daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #21
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Someone should get pics of Taipei's expressways... they look very impressive on Google Earth.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=k&z=17&om=1

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #22
KaRoLiNa_CoLoMbIa

Likes (Received): 3

Excellents Highways and Motorways and beautiful Landscapes ...
Ejercito Nacional Colombiano
KaRoLiNa_CoLoMbIa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #23
tr

Likes (Received): 1

Great thread, love the pics of Nanao and Dongao.

"Someone should get pics of Taipei's expressways... they look very impressive on Google Earth"

Sorry, I could only find pics of the western highways .......

Rest Area

Rest Area

credit:taneeb

Last edited by tr; August 11th, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
tr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #24
cclo
A Taiwanese in U.S.

Likes (Received): 0

Man, I miss those enormous rest areas.

I guess when Taiwan builds its highway systems, they must take USA's interstate highway system as a template. I found that highways in the States look so familiar with Taiwan's. But, the rest area design is definitely not from US. Maybe from Japan? Anyone knows?

Last edited by cclo; August 12th, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
cclo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #25
cclo
A Taiwanese in U.S.

The Hsuehshan tunnel, although is not the longest one in the world, is certainly one of the toughest tunnel project in human history due to the unique local geological condition.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsuehshan_tunnel)
Quote:
While excavating the tunnel, engineers encountered difficult geological problems like fractured rock and massive inflows of water, which caused severe delays. One of the three TBMs on the westbound tunnel was buried by a ground collapse. In order to speed up the tunnel boring, an additional working interface in Interchange Station No. 2 (under Ventilation Shaft No. 2) was built. Along the tunnel alignment, there are six major faults, numerous fracture zones, and high-pressure groundwater. Hence, serious tunnel collapses with groundwater flooding took place periodically during tunnel construction. Altogether, 25 lives were lost during 15 years of construction.
Discovery channel made a great video about the tunnel. Highly recommended:

Man made marvels - Taiwan's Hsuehshan tunnel

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6vaAPkmcMA

part 2-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r0tN5mBw5I

part 2-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMZRKm4qfI

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAEeZocRNq8

part 4-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R-v7fsrq3Q

part 4-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeaggWYZfM

part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur6NGrEdhw0
cclo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #26
SungIEman

Those highways are pretty awesome, except large interchanges in taiwan just seems a bit.... wasteful. Taiwan barely has enough land as it is, and we're building complex highway interchanges and rest area on top of that. There has to be a more efficient way.
SungIEman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #27
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Impressive pictures.

I had been to the coastal drive on the east coast. The scenic is just superb along the road towards the Pacific. I would love to go back and visit again one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SungIEman View Post
Those highways are pretty awesome, except large interchanges in taiwan just seems a bit.... wasteful. Taiwan barely has enough land as it is, and we're building complex highway interchanges and rest area on top of that. There has to be a more efficient way.
Sometimes interchange just can't get small. Its design has to do with balance between safety, operation and land. Let says the interchange is build small to preserve more land, the outcome is ramps have a tighter radii. Tighter radii means slower movement/speed from highway to highway, it causes jam at the ramps due to the speed difference between the ramps and mainline. When jam occurs at mainline, it also leads to more and more rear-end crashes. On the other hands, when there is no jam, the interchange can provide free flow speed for travelers. If one driver doesn't realize the ramp is a sharp curve and maintains its high speed as on the mainline, it ends up in crashes.

So when you have two highways crossing each other and need to provide full access in all directions, it requires 8 ramps in place. It's hard, and almost not possible, to make the interchanges any smaller. There is a minimum radius for each ramp to provide a certain design speed in order to meet the safety and operation needs.
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #28
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

I didn't know about the Zhongnanshan tunnel in China. Still, this is the longest road tunnel with 2 tubes. Laerdal tunnel in Norway is still longer at 24 km, but I don't know for how long it will keep the record... Next thing you know, the Chinese will be digging under the Himalayas!
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #29
EL_AMERICANO
EL_AMERICANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post
Yes it is...most country use that signage. I dont think it has anything to do with US.
Um actually that's not true.. it does have to do with the u.s since all of Taiwan's highways are modeled after the u.s system... "The construction of the national highways began in 1971 and its design is heavily based on the American Interstate Highway System" Yeah..
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #30
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I didn't know about the Zhongnanshan tunnel in China. Still, this is the longest road tunnel with 2 tubes. Laerdal tunnel in Norway is still longer at 24 km, but I don't know for how long it will keep the record... Next thing you know, the Chinese will be digging under the Himalayas!

Uhh... this has two tubes, and is in Asia. I wish they would get rid of their non-standard pinyin in Taiwan (many examples on the highway signs), it's making things complicated just for the sake of political bitching. Yeah I know some prefer the Taiwan pinyin but fact is at least 100x more people use hanyu pinyin.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #31
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

When I first drove through the Gotthard Tunnel in the spring of 2000, it was still the longest road tunnel in the world... and I wasn't even aware of it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #32
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

A Dutch forumer went to Taiwan during the late summer, and took tons of pictures. I'll link them here. He went all over the island.

All pictures are in easy-browsing webalbums.

Freeway 2 and 1 Taipei

Highway 9 and 8 Hualien - Taroko NP

Highway 193 Hualien - Taroko

Highway 9 Taroko - Yilan

Highway 9 Yilan - Hualien

Highway 193,11, 11b, 9 Hualien - Taitung

Highway 26, 1, 17 Kenting - Linbian

Highway 26 Fonggang - Kenting

Freeway 3, expressway 86, freeway 1 Linbian - Tainan

Tainan city

Freeway 8 and 3 Tainan - Baihe

Highway 9 Taitung - Fonggang

Highway 175 and 172 Guanzhiling - Baihe

freeway 3 Baihe - Jhushan

Highway 3, 16, 21, 21a Jhushan - Sun Moon lake

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #33
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by SungIEman View Post
The (partial-)cloverleaf interchanges in the pictures above are larger in terms of land area, but less complex, than stack and turbine interchanges which could be used instead. While stacks and turbines are more expensive than cloverleaves because they require more levels, they can maintain a much higher speed on the ramps despite being smaller in size, as long turns are performed using 90-degree movements rather than 270-degree movements. Single-point urban interchanges (SPUIs) could be used for the first rest area, if traffic volumes are low enough not to require grade-separation on the minor roads.

And agreed, great looking freeways.

Last edited by deranged; January 26th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #34
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quite some dramatic weather in Taiwan. Over 2.5 METERS of rain fell in the south, causing bridges to collapse.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #35
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

0:29 :O
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #36
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 13234

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post

Uhh... this has two tubes, and is in Asia. I wish they would get rid of their non-standard pinyin in Taiwan (many examples on the highway signs), it's making things complicated just for the sake of political bitching. Yeah I know some prefer the Taiwan pinyin but fact is at least 100x more people use hanyu pinyin.
I wish it would be the other way round. China introduces the norml chinese chracters again and uses the transcription systems that were invented by free people and not the communists.

I'd like to read Chongnanshan-tunnel.
Chrissib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #37
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post
I wish it would be the other way round. China introduces the norml chinese chracters again and uses the transcription systems that were invented by free people and not the communists.

Even if China becomes democratic in the next two or three decades, I doubt that they'll ever go back to traditional characters or get rid of Hanyu Pinyin.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #38
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post

Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of the Chinese language? Hanyu pinyin phonetics are much closer to how its actually pronounced and creates less opportunities for confusion than the crap they used to use in Taiwan (even they switched to Hanyu Pinyin now). Traditional Chinese characters are nearly impossible to read on a computer screen with normal sized fonts (and much harder to hand-write), there is no use for extra complication for its own sake.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #39
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 13234

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of the Chinese language? Hanyu pinyin phonetics are much closer to how its actually pronounced and creates less opportunities for confusion than the crap they used to use in Taiwan (even they switched to Hanyu Pinyin now). Traditional Chinese characters are nearly impossible to read on a computer screen with normal sized fonts (and much harder to hand-write), there is no use for extra complication for its own sake.
So how come that Taiwan and Hongkong work very well with traditional characters?
Chrissib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #40
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

They spend a longer time learning the harder characters, obviously its a matter of preference but I'd rather not waste time remembering how to write a few ridiculously complex characters that are greatly simplified (this isn't even the worst example: Guang simplified 广 vs traditional 廣). It's only political because the KMT lost the civil war, in fact before they lost they planned to institute a program of simplification in mainland China when they were in control, but didn't have enough time to implement it. The Communists mostly followed their suggestions and the integrity of the language is mostly preserved (unlike some of the neighbors: traditional vs. Cyrillic Mongolian, traditional vs. French Vietnamese). In the end, who cares who invented what, it's whats best that matters. We don't ban anything German from the Nazi era just because they were Nazis, some of the technology produced during that time under Nazi rule was good and we still use it today, so your argument is utterly ridiculous.

Last edited by BarbaricManchurian; April 5th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.