daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Default
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:39 PM   #941
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
In Glencoe. The sun niverrr shines....
???

I don't get it. Where is Glencoe anyway?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:38 PM   #942
bongo-anders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Køge
Posts: 5,183
Likes (Received): 3601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Where's the McDonald's?
Right here

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/McD...11!4d12.214648
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 01:21 PM   #943
milipumba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Køge
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 467

Here is a 13 minutes long video about the new high speed railroad, from Copenhagen to Ringsted.
http://www.tv2lorry.dk/nyheder/25-09...*******#player
__________________

dimlys1994, 1993matias, kapo311 liked this post
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:01 PM   #944
milipumba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Køge
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 467

@Hans280
Watch this video for information about the top speed, for this line.
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 08:44 PM   #945
hans280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paris
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 173

Thanks. Yes, they now speak openly of 250 km/h, limited only by the top speed of the available rolling stock. This is a clear change from 5-6 years ago when the word was that the line could "eventually" be upgraded to this speed. That's good news - which no doubt is connected with the decision to upgrade the legacy line from Ringsted to Fehmarn to 200 km/h (at first the talk was of 160 km/h only). The Danes are rolling!
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:32 PM   #946
thomasKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Thanks. Yes, they now speak openly of 250 km/h, limited only by the top speed of the available rolling stock. This is a clear change from 5-6 years ago when the word was that the line could "eventually" be upgraded to this speed. That's good news - which no doubt is connected with the decision to upgrade the legacy line from Ringsted to Fehmarn to 200 km/h (at first the talk was of 160 km/h only). The Danes are rolling!
You are right, it is a change. There was no real interest in 250 kph before the hour-plan introduced in Togfonden brought it back. It will probably happen but its not a certainty. The danish state railways, DSB, are opposed to it, claiming excessice cost for little gain, having to buy and maintain new types of trains. It also seems stupid to me. Doing 250 on the new stretches will only cut 5 minutes from the main two-hour link between Aarhus and Copenhagen and likely lose 1-2 minutes because of slower acceleration.

Togfonden is not on hold. It rests on a solid majority which has agreed to find the money lacking from lower-than-expected oil tax revenues. They have split the project in two phases with phase two being delayed three years, I think, Likely hoping that phase two can be partly financed from phase one coming in under budget, which is quite likely. A recent minor railway project was completed 20% cheaper than budgetted. Additional funding may be found from earlier agreements on annual pools of money for infrastructure.

The biggest threat is probably the current minority government trying to become part of a re-negotiated Togfonden deal, including cuts. I doubt there will be any significant cuts. It would be difficult to do.
thomasKing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #947
bongo-anders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Køge
Posts: 5,183
Likes (Received): 3601

2 beautiful GM diesel locomotives, the Litra MY parked in Køge.








And what I suppose is the track laying trains for the high speed line.





__________________

dimlys1994 liked this post
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #948
hans280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paris
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasKing View Post
The danish state railways, DSB, are opposed to it, claiming excessice cost for little gain, having to buy and maintain new types of trains. It also seems stupid to me. Doing 250 on the new stretches will only cut 5 minutes from the main two-hour link between Aarhus and Copenhagen and likely lose 1-2 minutes because of slower acceleration.
DSB would probably have preferred the new line to be subject to a speed limitation to 200 kph. (Come to think: maybe that's why they initially planned it thus?) Neighbouring Sweden and Germany already have trains doing 250 kph, and with the gradual liberalisation of network access they'll sooner or later be competing within Denmark. From the viewpoint of DSB this puts them in a bind.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #949
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller
 
NordikNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linköping
Posts: 2,748
Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
DSB would probably have preferred the new line to be subject to a speed limitation to 200 kph. (Come to think: maybe that's why they initially planned it thus?) Neighbouring Sweden and Germany already have trains doing 250 kph, and with the gradual liberalisation of network access they'll sooner or later be competing within Denmark. From the viewpoint of DSB this puts them in a bind.
The topspeed on swedish railway tracks is 200km/h not 250km/h.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #950
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,819
Likes (Received): 1822

Botniabanan can technically allow speeds of up to 250 km/h, it's just that the trains are only capable of 200 km/h. That being said, Botniabanan has little relevance to Denmark
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #951
hans280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paris
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 173

Sweden has already experimented with train speeds up to 300 kph (the "green train"). Speeds of 250 kph in ordinary traffic cannot be far off?
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #952
Robi_damian
Registered User
 
Robi_damian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Timisoara
Posts: 2,756
Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
Ar catenary polls in Denmark painted that brown-red colour on purpose? They look like they have rust on them.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #953
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1507

There is a special steel/paint combination that "bakes" a layer of rust on that actually protects the structure from damage.

That said, they may just be in shadow.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:27 AM   #954
Robi_damian
Registered User
 
Robi_damian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Timisoara
Posts: 2,756
Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
There is a special steel/paint combination that "bakes" a layer of rust on that actually protects the structure from damage.

That said, they may just be in shadow.
Thanks!

