daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Default
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #441
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
By the is there a rail connection between Turkey and it's Asian neighbours and if so is it on a same gauge?
Yes: http://www.itoworld.com/map/68#fullscreen

Note that that map shows the types of electric currents and that it is not always accurate.

About the gauge: http://www.itoworld.com/map/159?lon=...1.13505&zoom=5

Other maps: http://www.itoworld.com/map/group/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
But some time ago they talked about driving the Malmö - Berlin train over Øresund instead of the Trelleborg ferry so they must be working on getting the permission to travel with passengers at some point.
Why there is such a strange prohibition?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; April 10th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #442
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

I really dont know.

btw the DB Schenker locomotive that pulled the train under and over Øresund was EG 3107.

Last edited by bongo-anders; April 11th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #443
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

The Orient Express leaving Denmark for Sweden.
The locomotive can handle dual voltage systems.

Coccodrillo, bongo-anders liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #444
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Just out of curiosity how frequent are the trains between Copenhagen and Malmo/Lund? Only reason why I am asking is because I will be in Copenhagen sometime around May, and I am thinking of taking a day trip into Sweden.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #445
milipumba

Likes (Received): 467

The frequency between Copenhagen H and Malmö C is 20 minutes. And every 10 minutes during rush hour. And the same goes for Lund.

If you are traveling on weekends, you must "settle" with 20 min service.
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #446
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

What are the advantages of 1500 volts DC vs. 25,000 volts AC? In New Zealand where I live, we have one 25,000 volt AC line between Palmerston North and Hamilton (the North Island main trunk line) this was installed in the 1980s to give extra power for hauling freight.

The other system in use is 1500 volts; this is used only by commuter trains in the greater Wellington area. The entire rest of NZ only uses diesel powered trains.
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #447
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
What are the advantages of 1500 volts DC vs. 25,000 volts AC? In New Zealand where I live, we have one 25,000 volt AC line between Palmerston North and Hamilton (the North Island main trunk line) this was installed in the 1980s to give extra power for hauling freight.

The other system in use is 1500 volts; this is used only by commuter trains in the greater Wellington area. The entire rest of NZ only uses diesel powered trains.
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...comparison.php
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #448
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8830

I've moved all the Ukrainian discussions to The Ukrainian thread.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #449
mijack1985

Likes (Received): 6

http://www.business.dk/transport/nor...angreb-paa-dsb

Here is (Danish) artikel about the railmarket in Denmark. Private companies like Abellio and Arriva want more rail franchises.
mijack1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #450
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Equipment needing to process two or three voltage standards is heavier than other kinds
Modifying a 15Kv 16.6Hz locomotive suitable for running under 25Kv 50Hz is not going to make it heavier. That's why nowadays new AC locomotives can run under both AC systems by default more or less.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #451
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The problem of the Swiss and German systems is that the electricity costs of rail operations are higher because of that necessity of a separate network.
It's a little be more complicated.
One advantage of the 16.6 Hz network is that it is single phase. The whole Swiss network is basically one, without any interruptions (unlike 50Hz networks, where you have phase breaks). This makes energy recuperation a lot easier, something the SBB makes good use of.
SBB also makes all its electricity using hydro power, which means that they don't have the cost involved in plants running idle during the night. On the contrary, they buy electricity from the 50Hz network at night cheaply, store it in their dams and have them produce 16.6Hz AC during the day...
I don't have the exact figures, but I think that the financial disadvantage you suppose exist might not be there at all.
Still, for new electrifications going 25KV 50Hz is the way to go, especially given the fact that building locomotives for both AC systems is trivial, and most locomotives build nowadays are multisystem by default.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #452
mpeculea

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Modifying a 15Kv 16.6Hz locomotive suitable for running under 25Kv 50Hz is not going to make it heavier. That's why nowadays new AC locomotives can run under both AC systems by default more or less.
There is also a market related reason for this...
Building a locomotive that can be used in both supply systems means, that you can build more identical ones, which means lower costs, and a bigger market.
Locomotive manufacturers must love this...
mpeculea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #453
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
By the is there a rail connection between Turkey and it's Asian neighbours and if so is it on a same gauge?
The line Ankara-Kars once continued east into Armenia, with a gauge change
facility at the border in Gyumri. However, due to the difficult relations between
Ankara and Yerevan, this international line is currently out of service. I heard
that rails had been physically lifted but have no confirmation on this. There are
no serious talks about service resuming at that moment... When it was in service,
I do not believe it conveyed passengers, just freight, and very small amounts of it,
given the limited capacity of the Gyumri station.

Turkey and Georgia are working together to build a new line between Kars and
Tbilissi, in order to restore the link to the east, and also with a political
agenda to further isolate Armenia.

More to the South, there is a link between Turkey and Iran. It hosts a two or three
passenger round trips per week. Very low traffic too, as it uses a ferry
connexion on Lake Van, which only can carry a few cars on each trip. There
used to be talks for a line going round the Lake, but this project seems stalled.

Still further South, there is a (probably currently unused, not sure) connexion
between Turkey and Irak, and two between Turkey and Syria, status unknown.

All those international links are with no break of gauge, except the one with
Armenia.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #454
bongo-anders

Back to Denmark

The railway bridge over Limfjorden opened again after 13 months of closure after a container ship sailed into the bridge in march 2012

These pictures are from the first commercial train deparding frim Lindholm north of the fjord and to Aalborg, the main city south of the fjord.

Old April 29th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #455
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

If I understand correctly trains were transported on the isolated tracks north of the bridge via a train ferry from Sweden or Norway...is that true?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #456
bongo-anders

Yes they used Stena Scanrail that sails between Frederikshavn and Gothenburg in Sweden.

I believe that I posted some pictures a few months back in this thread with one of these transportations.

The accident came just before a huge track repair work that took place last summer so all the equipment, rails, sleepers and the special train had to go the same way.
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #457
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

A few weeks ago, the Belgian and Dutch railway companies (and governments) decided to withdraw their Fyra highspeed trains produced by AnsandoBreda. They also tore up their contract with the company. The reason given was lack of reliability (problems with software and brakes) and late delivery. For those who can read French, this link:
http://www.challenges.fr/entreprise/...ref=obinsource.

The thing is, the Fyra was less delayed than the IC4 and probably not more unreliable. Why on earth have DSB and the Danish government not made a decision in line the Flemish-speakers to stop throwing good money after bad money? I cannot assume that public officials in my native Denmark are less intelligent than their foreign colleagues, but... perhaps they are less willing to admit a mistake?
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #458
bongo-anders

I believe you can read danish :-)

In short it says that even DSB now have doubts about the trainb.

http://ing.dk/artikel/nu-tvivler-sel...4-toget-159556
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #459

Likes (Received): 1038

After the fyra debacle 2 weeks ago the dutch press visited the danish railways and also there are still a lot of problems with the IC4 but they decided to fix all the problems accroding to the report. link (part dutch/danish)
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #460
bongo-anders

Yes they will keep the train but it will never be the backbone of the danish intercity system.

Hopefully in not so many years then most of the main lines are electrified and then IC4 will only run on the branch lines.

Most of eastern Denmark will be under wire in 2021, the only ones missing would be Notdvestbanen (Roskilde-Holbæk-Kalundborg) and the northern part of Lille Syd (northern part of Køge to Roskilde) and all the small local lines but they use Coradia lint.

its has been suggested that Regionstog that runs the trains between the Stevns peninsula and Køge will take over the northern part of Lille Syd so there is one less line the IC4 can run on.

The southern part of Lille Syd between Næstved and Køge is upgraded to 160 km/h and electrified and then connected to the new high speed line Ringsted - Copenhagen at Køge Nord.

Nordvestbanen between Roskilde and Kalundborg will probably also get electrification at some point and therefore IC4 will be obsolete on the east danish rail traffic and on the main lines after no later than 2025.

Tags
denmark, trains