daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 28

NOTTINGHAM | Nottingham Forest Stadium | Clifton Move

The club has announced it is to leave the City Ground, in the centre of Nottingham, for a site to the south in Clifton.

The new £45m-£50m stadium would have a capacity of up to 50,000 with funding from the private and public sectors.
The new location is close to the M1, but the move would probably be timed to coincide with the expansion of the nearby A453 which links the area to the motorway.

The plans also include new housing and other commercial developments in the Clifton area and "the latest in green technology and a new transport infrastructure".
A possible new tram route for the Clifton area and the expansion of the nearby A543 make the move to the area very attractive.

Follow Me - Twitter

Last edited by danz013; August 6th, 2007 at 01:07 AM.
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #2
mph12

Likes (Received): 13

I may have to eat my words. But I think Forest would need at least 2 solid seasons in the prem before you could afford/justify/sustain this.

Stinks of the five year plan Forest banged on about when you got rid of your last desent manager Paul Hart. Another hollow soundbite!

What is it with the East Mids clubs. First Derby come up with expansion plans then Forest, now even Mandaric is jumping on the bandwagon. Even with Derby's (and it pains me to say) recent success, still think all the clubs have alot more to do on the pitch first before we need 50,000 seats.

ah well we see. Roll on next week.......up the city!!!!

P.S. Have you ever seen a less detailed render???

Live Map
mph12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #3
danz013
Robin Hood

I don't think they have a choice... I agree with you to a great extent... i'm obviously happy they have plans as they're great for Nottingham in general but if you ask the rest of the notts members theres big disagreements on where this new stadium should be.

The situations like this... Forest are broke... they no longer own the city ground (the council do) and the site the forest ground is on is worth hundreds of Millions. There is no doubt that whatever development comes on that land will be amazing... in the EP there have been talks of Multi towers, high rise living, luxury living, conference centres the lot by property experts from in and around the city. So as you can imagine...the council are pretty eager to see forest move out. To be honest...this was inevitable unless forest were to get some massive takeover and then buy back the ground...

The council have forest on a dogs leash and they have to go with more or less whatever is put to them....

Forest moving would also brighten up one of the worst parts of the city... Clifton was once Europes largest council estate...its an area that needs a lot of work, the tram going down there, A453 widening and the Forest ground will just about do the job.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #4
mph12

Likes (Received): 13

"hundreds of Millions", prime land agreed, but think you may be overstating it there.

Well we'll see but I would be amazed if a League One team, whoever they are, could pull this off. Personally I think it would be a shame. The ground is in the best place now as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a big fan of all the new Stadia springing up anyway, I think Leicester we're crying out for a new ground but I wish we had been a little bit creative. Nice ground, but I remember the days when each team had a unique ground. I think Liverpool's designer's are on the right lines with the new Anfield.

Live Map
mph12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #5
ranny fash
quacked

Likes (Received): 64

^agreed. im a forest fan and clifton is the wrong place. too out of the way - the club may lose a lot of support like that. it needs to be right in town. clifton can be improved by being better integrated into the urban fabric of notts (better transport connections). putting the stadium out there is a bad idea long term for the club - altho i'm not sure how much say they'll have in it.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #6
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz013 View Post
but if you ask the rest of the notts members theres big disagreements on where this new stadium should be.
^ Told ya lol

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 113

Dan have you had a look on the BBC website? They have some renders that we've seen before but alot bigger than the ones above.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #8
danz013
Robin Hood

no...i'll have to go check it out though

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 113

When your on it go on "In Pictures" then "Wallpaper" which is about half way down on the left and you'll see it.
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #10
pharmj

Likes (Received): 66

I like the plans, and I can understand that the council are eager to free up that land, and I can see there are benefits and bad points to both plans. The transport issues for Clifton would be a lot easier with the tram, railway, motorway and new dual carriageway right there. However fans from the actual city would find it harder, and lets face it, theres more actual Nottingham fans. The stadium I think would look just as impressive if not more so in a city centre setting. What they need to do is buy up some of the land around it and address some of the transport issues at the site. There are no really decent hotels near the area, so theres nowhere for fans/conferance delegates to stay. The roads are all too narrow and the site is hard to get to at the moment. These are problems I think the site will have no matter what happens.

I agree with the above statements though, the development seems a bit far fetched considering Nottingham Forest are hardly premiership material at the moment. I think financial backers will be hard to find for this project unless the whole club is sold to a foreign owner like Portsmouth was, and then money can be thrown at it. While I agree the stadium is a let down, I dont think moving it practically into Derbyshire can be a good idea.
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #11
danz013
Robin Hood

My decisions split.. I think the stadium would be great...in the city centre however I think... Moving to clifton has a number of big benefits to the city...

1. I don't think moving to clifton will stop supporters from travelling to forest... to be honest, if they got the move i'd be more inclined to go and see them... I support them but never to see them.

2. Redevelopment in the city would be complicated as they'd have to do it on the same site. The site where the ground is now is the prime place for it in the city....they'd have to groundshare with country for a year lol while rebuilding happens...

3. If they move out of town... The development of that area would have to be amazing...the council would be under the world of pressure to produce something spectacular.. I think with those small towers in the words for west bridgeford, and development along the river... and an amazing development on the forest site...that really could finally make my dreams and turn into Nottingham's own version of manchesters Salford (and without the council estate)

4. It will do for clifton what the trams and ozone will do for the meadows...it will reignite a terrible area. Job opportunities and leisure facillities for those who currently don't have them

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #12
ranny fash
quacked

dan,

1. disagree here dude. it will stop fans from associating with the club, eventually hurting the fan base. you might be more inclined to go see them if they moved there, but most fans wouldn't. it's a way of letting the club slowly lose it's soul - and that's the main thing fans associate with in a club.

to put it in perspective, juventus moved to a 75'000 stadium in 1990, on the outskirts of turin. even tho the stadium was massive - the fans hated it and attendances have slowly dropped since then to the point where one of the world's biggest clubs were regularly pulling around 30,000 fans. it's because it's a soulless stadium in a location the fans don't associate with - it's not part of the club's roots or strength. out of town stadiums should be consigned to history, they're all shit.

2. agreed, it's a top site and could be used really well.

3. ditto.

4. maybe, dunno yet.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #13
danz013
Robin Hood

Umm.... maybe im wrong......

Surely with the tram and a453 going to clifton...it will be well connected?? It won't stop that many from going?

I have visions of being on the tram with a hundreds of forest fans all chanting on the way to the stadium! That would be great!

Most forest fans are hard core...i can't see it stopping them...maybe i'm wrong tho?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #14
pharmj

I think (as i said before) the arguements are compelling both ways, it depends how successful the waterside developments end up being. If they are runaway sucessful then we can assume the land will be better used for that. I think the council are keen to get in the 2012 Olympics bandwagon with this. Its convenient timing for it. Imagine the kudos it could bring Nottingham if we host a Olympics qualifying round here?
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #15
danz013
Robin Hood

i didnt realise some evens like the qualifiers could be held outside of London... But yeah... Nottingham must be up there for water events... Whats the National Water centre like? I've never been there

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #16
pharmj

Yea the qualifiers are being held all over the country, thats part of the reason they did a travelling roadshow last year, and got each region (including the east midlands) to 'back the bid' a few years back. My home town of gloucester is bidding for the rugby and horse riding i think.

Nottingham would do well to promote the watersports centre and maybe the ice arena for something as well. The tennis centre i dont think is as good as others, and the stadium would be up against stiff competition from manchester, the london stadia and the new liverpool ground.

The watersports centre is a top notch place, with man made rapids and a huge man made rowing lake and large spectator stands, plus the river runs right by it. Its ideal for an event like that, plus would raise its profile so hopefully it wouldnt be under threat of closure again.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #17
danz013
Robin Hood

great stuff.... I shall go and check it out...

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #18
danz013
Robin Hood

From the evening post today

Quote:
The body which oversees fan safety at football stadiums has said it could be impractical for Nottingham Forest to stay at the City Ground.
The club has announced plans for a new 55,000 capacity home on the edge of Clifton but have faced opposition from some fans and residents.

Now the Football Licensing Authority has said expanding the current venue may pose problems for managing crowds.

The club has said it hopes to move to the new £50m ground by 2014.

David Beaumont, from the authority, said a bigger City Ground could cause bottlenecks as fans try to get in and out.

Transport challenges

He said: "One of the major difficulties that the club would have increasing the capacity of the main stand, which currently holds about 5,500, is if they want to get up to 9,000 or 10,000 they will need a two storey main stand.

"Then they would have difficulties because you have a major funnel on Pavilion Road and it would create problems getting the spectators out."

The police said the current ground was relatively easy to control as it had such good transport links.

A spokesman said: "A move to an area on the edge of town would present us with challenges in getting fans to and from the ground.

"But we would expect these to be addressed in the process leading up to any construction."

When the club announced its plans to move from the City Ground in June, chief executive Mark Arthur said the stadium, which has been Forest's home since 1898, was becoming "tired" and would be difficult to develop into a potential venue for World Cup matches if the tournament was held in England.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #19
ranny fash
quacked

fair points

still the atmosphere and buzz, as well as the long term attraction of city kids to support the club, would all suffer if it was out in clifton

55,000? up from 50,000 then? mistake surely
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #20
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranny fash View Post
fair points

still the atmosphere and buzz, as well as the long term attraction of city kids to support the club, would all suffer if it was out in clifton

55,000? up from 50,000 then? mistake surely
I don't think they are really all that far with the plans... at all... If forest went up to the premiership within the next two years I wouldn't be suprised if they upped it to 60,000

Follow Me - Twitter

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: