The time gained from Copenhagen to Odense is 15 minutes, Odense Middelfart probably 5-10 minutes.

And soon they build the remaining double tracks towards the German border and that will probably also save some time because the trains don't have to wait on each others at the crossing stations in Vamdrup and Vojens.

I don't know if the Germans have something lined up between Hamburg, Rendsburg and Flensburg but I don't think they have.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #406
bongo-anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
The older danish tows was locatedin the fjords or in small rivers we got (Ribe) so it has most likely something to do with projection from the weather because its easier to build a harbour in the tributaries of the fjords.

The North Sea storms (Vesterhavs storm) can be very rough and so it's mostly fishermens who are living on the west coast.

larger commercial ports like Hirtshals and Hanstholm was just fishing harbours in the past but now they have lots of shipping industry and ferry lines to Norway, Faroe Islands and Iceland.

A city like Esbjerg is only build in modern times when construction methods allowed them to build a harbour, Esbjerg was very important in the trading between Great Britain and Denmark but its mostly know for the gas and oil industry today.

But it still got ferrys to Immingham and Harwich in England.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #407
bongo-anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otazabi View Post
Denmark's railways can be much better, I don't know why the reason the railway lines are almost non-electrified, apart from the S-Tog in Copenhagen.
That's not true, the main lines are electrified from Helsingør north of Copenhagen until Fredericia and the German border and Sønderborg.

Then of course also the metro is electrified.

Next up are Lunderskov Esbjerg in 2015 and Sydbanen (Ringsted - Fehmarn Tunnel) and Lille Syd (Køge Nord - Næstved) in 2019 and the rest will follow in the years to come.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #408
Never give up

Likes (Received): 7493

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
That's not true, the main lines are electrified from Helsingør north of Copenhagen until Fredericia and the German border and Sønderborg.

Then of course also the metro is electrified.

Next up are Lunderskov Esbjerg in 2015 and Sydbanen (Ringsted - Fehmarn Tunnel) and Lille Syd (Køge Nord - Næstved) in 2019 and the rest will follow in the years to come.
Otazabi: See the map on post 382.

As regards the future of the IC4 train sets the minister of transport Henrik Dam Kristensen says:

“I do not wish to define a pension plan for the IC4 train sets but the future of the railways in Denmark is not dependent on whether DSB succeeds in getting the IC4 train to run reliably. Time will tell what role of the IC4 sets will play in the future”

At the moment the IC4 sets run as single units on the regional lines from Aarhus to Esbjerg, Aarhus to Aalborg and a couple of limited-stop services between Aarhus and Copenhagen Airport.
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #409
metacatfry

Likes (Received): 22

It's a good development. Finally, after all those decades of discussions those meandering old old rail trails will be straightened out.
I'm disappointed though that it seems nothing will be straightened out between Aarhus and Randers, which is surely one of the worse offenders among Danish rail lines in this regard.
metacatfry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #410
bongo-anders

There are also plans for that area and since they opted for only 160 Km/h between Hobro and Aalborg and not 200 km/h they have to get the extra time savings betweeb Hobro and Aarhus.
The current vmax on the line is 120 km/h because of old signaling and sharp curves so 160 km/h will do good but 200 km/h would have been better.

The reduction is 15 minutes with 160 km/h and 17 minutes with 200 km/h so a train that only stops in Randers on the way from Aalborg to Aarhus will use between between 1 hour and 3 to 5 minutes depending on solution. (the report says aprox 1 hour and 4 to 6 but it doesn´t add up with the saved time)

Today it will be done in 1 hours and 21 minutes.

So in reality they just have to get 6 minutes or so on the old line between Hobro and Aarhus but if they want to have the regular intercity trains under 1 hour as well they need to find 13 minutes more and therefore the 2 extra minutes would have been nice.

I have heard of plans of a new line bypassing central Randers with a TGV style station out by the motorway instead.

I´m thinking that when the trains get out of brabrand and reach the E45 motorway west of Brabrand it will follow that motorway until north of Randers.

But the first report with all the details will come in the fall and then we will se where the new lines will be build and where exactly the bridge over Vejle Fjord will be located.

A dream scenario will be a project like Citytunneln in Malmö in Sweden.

A tunnel could start between Europaplads and Skolebakken stations located near Aarhus H it then follows Randersvej until a tunnel portal and station located very close to the new Skejby Hospital.

From here there will be around 4 kilometres to the E45 motorway.

It will be around 5,5 kilometres long and could include some stations in the tunnel.

http://map.krak.dk/m/nqRsI

Last edited by bongo-anders; March 4th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #411
metacatfry

I will be very interested in seeing the actual details of track siting. I thought it sounded like these details had already been worked out but this is still only a broad political agreement then with much technical design work still to be done?
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #412
bongo-anders

I think yes, but it should be ready this fall so i don´t think that they just put up the numbers.

I got these informations but only in Danish.

http://www.bane.dk/visBanearbejde.asp?artikelID=10711

http://www.bane.dk/visBanearbejde.asp?artikelID=15234

http://www.bane.dk/visModulbeholder.asp?artikelID=17731

This one in English

http://www.bane.dk/visBanearbejde.asp?artikelID=17732
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #413
metacatfry

Ok, so there's hope. I think one hour between Aarhus-Aalborg is unambitious, it is only about 100 km, but it fits well with the overall rah-rah PR of 'one hour between each major city'. If the stretch Aarhus-Hobro gets a major revitalization nothing stops a faster connection.
(And I'm danish so thanks for the links).
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #414
bongo-anders

Here is a map of the speed upgrades i talked about earlier.

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #415
Otazabi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never give up View Post
Otazabi: See the map on post 382.

As regards the future of the IC4 train sets the minister of transport Henrik Dam Kristensen says:

“I do not wish to define a pension plan for the IC4 train sets but the future of the railways in Denmark is not dependent on whether DSB succeeds in getting the IC4 train to run reliably. Time will tell what role of the IC4 sets will play in the future”

At the moment the IC4 sets run as single units on the regional lines from Aarhus to Esbjerg, Aarhus to Aalborg and a couple of limited-stop services between Aarhus and Copenhagen Airport.
I've already saw it, thanks
Otazabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:18 PM   #416
bongo-anders

More news about the railways.

The decision to build the Ringsted - Fehmarn line to 200 km/h is finally in.

It includes two new flyovers south of Ringsted so trains going toward Storebælt and Fehmarn can run uninterupted.

The new bridge over Storstrømmen is going into the planning fase (enviromental studies and so on)

The Bridge leading up to Storstrømsbroen at Madsnedsund is being replaced instead of rebuild so it also can handle 200 km/h trains.

Also a new rail connection to the port of Esbjerg is also decided.

http://www.trm.dk/da/publikationer/2...tale+21+marts/
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #417
bongo-anders

Branch line to Aalborg airport

Flyovers near Ringsted Station

Speed upgrades between Aalborg and Hobro from 120 km/h to 160 km/h and possible even 200 km/h.

A smaller one but new rail connection to the port of Esbjerg

Old April 5th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #418
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

During the easter break, the railroad between Vanløse and Herlev was closed for just five days while 4 bridges on the stretch were renovated. Two of the bridges (from 1935 and 1947 respectively) had to be entirely replaced. Below is a video that shows the entire installation of the new bridge:

3737 liked this post
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #419
bongo-anders

Its a nice video, I was actually thinking about posting it in the Copenhagen - Public transport thread where its probably more suited.

But its very impressive that they could build it so fast.
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #420
bongo-anders

The world famous Venice Simplon Orient Express was in Denmark today, here are some pictures from the Copenhagen Suburb of Høje Taastrup and from the central station (København H).

First at Høje Taastrup, the sun was not kind to me but i won´t let the pictures get wasted.

At København H

NordikNerd liked this post

Tags
denmark, trains