I doubt it is just a shadow, as I have seen the colour before, and only in Denmark.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #955
milipumba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Køge
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 467

It's called corten steel.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel
__________________

Robi_damian liked this post
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #956
thomasKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
DSB would probably have preferred the new line to be subject to a speed limitation to 200 kph. (Come to think: maybe that's why they initially planned it thus?) Neighbouring Sweden and Germany already have trains doing 250 kph, and with the gradual liberalisation of network access they'll sooner or later be competing within Denmark. From the viewpoint of DSB this puts them in a bind.
Yes they would have preferred 200 kph. As would I. Its the max limit on existing lines and it isnt worth much chasing extra speed. High-speed rail is oddly fascinating for some people but expensive and irrelevant for the vast majority of passengers.
thomasKing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #957
hans280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Paris
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasKing View Post
Yes they would have preferred 200 kph. As would I. Its the max limit on existing lines and it isnt worth much chasing extra speed. High-speed rail is oddly fascinating for some people but expensive and irrelevant for the vast majority of passengers.
In the case of Denmark I might agree. Living in France, as I do, I can assure you that the difference between 200 kph and true high-speed is significant when the inter-regional trains cover distances of 500-700 km. Your point about "the vast majority of passengers" is moreover IMO a bit flippant. The vast majority of passengers are using trains for a relatively short daily commute and, yes, HS lines are irrelevant for their purposes. But does this imply that one shouldn't invest in a strong long-distance rail network as well?

The Belgians initially made similar arguments about HS rail: their country is small (the size of Jutland, I believe), so why should they be expected to invest in 300 kph lines as opposed to a more pragmatic approach? However, the Belgian railways are part of a larger long-distance network tying together Paris, London, Amsterdam and the German industrial heartland. The speed on intra-Belgian lines was not just about freighting people from Brussels to Antwerp, and in the end the Belgian authorities yielded to the pressure. In the case of Denmark this is unlikely to happen, because the southern neighbour is Germany. The Germans are reluctant to go all-out on HS, and insofar as they are willing to invest in railways their main priority seems to be the east-west connections rather than their relatively unpopulated north. In other words, truly HS solutions are not necessarily needed for domestic Danish purposes, and there's no cross-country considerations altering that calculation.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #958
bongo-anders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Køge
Posts: 5,183
Likes (Received): 3601

Progress on Lunderskov-Esbjerg.


bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:19 PM   #959
Gag Halfrunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 719
Likes (Received): 27

The mysterious IC4 in Libya is still there, sitting on the three kilometre fragment of track in Tripoli.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:13 PM   #960
The Polman
Registered User
 
The Polman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tilburg
Posts: 932
Likes (Received): 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
In the case of Denmark I might agree. Living in France, as I do, I can assure you that the difference between 200 kph and true high-speed is significant when the inter-regional trains cover distances of 500-700 km. Your point about "the vast majority of passengers" is moreover IMO a bit flippant. The vast majority of passengers are using trains for a relatively short daily commute and, yes, HS lines are irrelevant for their purposes. But does this imply that one shouldn't invest in a strong long-distance rail network as well?

The Belgians initially made similar arguments about HS rail: their country is small (the size of Jutland, I believe), so why should they be expected to invest in 300 kph lines as opposed to a more pragmatic approach? However, the Belgian railways are part of a larger long-distance network tying together Paris, London, Amsterdam and the German industrial heartland. The speed on intra-Belgian lines was not just about freighting people from Brussels to Antwerp, and in the end the Belgian authorities yielded to the pressure. In the case of Denmark this is unlikely to happen, because the southern neighbour is Germany. The Germans are reluctant to go all-out on HS, and insofar as they are willing to invest in railways their main priority seems to be the east-west connections rather than their relatively unpopulated north. In other words, truly HS solutions are not necessarily needed for domestic Danish purposes, and there's no cross-country considerations altering that calculation.
The contrasting thoughts, in combination with the price tag of our first and only HST line, necked further plans in the Netherlands. It is indeed very important to look further than the existing stream of passengers. Many people here see Amsterdam just as a terminus of international traffic, and use that stupid pretext to prevent an HST or even any speed improvement to Germany. No, even within our borders. However, we MUST look further!

Reducing our travel times by increasing maximum speeds to 160 or 200, let alone to 250 or 300 on longer distances can make the crucial difference within a few minutes: the first category between 60 and 90 minutes, which ultimately decides people from the Gelderland (Arnhem, Nijmegen) and Brabant (specifically Tilburg-Eindhoven) urban areas to go to the Randstad by train or not. The way of thinking in crucial travel times (1 hour to each city to be able to commute) in Denmark is a wise step as the psychological effect of the positive 'just an hour travelling' is bigger than the negative 'just a few minutes shorter'. Also, consider that Amsterdam is an important airline hub, so an HST line to that city does by far not mean an HST on a loose end, let alone the people that live in our country. Speeding it up can also make more people deciding to travel via AMS or FRA airports rather than the other, or with DUS, even eliminating the need of having to serve a specific destination by both airports as the catchment areas would overlap enormously.

If Denmark speeds up the line towards the Fehmarnbelttunnel, that would of course require a lot of investment, but the connection to Hamburg and even Berlin could be so much faster, even more when Germany invests as well. Copenhagen would be a transport node that connects the mainland to the Scandinavian peninsula instead of another stop on a freak line that does not make sense to travel by instead of by plane. And indeed involves distances of 500-700km. Kastrup will be very happy as well, as Germany comes in sight as well. National interests like these should never be underestimated.

Yes, I hate the short-sightedness of our government towards rail transport, like if 140kph, or 160 at max would be enough to serve the whole country, while upgraded 200 lines could bring Groningen and Maastricht within Amsterdam's commute time like Vejle and Kolding to Copenhagen (according to the hour plan), Cologne to Frankfurt or Dijon to Paris.
__________________

1993matias liked this post
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
denmark, trains

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium