daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #41
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 10

4ward, yeah I've seen the images before, but those guys who are doing the masterplan have released loads of images...all different in design. I was never aware of the masterplan...all the rest of this stuff is very new to me...

The stuff about Nottingham to Leeds is great news I think. After you said that I went digging for info and found this,...

So yes...the service is coming back. Not until Dec 2008 though.

Quote:
A four-fold increase in Leeds - Nottingham train services was announced by the Department for Transport today.

Around £2m per year has been pledged by DfT to substantially increase the number of train services between Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield. Currently Midland Mainline runs seven trains daily between Sheffield and Nottingham, two of which extend to Leeds.

From December 2008 the cities will receive 28 daily services. Passengers will receive a more regular service throughout the day, with extra trains operating at morning and evening peak times.

Rail Minister Tom Harris said:

"This is good news for passengers in Leeds and Nottingham who will benefit from a four-fold increase in services. It will mean more capacity at busy times, more seats for passengers and will develop transport links between these important cities."

The services will start with the new December 2008 timetable which will be finalised by spring 2008 and will be operated by Northern Rail. It is expected that all trains will call on an hourly basis at Wakefield Kirkgate, Barnsley, Meadowhall, Sheffield, Chesterfield and Alfreton, and many will also call at Dronfield and Langley Mill. Dronfield station will receive a substantially better service than today. This is in addition to the existing semi-fast service between Leeds and Sheffield via Barnsley.

Heidi Mottram, Managing Director, Northern Rail said: "This is an excellent opportunity to provide additional services for customers between the major centres of the East Midlands and Yorkshire, building on the early success and significant growth Northern Rail has had in the first two years of our franchise."

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #42
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 65

Erm. It doesn't mention that all the services will be direct (as in we still have to change at Sheffield)
There was something about it on the Leeds forum ages ago about them improving rail links to Sheffield aswell so maybe it's part of the same scheme.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM   #43
Ranwolf

Likes (Received): 1

Don't worry, its a direct service. The increase is in reference to the current amount of direct services, which operate as the last trains of the day as they goto Leeds for maintenence.
Ranwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM   #44
danz013
Robin Hood

I keep looking at these station plans and I think they're great. I'm VERY excited about Nottingham's future connectivity with other places. The station gives the immediate impressions of the city. When you arrive in Manchester, you see this huge station with loads of shops, its busy, airport style waiting, lots of benches, plenty of screens, cafes, helpdesks all over the places... its amazing...

I am absolutely excited that this is what there intention is for Nottingham. Finally, when people arrive in Nottingham they'll be greeted with a big station (that will hopefully continue to grow and increase capacity).

I'm interested in the this seventh platform. Does anyone know what this might be used for? Where it might go? Any possible routes you might of heard the government looking to?

Once we get this route to Leeds there won't be many other major places in the UK we don't have direct links two.

I can only think of Bristol and Newcastle (as well as the Scotland)

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #45
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

I agree about the excitment of this project it will really change the face of the city.
I think maybe they should do something with the platforms at the end of the station near Jury's Inn that are barely used and uncovered by a roof. It's a waste of space IMO.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM   #46
4ward4notts

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz013 View Post

I can only think of Bristol and Newcastle (as well as the Scotland)
well you can discount newcastle and scotland because you can get direct from leeds to both!!!

4ward4notts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM   #47
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef17 View Post
I agree about the excitment of this project it will really change the face of the city.
I think maybe they should do something with the platforms at the end of the station near Jury's Inn that are barely used and uncovered by a roof. It's a waste of space IMO.
The impression I got from the design statement was that these would probably be private development sometime in the future. They won't be part of this initial plan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ward4notts View Post
well you can discount newcastle and scotland because you can get direct from leeds to both!!!
Yeaaaa I know.. but I still like to get there direct lol... maybe i'm being a big greedy...but...what else will the extra platform be for? An extra platform means extra capacity...extra capacity of what?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM   #48
4ward4notts

i mean if we can get to leeds direct then we can get to newcastle and scot direct.... you discount them.... you get me now.....

one the extra platform i have no idea what it will serve to do because there is only so many trains the lines can handle.... so to utilize the extra platform we need more lines into the station and we currently only have the standard two pretty shit really....

Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #49
danz013
Robin Hood

Yeah im with ya. Infact...those two franchises are about to combine into one franchise. I can't see another franchise coming to Nottingham in the near future. We are very well connected with these two lines though... like I say, its Not many places that we can't get to.

Derby has an extra line that we don't maybe we could take advantage of that. It gets them to bristol, newcastle and leeds direct. We could probably take advantage of other expansions.

Take a look at this map.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system..._Operators.pdf

I think we need to capture places like conventry, other places around birmingam...any other places in the midlands we can't access directly. Most of these places are all on the current central line (we just can get to them directly). These places are most likely to commute to Notts, not to far away, you can probably reach in an hour on train.

Follow Me - Twitter

Last edited by danz013; September 2nd, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM   #50
pharmj

Likes (Received): 28

I am liking these plans for the station A LOT! They are very exciting, I feel it will give a brilliant entrance to the city as well. The old stone station works really well with the new glass concourse as well. Hopefully it will attract some retailers to it, as at present there is only that small coffee shop and WHSmith. Nottingham could do with a real upgrade to its systems, and the change in franchise ownership would be as good a time as any.

Regards to the car park, I am pleased it is being disguised with a building in front and cladding on the back, the 'Nottingham' sign could be really good, as long as they do it well. It is also something that could look tacky after a short period of time, as they have to remember it will get dirty with the trains passing by. Hopefully it will be clad with a good material like Trinity Square.

The new platform is an interesting development as well, Im not sure how we could get any more lines through the station, as all the bridges have been built while there is only two. Perhaps it will serve a direct link between Nottingham and Nottingham Parkway stations, like an air link. I have a real vision of this station in my head, as you pull in, glass and high-rise all around you...trams sweeping overhead as the train comes to a stop, people bustling, announcments to any number of destinations, and now that vision isnt as far away as I thought! Riding on the tram will be great as well, coming into a new station, then passing through broadmarsh,and up the hill past CCAN and down into OMS. Nottingham is going to have a damn fantastic feel to it when this is all done!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM   #51
danz013
Robin Hood

I agree entirely. Its mainly this vision that gets me. Perception is key. And thats what the guys who wrote up the masterplan said too, they made it clear this is all about perception (as well as improving facilities).

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:51 AM   #52
Roggar

Too true.

Perception is a huge factor.

When people currently come to Nottingham via public transport they either arrive in a rubbish station, or in one of two horrible bus stations.

Addressing these will really change peoples views. Southside, and i Eastside to a level will really give a wow factor for people arriving into Notts.

The station is a key factor in this and i cannot wait for it to be built.

I hate going on the trains at the moment and a large part of it is the fact that the station is grotty and poor for facilities.

When finished i might be more up for going there and using the public transport.

Roll on the build!
Roggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #53
danz013
Robin Hood

Heres an example of what future developments could be like...

image hosted on flickr

And this is an example of the type of materials used on that "nottingham" part of the car park...

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #54
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Thanks Dan. The sooner we get rid of those ugly warehouses and massive pipe things near the bridge the better.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #55
4ward4notts

there is some stuff on arkwright street and the station and the development of net phrase 2.

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/W...e=&pageCount=1

demolition related

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #56
danz013
Robin Hood

i've seen this one before... that particular document i've seen, but don't really understand. I'm not sure what all the other planning applications they relate to are. When I look them up they were small buildings... what does this document show? The buildings they're going to have to demolish for net phase 2?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #57
danz013
Robin Hood

I've spoken to the council today about this scheme to find out whats been happening (app was submitted last year). The scheme has been put on hold by the council as the architects will bring in a number of design changes.

A new application is expected to be submitted in November of this year. Once the app has received it will go into a period of public consultation.

The application is NOT a masterplan. It will not be like Eastside or Waterside where they will have to submit applications for individual buildings on site. Once the application is approved the whole site will become one big construction site (lots of cranes ).

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #58
Roggar

Brilliant.

Hope the get cracking on this by end of year.

With this, hopefully Eastside, the start of summer leys and picture works, sov house it could start to be a battle of the cranes down there and a totally different place in 2/3 yrs
Roggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #59
danz013
Robin Hood

Moving on..... I asked...

Quote:
Did the council request designs changes to the station or was there opposition to the scheme? Or are these changes simply voluntarily?
She responded...

Quote:
Briefly, something of a combination of circumstances but mainly because the rail industry have undertaken a review of the scheme and because there were concerns about the siting of the proposed multistorey car park.
I guess this is probably because the potential line seven will go underneath the car park?

We'll probably see a few design changes here. I'm still very excited about this project. I do look forward to seeing some changes though. As good as the plans are for Nottingham "not every element of this scheme looks as good as it could".

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #60
pharmj

Likes (Received): 28

Ok, watching BBC Breakfast this morning, and apparently 2 businessmen have given £1million each to kickstart the redevelopment of Nottingham Station. It has prompted Nottingham City Council to take the project to the Department of Transport using the support to back up the case for the goverment to fund at least some of the remainder of the project. Fingers crossed, but at least there are other people in this city keen for progress. I wonder who they were...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: