daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The cost of fuel and tolls actually decrease if you travel with more people, while it only goes up if you travel by train or airline. People only fly to destinations that are out of reasonable driving range. Many people pick their vacation spot that's within reasonable driving range, usually 1.5 days or less.

Switzerland actually benefits from through travel too, because for instance for many Dutch people it is a perfect intermediate stop on their way to Italy. Hotels in central Switzerland can do good business, although they are generally quite expensive.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2022
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The cost of fuel and tolls actually decrease if you travel with more people, while it only goes up if you travel by train or airline. People only fly to destinations that are out of reasonable driving range. Many people pick their vacation spot that's within reasonable driving range, usually 1.5 days or less.

Switzerland actually benefits from through travel too, because for instance for many Dutch people it is a perfect intermediate stop on their way to Italy. Hotels in central Switzerland can do good business, although they are generally quite expensive.

I agree! This summer many Dutch firends of mine came to my house with their own car and obviously they drove through Switzerland!

Two of them stopped at Engelberg (Obwalden) for some days in the mountains. Swiss hotels quite expensive? I think "quite" is a too soft adjective: they are freaking expensive!

Hotels in Germany cost far far less than Swiss ones!

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2023
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

OK, I downgrade it to merely non-common.

Vast majority of cars on the road are people commuting to and from work, performing work related tasks, visiting friends nearby, for shopping etc. Just look at the license numbers of cars. For example, here in Basel anything other than Swiss, German (from the closest two bundeslands) and French are rather rare. I would estimate at no more than 1/50 (significantly more in heavily touristy areas).
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2024
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post

Vast majority of cars on the road are people commuting to and from work, performing work related tasks, visiting friends nearby, for shopping etc. Just look at the license numbers of cars. For example, here in Basel anything other than Swiss, German (from the closest two bundeslands) and France are rather rare. I would estimate at no more than 1/50 (significantly more in heavily touristy areas).
Plates on Italian roads are mostly Swiss, German, Dutch, French and British. But we never get surprised when seeing plates coming from (North)Eastern Europe or trucks from Turkey or Spain/Portugal.

I only got surprised when I saw a truck with Iranian plate and a motorbike with Norwegian plate.

Then, for people living in northern Italy is more rare to see southern Italian plates rather than see a Swiss or a German one!

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2025
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
Plates on Italian roads are mostly Swiss, German, Dutch, French and British. But we never get surprised when seeing plates coming from (North)Eastern Europe or trucks from Turkey or Spain/Portugal.

I only got surprised when I saw a truck with Iranian plate and a motorbike with Norwegian plate.
I don't get surprised either. After all even 1/50 is not THAT rare. I'm yet to see anything more distant that Russia, though.

By the way from the less common number plates Dutch are probably the most likely to be seen.
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #2026
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm glad we're able to agree on that.

Quote:
Vast majority of cars on the road are people commuting to and from work, performing work related tasks, visiting friends nearby, for shopping etc. Just look at the license numbers of cars. For example, here in Basel anything other than Swiss, German (from the closest two bundeslands) and French are rather rare. I would estimate at no more than 1/50 (significantly more in heavily touristy areas).
The context was the Gottard Tunnel, no? I don't think you believe that the "Vast majority of cars on the road" through the Gottard Tunnel "are people commuting to and from work, performing work related tasks, visiting friends nearby, for shopping etc." Perhaps I'm confused?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #2027
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The context was the Gottard Tunnel, no? I don't think you believe that the "Vast majority of cars on the road" through the Gottard Tunnel "are people commuting to and from work, performing work related tasks, visiting friends nearby, for shopping etc." Perhaps I'm confused?
Sorry, of course now I meant regular roads and motorways near any sizable town.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #2028
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

IF the Swiss have problem with truck traffic, than re-do the law to limit with dynamic lanes truck traffic without interfering with car traffic.

Cars now pollute, per km-driven, 40-60% less than when that hideous law was passed in 1997.
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2029
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
IF the Swiss have problem with truck traffic, than re-do the law to limit with dynamic lanes truck traffic without interfering with car traffic.

Cars now pollute, per km-driven, 40-60% less than when that hideous law was passed in 1997.
Which law is there in CH?

Old September 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2030
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Costituzione federale della Confederazione Svizzera > Art. 84 Transito alpino
http://www.admin.ch/ch/i/rs/101/a84.html

Legge federale del 17 giugno 1994 concernente il transito stradale nella regione alpina (LTS)
http://www.admin.ch/ch/i/rs/c725_14.html

Legge federale del 19 dicembre 2008 concernente il trasferimento dalla strada alla ferrovia del traffico merci pesante attraverso le Alpi (Legge sul trasferimento del traffico merci, LTrasf)
http://www.admin.ch/ch/i/rs/c740_1.html

(every text in German/French/Italian)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2031
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Are you a Swiss Italian speaker?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2032
Coccodrillo

yes, but I speak also French quite well (reading and writing nearly as easily as in Italian) - but not so much German (I cannot write and speak it easily, reading is more easy, but I am improving myself in my free time). At school I studied French, German and English on the same school year, but later I swapped German with Spanish. And I didn't went to a linguistic school, just a normal one - living in a multilingual country is a challenge but also a great opportunity.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2033
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Well done. My home languages are English and Dutch, as my dad is English and my mum is Dutch. On top of that I speak German and a little French.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2034
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Knowing your languages is a great asset in my opinion.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2035
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Are you a Swiss Italian speaker?
As far as I know, Coccodrillo is from Ticino, so (s)he's an Italian mother tongue!

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #2036
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
yes, but I speak also French quite well (reading and writing nearly as easily as in Italian) - but not so much German (I cannot write and speak it easily, reading is more easy, but I am improving myself in my free time). At school I studied French, German and English on the same school year, but later I swapped German with Spanish. And I didn't went to a linguistic school, just a normal one - living in a multilingual country is a challenge but also a great opportunity.
Are you Claudio Castagnoli?

Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2037
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

The parliament of the canton of Bern has approved the height increase of the dam wall at the Grimselpass by 23 m. The road would have to be realigned near the Hospiz.
Environmental organisations have already announced to appeal against it...

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #2038
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Environmentalists are against everything. Coal power plant? too dirty. Nuclear energy? too dangerous. Wind turbines? Disturbing and a threat to birds. Hydropower? Too destructive.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Heico-M liked this post
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2039
Coccodrillo

That's already good that 55% of our electricity production/need is by hydropower, although if it can be increased it's only better. 40% is nuclear and 5% others (wind, solar, waste burning).

(similar percentages in Austria with thermal instead of nuclear)

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2040
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
The parliament of the canton of Bern has approved the height increase of the dam wall at the Grimselpass by 23 m. The road would have to be realigned near the Hospiz.
Environmental organisations have already announced to appeal against it...

Wow,thats looks pretty weird,but also very interesting
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz