daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Default
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #141
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Yeah, sorry, the mainlines on the Portuguese network seem pretty good actually.

Portugal was just an example that came to mind because my only experience of Portuguese trains is taking a very slow service from Faro to Vila Real de San Antonio in the Algarve but that isn't really representative I think
Faro-VRSA is only (like they did in denmark) being "renewed" ... they are indecisive between upgrading the current line to better standards or buildig a new HSL to join Faro-Huelva-Sevilla , leaving the current line to local comuter trains (wich nowadays is the only thing there actualy).
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #142
Chafford1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
...as somebody who travelled about 32,000 kms last year on the UK rail network I can say that it's definitely better than a few years ago and provides a much better service than it is often credited for.

The main priority now should be to increase capacity so that overcrowding on the busy routes is eased but the network as a whole is heading in the right direction.

Fair comments. Much better than 7 or 8 years ago, and the Government has recently ordered 1300 new carriages and is planning a further 1000 -2000 diesel, electric and hybrid multiple units as part of the Intercity Express Programme.
Chafford1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #143
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

DSB: The Danish State Railways

I thought it would be interesting to start a general thread about the Danish State Railways since I didn't see another one here.

DSB http://www.dsb.dk

The company's mascot /DSB

DSB runs all of the mainline Danish railways, as well as the majority of the smaller side lines. The remaining lines are rural local railways scattered around the country (owned and operated by the regional governments) and a few low-traffic lines across Jylland contracted out to Arriva.

Map of DSB lines /DSB
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #144
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6390

Harry still going strong after so many years

As for the thread, nice idea mate, looking forward to see where you take it
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #145
milwaukee-københavn

DSB History

The first railway was built in Denmark in 1847 as a private initative between Copenhagen and Roskilde. The first lines in Jylland and on the island of Fyn were built in 1862 and 1865. Because these lines were less profitable, they were almost immediately taken over by the state. DSB was founded in 1885 after the rest of the Danish railways were taken over by the state. Ferry service was soon started between Jylland, Fyn, Sjælland, and Sweden continuing until the completion of the Storbælt and Öresund bridge/tunnels in 1998 and 2000. The trains from Copenhagen to Berlin stil operate over ferries for part of the trip.

By the 1930's, most of the rail net had been built. In 1932, DSB started it's own bus services, which operated most rural and some city buses until the 1990's. The S-tog commuter system was also built in 1934, although it has only recently been finished with a ring line.

Roskilde Station, the oldest in Denmark /DSB

image hosted on flickr

Copenhagen Central Station /yasmin Flickr

1800's Steam Train on Sjælland /maaloevbylaug.dk

Old Lyntog Inter City Train with the characteristic modernistic design. Last in service in 1990. /Jernbanebilleder.dk

DSB rural bus from 1950's (I think) with the old DSB logo on front /danskebusser.dk

Older DSB City bus at Næstved Station in 1987 /danskebusser.dk

DSB Ferry "Kronprins Frederik" /kwmosgaard.dk

First generation S-tog at Klampenborg Station /myldretid.dk
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #146
milwaukee-københavn

DSB Trains

The majority of the Danish rail net is not-electrified, although this may change soon if the AnsaldoBreda IC4 order is cancelled. The main line across Sjælland, Fyn and Southern Jylland however is electrified, as is the S-tog and the Öresundstog between Helsingør and Sweden. Over the rest of the system, DSB uses older diesel locomotive hauled trainsets and diesel multiple units.

Old Bumletog regional train cars. These were supposed to be retired years ago but are still in use due to problems with the IC4 /DSB

Loaned double decker cars made by Bombardier. They're used on regional routes and occasionaly on intercity routes during high demand /DSB

IC3 Train. The IC3s are used on all intercity routes as well as regional routes on Sjælland. Some are electric, some dmu /DSB

Train conductor inside the 2nd class of a IC3. Every IC3 is decorated by an artist based on a particular theme. /DSB

ICE Train operated by DSB & DB on the route between Berlin/Hamburg and Copenhagen via the ferry. Not high speed in Denmark, though /DSB

Loaned Siemens Desiro trains used on the Svendborg/Odense regional line on Fyn

The newest DSB train is the IC4 which was ordered from AnsaldoBreda according to DSB's specifications in 2000. All 83 IC4 trains were supposed to be delivered by 2004, but as of now, only a handfull have been delivered and put into service due to a number of serious technical problems. The IC4 has become something of a national spectacle, as AnsaldoBreda and DSB blame each other for the delay, DSB customers still have to use decades old trains that were supposed to be retired, and costs continue to rise. DSB has now said that if the trains aren't all delivered by this May, it will cancel the contract. It looks like this will probably happen, in which case the Danish government has expressed interest in investing in electrifying the Inter City lines and buying off-the-shelf electric trainsets instead.

