daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1
noreplica

Likes (Received): 0

Taiwan | road infrastructure • freeways

Taiwan is a mountainous island with only 20% of the land habitable, which is highly concentrated on the plain corridor along the western coast.
The high speed rail started operation early this year has made the major cities on western coast to a huge urban as a whole.
And There are 3 major expressway from north to south along the western coast (no.1, 3, 61), and 12 from west to east linking the coast to the inner part of the plain (no. 62~88).
As you may guess, the high density of the expressways are due to the high density of people and urbans, but the 3 major lines along the western corridor still cannot satisfiy the demand during the rush hour and vacations for taipei citizens going back to their hometowns in southern part of taiwan.

On the contrary, the eastern coast is populated by only 1 million people, and the cliffs and mountains dominate the eastern coast, which makes building expressway even more difficult.
And that's why the eastern coast preserves such an abundant range of wildlife and natural environment without any pollution.

Yesterday, I drove down to the eastern coast at midnight to wait for the sunrise from pacific ocean at Su-ao, and it took only 1 hour and a half from taipei.
Sunrise from the sea level is very rare for taiwanese people for the reason that most taiwanese live in the weastern coast, where you can only observe the sunrise form mountains.

Highway no.9, which is not upgraded to expressway yet.

Coast along highway no.9

fishing boats

Valley in Nan-ao.

Highway no.9 in the village of eastern taiwan.

Looking down to the harbor from the highway.

Expressway no.5, on the way back to taipei.

Countryside od eastern taiwan through the highway fences.

Heading for north, the direction to taipei.

Xueshan tunnel of 12.9km, the longest highway tunnel in asia.

Lanes of opposite direction are down under.

Expressway no.5 through the mountain.

Another shorter tunnel.

Interchange to a small town.

Road sign board with the layout of the xpressway system in taipei.

Conjunction to expressway no.3

Expressway no.3

Almost there.

Conjunction to expressway no.3A

On the 3A, driving down to the taipei basin.

The skyscraper as an indicator of our approaching to the city.

To the end.

Here we are, back to Taipei.

Back to home!!

Route map for this journey.

Last edited by noreplica; August 6th, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
noreplica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Very nice looking motorways. Certainly can see some US influence with the letter-font, green signage and the yellow center lines.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Pangu
中華民國

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Very nice looking motorways. Certainly can see some US influence with the letter-font, green signage and the yellow center lines.
Isn't it like that in most countries though?
Pangu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4
cold

Why do Taiwan have English on their sign for? Is there a lots of English speaking people traveling to Taiwan? You won't see western country having Chinese or other people language on their sign.
cold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
No it's not...have a look around this forum and you'll see most of Europe has a different font, uses blue signs and uses only white lines for standard striping purposes.
That's one of the reasons the Tawain signage stood out- kinda looks familiar in a way.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #6
KB

Likes (Received): 6845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
Yes it is...most country use that signage. I dont think it has anything to do with US.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #7
KB

Likes (Received): 6845

Btw, Taiwan's got good looking highways with scenic views too.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #8
noreplica

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold View Post
Why do Taiwan have English on their sign for? Is there a lots of English speaking people traveling to Taiwan? You won't see western country having Chinese or other people language on their sign.
That's a very weird question that you ask, but easy to answer.
English is an international langauge not just for people from USA, UK, or Australia to understand, it's for any foreigner who doesn't understand chinese characters to have a clue where they are.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #9
noreplica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
No it's not...have a look around this forum and you'll see most of Europe has a different font, uses blue signs and uses only white lines for standard striping purposes.
That's one of the reasons the Tawain signage stood out- kinda looks familiar in a way.
I personally prefer the yellow line on the road for the sign of different directions of traffic, because you can simply be aware of the cars coming from opposite direction.
Yellow for different directions, white for the same.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreplica View Post
I personally prefer the yellow line on the road for the sign of different directions of traffic, because you can simply be aware of the cars coming from opposite direction.
Yellow for different directions, white for the same.
I agree. Especially if you're driving in an unfamiliar area, it's a nice reassurance that you're where you should be.
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #11
DragonHRuffy

Likes (Received): 26

more more more
DragonHRuffy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #12
SungIEman

That has got to be the most common scenery all over east asian coastal cities. The east asian-ness just simply... pops out and hits you square in the face. There's the mountan range, there's the ocean, there's the abundant greenery, and then there's the city with tons of man-made land reclamation structures, and oh look...! There's the camera man hiding behind the bushes on top of a hill snapping pictures of us! *puts up the peace/victory sign*

I swear... east asian has got to be one of the most generic people ever. (I don't care if i'll get owned for saying this... because I'm asian... *puts up the victory sign*)

whipped out a few pictures just to prove my point.

Japan

Korea

And for those who are not familiar with asian culture, here's an example of victory/peace sign
SungIEman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #13
noreplica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SungIEman View Post

That has got to be the most common scenery all over east asian coastal cities. The east asian-ness just simply... pops out and hits you square in the face. There's the mountan range, there's the ocean, there's the abundant greenery, and then there's the city with tons of man-made land reclamation structures, and oh look...! There's the camera man hiding behind the bushes on top of a hill snapping pictures of us! *puts up the peace/victory sign*

I swear... east asian has got to be one of the most generic people ever. (I don't care if i'll get owned for saying this... because I'm asian... *puts up the victory sign*)

whipped out a few pictures just to prove my point.

Japan

Korea

And for those who are not familiar with asian culture, here's an example of victory/peace sign
Haha, thats a funny comparison.
I found that taiwan, korea, and japan resemble each other on lots of aspect, like geographic features, urban features, and the way of living...
I went to korea several yrs ago, and seoul is just like another taipei to me, except for the korean characters on the street banner.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #14
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Here you guys go: http://www.planetvids.com/html/Azn-Pride.html
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #15
cold

Quote:
English is an international langauge not just for people from USA, UK, or Australia to understand, it's for any foreigner who doesn't understand chinese characters to have a clue where they are.
no is not..English is not consider an international language(There are no such thing as international language). I believe Japaneses visited Taiwan more than English speaking countries.

Ever been to France or Germany? NO English sign like Taiwan or most Asian country. More English speaking people visited Germany and France than Taiwan.
cold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #16
noreplica

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold View Post
no is not..English is not consider an international language(There are no such thing as international language). I believe Japaneses visited Taiwan more than English speaking countries.

Ever been to France or Germany? NO English sign like Taiwan or most Asian country. More English speaking people visited Germany and France than Taiwan.
Japanese use the same character system as Chinese, so we don't have to put "Japanese characters" on, and Japanese can recognize the "Kanji" without any problem.
It's just a problem of different character system, not the problem of different languges.
Like in France, you don't have to learn french but you can still recognize the french letter, and you know where you are even you don't really know what the name really means.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #17
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
It has been a standard for Asian highway signs to use both English and the language of their respective country.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #18
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

That was beautiful. I love how the highways are setup and their signage.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #19
badguy2000

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Xueshan tunnel of 12.9km, the longest highway tunnel in asia.
well, I am sure that the title should be taken by mainland China long ago..

badguy2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #20
badguy2000

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy2000 View Post
[qoute]Xueshan tunnel of 12.9km, the longest highway tunnel in asia.
well, I am sure that the title should be taken by mainland China long ago..[/quote]

the current longest tunnel in the world should be Zhongnanshan tunnel,18.2 KM long in mainland China.

Last edited by badguy2000; August 9th, 2007 at 05:52 AM.
badguy2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote