daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #21
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14073

woooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #22
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 930

wow.. that's unique and beautiful...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #23
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Taken from the Gardens website:

http://www.gardensbythebay.org.sg/index.php

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM   #24
rich888

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity View Post
17 March 2008

It will be a magnificent view if a new huge 150 metre tall merlion can be built at the edge of the garden by the bay in between the two sea shells splashing or spitting water to the marina bay reservoir . That what u often see in garden rite? Greenery, fresh water pond and a fountain(merlion). It will be an everlasting Singapore icon like the statue of liberty in New York. Imagine u drive along the express way and u can see this huge merlion statue fountain with lighting effect at night. What a view from the Singapore Flyer as well. Definitely good Fengshui!!!! Now we can have a father merlion (Garden by the bay) guarding Singapore waterfront, a mother merlion nesting at Sentosa and a baby merlion playing at the finance centre waterfront.

Any designer here? can u do a artist perspective view drawing?
rich888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM   #25
nicholasliha
Pubescent Singaporean

Likes (Received): 4

erm. i think the merlion is an embarrassment to the country. its the ultimate expression of kitsch turned into nationalism; an invented myth that school children substitute real history for...

"Others are absolutely free; Singaporeans are absolutely not. Freedom is elsewhere." - Simon SC Tay, chairman of the Singapore Institute of International Affairs
nicholasliha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM   #26
RafflesCity
By Spirit

2 June 2009

Pics by wonuraimo

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #27
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Singapore is one of a city! Beautiful skyline, beautiful skyscrapers and beautiful gardens and parks.
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #28
RafflesCity
By Spirit

More construction pics from the official website:

Old August 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #29
burjdubai91
Visionary

Likes (Received): 96

beautiful project for singapore... When i went there I could really see the progress of these grand projects.... If only the people there were just as hospitable...

My 3D Design Thread
PD Architecture and 3D Visualization

My Portfolio
https://www.behance.net/ptrckdsign
burjdubai91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #30
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Yongnam clinches S$58m contract for structural steelworks project

24 Aug 09

SINGAPORE: Singapore-listed construction firm Yongnam Holdings said it has clinched a contract worth S$58 million.

The company has been appointed by Woh Hup as its direct sub-contractor for a project, undertaking the structural steelworks.

Under the terms, Yongnam will design, supply and construct structural steelworks for the construction of the key buildings in the 54 hectare Gardens at Marina South.

Works are expected to be completed next October.

Yongnam said the contract is expected to have a positive impact on its financial performance for the current financial year.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...000580/1/.html
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #31
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjdubai91 View Post
beautiful project for singapore... When i went there I could really see the progress of these grand projects.... If only the people there were just as hospitable...
I found the people in Singapore to be very hospitable. Before I went I had heard a lot about how strict everything was supposed to be - no littering, no chewing gum, don't mention politics etc. etc. etc. While some of it may be true, on the whole I found Singaporeans to be far less up tight than I expected. Every time I went through customs and immigration, I got a smile and had a friendly chat, and I had no fear in talking to the police on the street, asking for directions etc. By contrast, I found the people at customs and immigration in America to be really quite rude, almost nasty. And in many of the countries I've been to, I would not have the confidence to speak to the police to ask for directions or anything - they just look too threatening. Singapore is certainly no worse than other places, and is often better in many respects.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #32
magnifera.indica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I found the people in Singapore to be very hospitable. Before I went I had heard a lot about how strict everything was supposed to be - no littering, no chewing gum, don't mention politics etc. etc. etc. While some of it may be true, on the whole I found Singaporeans to be far less up tight than I expected. Every time I went through customs and immigration, I got a smile and had a friendly chat, and I had no fear in talking to the police on the street, asking for directions etc. By contrast, I found the people at customs and immigration in America to be really quite rude, almost nasty. And in many of the countries I've been to, I would not have the confidence to speak to the police to ask for directions or anything - they just look too threatening. Singapore is certainly no worse than other places, and is often better in many respects.

Except for some developing countries where police might try to make money out of you, I don't think anyone should be afraid in asking directions from the police. Its not like they are waiting for you to talk to them so they can arrest you.

Btw, in most places people are far more friendlier than in North America particularly U.S where they are particularly rude as you said. Don't know why. China, japan, singapore, malaysia, etc are all pretty welcoming at the customs. Same goes for most european nations unless you look like an african or indian in which case they are cautious but still not rude.

Nice garden btw. I love singapore.
magnifera.indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #33
Dancing Banana

Likes (Received): 277

wow the super threes made my day!
Dancing Banana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #34
burjdubai91
Visionary

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Yes, singapore is a beautiful place, with that I agree. What I'm just saying though is they should be hospitable to everyone. People from my nation, despite having the means, are treated quite rudely, especially when we enter immigration or browse through stores. People from first world nations aren't their only tourists. There were repeated times when I ask this nearby stall kindly about their goods, but was received with a gruff 'go away' or a shrug. I guess what I'm really saying is that its nice that singapore is attracting all these tourists with their beautiful developments, but they should also better improve their hospitality and do not discriminate their tourists. I'm proud to say that tourists in my country, though not as many as Singapore, are receives the best in hospitality coz that's what we Filipinos are known for... I guess this is starting to become a racist post, but I really had no intention of disuading people to go to singapore. It's a great place. Thats all...

My 3D Design Thread
PD Architecture and 3D Visualization

My Portfolio
https://www.behance.net/ptrckdsign
burjdubai91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #35
polojr

WOW!
Singapore really rules!
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #36
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Recent pics by 13oh5 (20 November 2009)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #37
RafflesCity
By Spirit

The model showing some the features of the Gardens

Marina East and Central portion

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #38
nononsense2011

Bay East was recently open with few fanfare but the view is simply fantastic! Do check it out
nononsense2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #39
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3262

The Gardens has officially opened. Here are some pictures and articles over the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith252 View Post
Quote:
Gardens by the Bay welcomes its one millionth visitor
By Alice Chia | Posted: 18 August 2012 2055 hrs

Thirty-three-year-old Valerie Sim (2nd from right), who was visiting Gardens by the Bay with 11 other family members, is the one millionth visitor.

SINGAPORE: Just seven weeks after its opening, Gardens by the Bay welcomed its one millionth visitor on Saturday.

The gardens have become a popular leisure spot for Singaporeans from all walks of life.

Some popular attractions are Dragonfly Lake, Heritage Gardens, the SuperTrees and Conservatories.

Thirty per cent of visitors so far have gone into the Conservatories, with Singaporeans making up three-quarters.

Thirty-three-year-old Valerie Sim, who was visiting the gardens with 11 other family members, is the one millionth visitor.

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan presented the sales and marketing executive with an annual family pass, a gift hamper and his personal gift of an iPad.

"(The place) is really pretty and nice, and the weather is really good to enjoy the scenic view," said Ms Sim.

- CNA/cc
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...220849/1/.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith252 View Post
Some pics I took of the part that is still incomplete from the Barrage on the 29th of August.

2012-08-29-01 by w3015r, on Flickr

2012-08-29-02 by w3015r, on Flickr

2012-08-29-03 by w3015r, on Flickr
Some pictures from flickr.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheishichiyo/7438458336/

BTW, ITS MY 4,400TH POST!!!

Last edited by Mith252; June 29th, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #40
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3262

Some videos posted in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
Published on Jun 27, 2012 by greenroofsTV (up to 720p)

Published on Jun 18, 2012 by GrantAssociates (up to 720p)

Published on Jun 25, 2012 by 137elaine (up to 720p)