daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #21
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

They're actually secret military barricades in case invading armies try to land troops in HK :Lol:

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #22
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Frankly I'm amazed at the number of apartment towers and complexes in Hong Kong. There are only 7 million people there!
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #23
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Yes, but probably about 6 million of those live in apartments such as that...?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #24
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Why do so many people adopt the high-rise lifestyle in HK? Are there any truly low-rise residential neighborhoods of any extent and significance?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #25
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Why do so many people adopt the high-rise lifestyle in HK? Are there any truly low-rise residential neighborhoods of any extent and significance?
Basically, HKers have no choice but live in highrise. With the limited of land we have, even where people consider "suburb," like Tseung Kwan O, Tuen Mun, Yuen Long, Tin Tsui Wai and so, are still full of highrise. And the buildings are getting higher than those older buildings closer to the CBD.

There are some multi-family houses in the villages in the New Territories and outlying islands. These are usually more expensive to live in then living in an apartment in the higher density area excluding the transportation cost due to the more remote location. People who live in those houses are more towards the more quite and less crowded living environment, but also affordable to do so.

Single-family houses do exist in HK, in area like the Mid-level, Southern District near Stanely, Fairview Garden in Yuen Long and a few more in HK.
But single-family houses in HK are extremely expensive, not everyone can afford to live in one.

Unlike many cities in the US, land value variation is not big enough so that buying a house is the same as an apartment. And it's even more expensive without sharing the cost.

A lot of HKers admire the life of living in their own family house with front and back yards like a lot of Americans do. But it just doesn't happen in HK.
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #26
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

There are also some "low-rise" neighborhoods, depending on your definition of low-rise. Many buildings do not have more than 10 stories, in older neighborhoods like Sham Shui Po, as well as upper middle class areas like Kowloon Tong.

There is one (afaik, maybe more) American like suburban development in the New Territories, called Fairview Park.

Kowloon Tong, along (I think) Waterloo Road:

image hosted on flickr

Sham Shui Po:

image hosted on flickr

I know its hard to imagine, but that's considered VERY low rise in HK!

Old August 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #27
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Hong Kong does offer affordable lowrises / village houses not far from the city centre. There are a number of them in Shatin already, which is a reasonable 45 minute commute. The outlying islands also have a lot of these lowrises, such as Cheung Chau and Lamma Island. However, for most people, the highrise is both home and office.

Many residents in the older low- to mid-rise neighborhoods such as To Kwa Wan and Sham Shui Po are very nervous of these new towering blocks being built so close to them. Unfortunately, some of these older residents are now face a concrete wall out their windows as these new skyscraper walls tend to sit on a multi-storey podium.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #28
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
They cost far, far more money.

A house on the island is out of the question - an average house in Red Hill, Tai Tam (row of houses, and probably the cheapest as far as houses on the Island go) will set you back at least HK$25m (just over US$3m), but usually these go for greater than HK$40m. Again, this is one of the cheapest for houses.

There are single houses are available in areas like Sai Kung, but then you need a car (Hong Kong has an 80% tax on cars), and these houses are again not all that cheap, costing about as much as a good sized apartment on the Island (about HK$8m-HK$16m, US$1-2m)
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #29
Vanaheim
'less is more'

They should built something like that, and add highway on the roof :

Vanaheim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #30
_00_deathscar

Shhh keept it quiet!

The inept Hong Kong Government may actually make that a serious proposal.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #31
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Naah .. it'll go up, not across. It takes up too much land to build horizontally.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #32
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

With any luck, they'll extend the Eastern Island Corridor onto the west side with those apartments, except they'll be thirty stories tall, and run right across the water front, with the new Western Corridor on top.

Old August 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #33
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
With any luck, they'll extend the Eastern Island Corridor onto the west side with those apartments, except they'll be thirty stories tall, and run right across the water front, with the new Western Corridor on top.
"Western Corridor" is already here and it's going under known as "Central-Wan Chai Bypass." The bypass connects with existing EIC in the east and Connaught Rd Overpass in the west with WCHT.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #34
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Shhh keept it quiet!

The inept Hong Kong Government may actually make that a serious proposal.
You better watch your language, boy. I hate that noise.

Last edited by Jim856796; March 11th, 2008 at 05:47 AM.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #35
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

The walls are one of the things that make HK unique!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM   #36
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

Yes, these things are unique and nice, they are so appealing to the transitory visitor, though, ultimately, its the locals who suffer. The urban crisis that Hong Kong faces is one that is sadly very justified to occur.

Such buildings are indeed the most economically feasible way to store the people of the city efficiently and attractively. In my opinion, nothing can be done to curb this problem. Legislation may be the only way to minimize further damage.

Last edited by Cliff; August 21st, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM   #37
hkskyline
Hong Kong

It's the locals who were there before these buildings went up that suffer. The occupants in these brand new buildings enjoy uninterrupted views of the whole city, so they're enjoying it definitely.

Luckily, the people are expressing their concerns and the government is slowly taking action following a public outcry. Ventilation corridors were proposed for a new development on Hong Kong Island's north shore recently.

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM   #38
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
It's the locals who were there before these buildings went up that suffer.
Hardly - it's anyone who's out on the street.
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM   #39
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Hardly - it's anyone who's out on the street.
During my walk in To Kwa Wan where two sets of these walls are located, the street life was still vibrant. The older neighborhoods still had street-level retail, and there was a lot of pedestrian activity. These buildings did not cast a shadow over the city below.

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM   #40
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
During my walk in To Kwa Wan where two sets of these walls are located, the street life was still vibrant. The older neighborhoods still had street-level retail, and there was a lot of pedestrian activity. These buildings did not cast a shadow over the city below.
Not a question of shadow, nor vibrancy.

Tis a question of heat developing because of lack of proper ventilation - hence why anyone out on the street suffers, but "locals" at home do not.

Tags
hong kong