That being said, the new trains are impressive in action.

IC4 train in Århus /DSB

Inside. Second and first class are virtually identical in the IC4 /DSB

The S-tog Commuter System

The S-tog system uses two variations of its 4th generation trainset made by Alstom and Siemens. The look identical but have different lengths.

Line A in Frederiksberg /DSB

/DSB
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #147
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

this reminds me, check this out: the Cobehnavn-Berlin ICE inside a ship, alongside a truck
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=253205&nseq=2
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #148
gramercy
BANNED

here is a map of the network:
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...peninsulas.gif

and the danish rolling-stock:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/denmark.html#01

---

what I dont understand, is that denmark being so green (leader in wind energy etc), why is there only 1 main line electrified and at the same time diesel trains running at 200 kph?
this day and age, electrification is really cheap (200k eur / km approx), and it has huge advantages
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #149
gramercy
BANNED

this reminds me, check this out: the Cobehnavn-Berlin ICE inside a ship, alongside a truck
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=253205&nseq=2
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #150
milwaukee-københavn

DSB Stations/Infrastructure

All rail infrastructure (including stations) in Denmark is actually owned by another state entity called Banedanmark, which was split off from DSB a few years ago http://www.banedanmark.dk. DSB (and now Banedanmark) have put a lot of money and effort into design of stations/passenger material since the 1970's, and all stations are more or less identically furnished.

Intercity train entering the Storbælt bridge/tunnel /DSB

Nørreport Station in Copenhagen is the country's busiest /DSB

S-tog at Nørreport. The station is entirely underground /DSB

The main hall at Copenhagen Central Station /DSB

The station at Kastrup Airport in Copenhagen /DSB

The new Flintholm Station on the ring line where two S-tog and the Metro connect /DSB

New digital display for the S-tog. DSB has been replacing the former flip displays and older tv-like digital ones with these across the country /DSB

Local Copenhagen and newer long distance ticket machines /DSB
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #151
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

wonderful thread...

I liked the trains also. keep posting new pics please.
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #152
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Brings back so many memories!

I'd forgotten all about DSB's mascot. What a weird thing to still have around
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #153
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I like this Harry advert - the S-tog's look nice with different colours.

farver power = colour power.

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #154
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Beautiful thread! I never knew that they put ICE's on a ferry on their way to Denmark
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #155
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

mee to. I discovered that only when I found myself on a boat

I was going to Copenaghen (with a Danish IC3, at the time) but I did'n know of the ferry.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #156
milwaukee-københavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I like this Harry advert - the S-tog's look nice with different colours.

farver power = colour power.
I love the ironic soft music in the background. Harry is a national treasure. You used to be able to get little stuffed ones at the station, too.

The nicest S-tog were when they were painted by different artists a while ago. They did the same thing with the local buses in the 80's. I remember one that was painted like a cheeta with his mouth open.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #157
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

what is the top speed of IC4?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #158
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

What impressed me much about Danish trains (and busses) is the huge space they have for bikes ( in Denmark people use to move by bike as in Netherland)
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #159
milwaukee-københavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
here is a map of the network:
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...peninsulas.gif

and the danish rolling-stock:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/denmark.html#01

---

what I dont understand, is that denmark being so green (leader in wind energy etc), why is there only 1 main line electrified and at the same time diesel trains running at 200 kph?
this day and age, electrification is really cheap (200k eur / km approx), and it has huge advantages
Map of Electric lines in Denmark (blue & red):

/Wikipedia

The electrification of all Danish main lines was actually approved in 1979, but with the purchase of the IC3 trains, the Danish government decided that there were few environmental benefits for electification. This January, the government decided to start electrification again- mainly because of problems with the IC4s- but first after the replacement of the entire signal system in 20 years.

The only section that may happen earlier (in 2018) over the new Femern Bridge project that will connect Denmark (on Lolland) and Germany. The line is also planned to be HSR.
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #160
milwaukee-københavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
what is the top speed of IC4?
200 km/hour.

Tags
denmark, trains