daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2001
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
There is also Simplon pass and Bernina pass. Anyway if you want to go somewhere other than Switzerland itself then going through here is not a must. You could as easily go via Brenner pass or avoid alps altogether by taking a coastal highway from Genova to Marseille and then North through France.
Simplonpaß and Berninapaß are closed during winter as there is snow! And if we have to talk about all Alpine passes then there's also the Splügenpaß!

Infrastructures must be used at every day at every time!

Then, if I have to go to Frankfurt or Amsterdam which road I have to take? Do I have to pass through Brenner or via Geneva? It's obvious that everyone drive on the whole A2 from Mendrisio to Basel and then take the BAB5 when in Germany!

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2002
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Simplon-Sempione, Lucomagno-Lukmanier, Maloggia-Maloja, Giulia-Julier, Bernina and Pass dal Fuorn passes can be closed because of snow, but are kept open as much as possible because they are the only link between some villages and the rest of Switzerland (the Lucomagno less frequently because it has alternatives).

The Gotthard pass, as far I know, cannot be kept open all the winter not because it would be too expensive but because some parts are sometimes subjected to avalanche danger (that might be solved by building snowsheds).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #2003
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Ok, but I was talking about motorways or not so sinuous kantonstrasse.

To be honest, which is the person that has to drive through Switzerland and drives on Maloja or on Bernina? They are only roads of local/touristic interest.

But if we need a rapid transit through Switzerland there are no alternatives apart of Great Saint Bernard, Gotthard or Saint Bernardino.

Last edited by Fabri88; September 4th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2004
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

And of course the number of foreigners on them with inadequate winter protection getting stranded and gridlocking the entire area.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2005
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And of course the number of foreigners on them with inadequate winter protection getting stranded and gridlocking the entire area.
I agree!

Driving in winter, especially on such alpine passes, is not an easy thing to cope with!

Safeness always comes first!

Old September 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #2006
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Exactly! First of all there are alternative roads (Simplon and St Bernard) and second this won't happen before the commission of Gotthard base tunnel so there will be option to use a car shuttle as well. It will be inconvenient for sure, but that's kind of inevitable anyway.
When the Mont Blanc tunnel has been closed for 2.5 years for refurbishment nobody complained.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2007
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
When the Mont Blanc tunnel has been closed for 2.5 years for refurbishment nobody complained.
How do you know? This sounds a lot like conjecture. Furthermore, the Gotthard Tunnel carries substantially more traffic than the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2008
Road_UK
BANNED

Frejus is a good alternative.
Old September 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2009
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The Mont Blanc tunnel it's used to go from Aosta Valley to Geneva. Trucks and cars had only to drive some more kms passing through the Great Saint Bernard and driving on the north side of Lac Leman.

Aosta - Genève (MBT) 133km 1h32m: https://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Ao...t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Aosta - Genève (GSBT) 213km 2h38m: https://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Ao...sz=9&via=1&z=9

If Gotthard tunnel would close down it would cause many, many problems. More than the closure of Mont Blanc.

Old September 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2010
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
Simplonpaß and Berninapaß are closed during winter as there is snow! And if we have to talk about all Alpine passes then there's also the Splügenpaß!

Infrastructures must be used at every day at every time!

Then, if I have to go to Frankfurt or Amsterdam which road I have to take? Do I have to pass through Brenner or via Geneva? It's obvious that everyone drive on the whole A2 from Mendrisio to Basel and then take the BAB5 when in Germany!
The Splügenpass is to small and to "complicated" fo a "normal" tourist who is driving south and when you are in Splügen you use the San Bernardino motorway anyway.We were just talking about what can we do to avoid the Gotthard tunnel cause of the traffic problems there and my suggestion was to use the Grimsel and Nufenenpass where you can without any problems drive 80-90km/h.Imo this is even a better alternative then that what they always on radfio say to use the San Bernardino A13 instead of the A2
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #2011
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Freight traffic on the Brenner Route increased notably after Switzerland introduced the LSVA (truck tolls). The Swiss tolls are about double that of the Austrian tolls, and I've read that empty foreign truck still have to pay the full amount (40 tons).
Not entirely true. The Brenner/Tauern/Pyrhn/Arlberg routes crossing the alps have a higher toll for trucks than the baseline toll. However, the route between Kufstein and Brenner is very much shorter than the route from Basel to Chiasso such that - in combination with the Italian "discount" tolls, the Brenner route is cheaper than the Gotthard route. But that is caused by the Italians rather than the Austrians.

BTW, in Austria the truck tolls are based on the amount of axles of the truck, so an empty truck pays the same as a full one as well!

I also got the impression from what I've heard round here that the federal council decision is not accepted at all - it should be either expanded to 4 lanes or no second tube is built. A second tube with 2 additional lanes is actually considered possible according to some recent polls (a referendum to revise the former limit on expanding alp-crossion roads would be necessary). Those polls see a majority for the repeal of that ban - limited to the Gotthard route.

Finally, when one looks at the AADT data of the Gotthard tunnel, a 2nd tube wouldn't be necessary on average, it's just that there are those heavy traffic weekends which call for it. However, one must also bear in mind that a motorway in the flat Netherlands has a much different impact on the environment than in a narrow Alpine valley, something many people who haven't grown up in mountainous regions often tend to forget.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2012
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
Finally, when one looks at the AADT data of the Gotthard tunnel, a 2nd tube wouldn't be necessary on average, it's just that there are those heavy traffic weekends which call for it.
Well, the recent ASTRA data shows it's not just a matter of a few busy weekends anymore, but 50% of the days in a year.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2013
Road_UK
BANNED

Going via Brenner could also mean more mileage in Germany, which, as we know, also charges tolls for freight. And possibly more miles in Italy.
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2014
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Going via Brenner could also mean more mileage in Germany, which, as we know, also charges tolls for freight. And possibly more miles in Italy.
Cut out the "could": IT IS SO!!!

Brenner is good only from Northeast Italy! Trucks driving on the route Germany ←→ Northwest Italy (where the largest amount of Italian industries are located) have to pass through Gotthard (A2) / Saint Bernardino (A13) so through Switzerland!

Old September 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #2015
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Honestly I don't care too much about trucks. Those are professional drivers and they might as well drive a longer route if conditions require it. Sure it would add an euro or two for goods being shipped this way, but there are alternative ways to transport goods as well (train, ship) or one can also use less distant suppliers.

And by the way it's only 300 km longer to go to Amsterdam from Milan via Turin and Lyon vs Gotthard pass and Basel (1380 km vs 1070 km). No big deal for a tourist on an extra long drive anyway.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2016
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Honestly I don't care too much about trucks. Those are professional drivers and they might as well drive a longer route if conditions require it. Sure it would add an euro or two for goods being shipped this way, but there are alternative ways to transport goods as well (train, ship) or one can also use less distant suppliers.
It doesn't just wastefully increase the prices of the products we buy. The extra distance means more pollution, more road maintenance (higher taxes), and more accidents (including more deaths).

Quote:
And by the way it's only 300 km longer to go to Amsterdam from Milan via Turin and Lyon vs Gotthard pass and Basel (1380 km vs 1070 km). No big deal for a tourist on an extra long drive anyway.
No big deal??? For me at least, that's the difference between one day of driving and two days of driving.

BTW, via Geneva and Dijon is 1295 km and saves about 45 minutes compared to via Turin and Lyon, but it would still be a two day trip for me. Via Switzerland, I could drive Milan to Amsterdam in one day.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2017
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
No big deal??? For me at least, that's the difference between one day of driving and two days of driving.

BTW, via Geneva and Dijon is 1295 km and saves about 45 minutes compared to via Turin and Lyon, but it would still be a two day trip for me. Via Switzerland, I could drive Milan to Amsterdam in one day.
True, but you are a very unusual case. Usually people driving so far are on vacation and not in a great hurry. Those who don't have extra time fly. I'm pretty sure flying would be cheaper as well.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2018
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
True, but you are a very unusual case.
I concede that I'm not representative of the most typical driver on the roads, but I challenge the assertion that I represent a "very unusual case." I believe I represent a slightly unusual case, but I might be wrong about that.

Quote:
Usually people driving so far are on vacation and not in a great hurry. Those who don't have extra time fly. I'm pretty sure flying would be cheaper as well.
It depends on how many persons are in the vehicle and how much stuff they are carrying. Consider also the cost of renting a car at the destination, which is very expensive in Europe and often exceeds the airfare.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2019
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
True, but you are a very unusual case. Usually people driving so far are on vacation and not in a great hurry. Those who don't have extra time fly. I'm pretty sure flying would be cheaper as well.
Flying from Milan to Amsterdam is cheaper if you are only in one or two person on a car and, overall, if you are going only to Amsterdam nd you don't want/have to go in other Dutch or Belgian towns.

Then I totally agree with Mcarling. Those are the three alternatives on the Milan - Amsterdam route:

Normal route (via Gotthard and so Switzerland, paying only the 40CHF/100CHF Vignette) 1078 km: https://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Mi...a=ls&z=6&via=1

Route via France 1276 km (and with Italian and very expensive French toll): https://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Mi...sz=9&via=1&z=6

Route via Austria 1321 km (with Italian toll, Austrian vignette and Europabrücke toll): https://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Mi...sz=6&via=1&z=6

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2020
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, the recent ASTRA data shows it's not just a matter of a few busy weekends anymore, but 50% of the days in a year.
AADT at Gotthard is 17.100 cars/24 hrs (1510 trucks/24 hrs) in 2010.
http://www.astra.admin.ch/verkehrsda...x.html?lang=de

The number of traffic jam days is indeed around 40% by now, but this is useless without the length of the delays, which won't be available before the 2012 reports.

If you ask me, I agree that a 2nd tube at Gotthard should be built, but many people disagree. Which is their good right. But anyway, I guess there'll be a referendum about the case within two years (including the possibility of a 4-lane-extension). Just my two cents.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz