daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #2081
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle

There are no such problems with the Gotthard or other necessary road projects in Switzerland. A second Gotthard tube is perfectly possible, both technically and financially. The truckers pay enough tolls in Switzerland to finance a new tube every three years. A widening of several parts of the A1 is also perfectly possible.

Nobody's talking about building motorways through every valley of the Alps, but the few links that do exist are simply too weak and unreliable now. If a train was as unreliable as the Gotthard route, there would be immense political outcry over it. There is only one motorway-standard route through the Alps (Brenner Autobahn) to connect a country of 82 million and a country of 60 million with Switzerland and Austria in between, and if they like it or not, people and goods will be moved to and through them. It's much better to strengthen existing links than building new links. That includes the A2.
They shot down Tauernautobahn or did I miss something?

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2082
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The Karawanken Tunnel is still single tube, but you can turn off and reach Italy by 4-lane motorways indeed. Austria definitely has the best links through the Alps.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2083
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I like the French links as well, but expensive for some.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2084
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Karawanken Tunnel is still single tube, but you can turn off and reach Italy by 4-lane motorways indeed. Austria definitely has the best links through the Alps.
By 2019 there'll be three 4+ lanes transalp connections as the last tunnel of the A9 will receive it's second tube.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2085
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
By 2019 there'll be three 4+ lanes transalp connections as the last tunnel of the A9 will receive it's second tube.
I think for the easternmost part you could also include S6 and A2, although it's not the highest region any more. The engineers would certainly consider those routes as mountainous roads .

The Wallisellen area could be mightily enhanced by a different traffic management system I think. There is that split such that the highway entrance joins the middle of the road. The two right lanes lead to the Northern bypass/Gubrist tunnel while the two left lanes lead to Zurich City. There is always lots of congestion in the entrance during rush hour as many people need to change lanes from the relatively free-flowing left lanes to the jammed up right lanes towards Bern/Basel/Airport. This completely messes up the entrance area. What I would do is making the pre-sorting before Wallisellen exit on A1 westbound mandatory to avoid traffic-jam-jumping on the Zurich-bound lanes by blocking lane changes between lanes 1/2 and lanes 3/4 between Wallisellen entrance and Zurich East interchange. Traffic from Dübendorf/Wallisellen towards Bern/Basel I would route via Neugutstrasse to the freeway entrance near Glattzentrum. The junctions there would need a little enhancement and a small expansion to the entrance, but otherwise that would be a cheap solution IMHO.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #2086
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I agree with Road_UK, not fully but mostly. Most here only consider transit: "How do I get the fastest to Italy via the alps". But there are hundreds of thousands of people living along these corridors and they have legitimate interests too.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2087
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
I agree with Road_UK, not fully but mostly. Most here only consider transit: "How do I get the fastest to Italy via the alps". But there are hundreds of thousands of people living along these corridors and they have legitimate interests too.
It all depends on where you are!

I know that from Italy to Germany the fastest way is Brennerpaß but from Busto Arsizio (Milan) the best route you can do it's passing through Switzerland on A2 + A13 + Vorarlberg + BAB96!

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2088
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Ausserorts mit 174 km/h geblocht

GLARUS - GL - Die Glarner Kantonspolizei hat heute eine Tempokontrolle durchgeführt. Bei einem Raser hätte fast die Anzeige ausgesetzt.

Mit 174 Stundenkilometern ist heute Vormittag ein Autofahrer von der Glarner Kantonspolizei geblitzt worden. Erlaubt gewesen wären auf der Ortsumfahrung von Rüti GL die üblichen 80 Stundenkilometer.

Damit war der Raser doppelt so schnell unterwegs wie erlaubt.

Die Polizei hatte eine Routine-Geschwindigkeitskontrolle durchgeführt. Sie stoppte den Raser sofort und nahm ihm den Fahrausweis auf der Stelle ab. (SDA/snx)

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/ost...id2027253.html

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #2089
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88
Ausserorts mit 174 km/h geblocht

GLARUS - GL - Die Glarner Kantonspolizei hat heute eine Tempokontrolle durchgeführt. Bei einem Raser hätte fast die Anzeige ausgesetzt.

Mit 174 Stundenkilometern ist heute Vormittag ein Autofahrer von der Glarner Kantonspolizei geblitzt worden. Erlaubt gewesen wären auf der Ortsumfahrung von Rüti GL die üblichen 80 Stundenkilometer.

Damit war der Raser doppelt so schnell unterwegs wie erlaubt.

Die Polizei hatte eine Routine-Geschwindigkeitskontrolle durchgeführt. Sie stoppte den Raser sofort und nahm ihm den Fahrausweis auf der Stelle ab. (SDA/snx)

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/ost...id2027253.html
English please, at least a brief translation.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2090
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

A guy got clocked doing 174 instead of the permitted 80 limit at a routine speed check in the Glarus area today. License lost on the spot.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2091
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
I'm wondering if a Baden - Winterthur motorway (further north) isn't a better idea. That way you can bypass the Zürich area completely.
That idea isn't new. It's actually even part of the project plan of the canton.

I doubt it would solve the problems around the city. It would just help those that bypass the whole algomeration.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #2092
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Two videos about the completion of the Eyholz tunnel (A9, in French). The nearby Visp tunnel may open one way because of appeals and geological problems (it is composed of two tubes and is Y shaped, with two branches on the eastern end; one tube and one branch were opened in 1997 with two way traffic, so I suppose this will first be converted to an Y shaped eastbound tunnel). Works on another 4 km mainly cut and cover tunnel, called Bois de Finges in the first video, still has to start with a new project. Complete opening of the A9 will be in 2019 or later.

http://www.rts.ch/video/info/journal...-d-eyholz.html

http://www.rts.ch/video/info/journal...-d-eyholz.html

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2093
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
This takes too long I dont know what´s the problem of using a shuttletrain or a ferry,its a part of travelling and much more relaxing then spending your vacation time in traffic jams
Shuttle trains take relatively a lot of time, if you consider their average speed, time for loading/unloading, queues at the gates etc. And personally I'd prefer doing an hour in a traffic jam than wasting 2 hours in such a train.

For long distances those shuttles aren't a normal alternative anyway. I've heard (trucker) collegues that used to use the Freiburg - Novara cargo train. 16 hours (during night) in a dirty train, no restaurant, you're forced to sleep with a few 'collegues' (that haven't seen a shower in weeks) in a small cabin and the train is too noisy to be able to sleep anyway...

Ferries are different. I can enjoy a 2-hour ferry to England for instance, I can even enjoy a 3-minute river crossing. Still, if there'd be an alternative road connection, I'd use that.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2094
Coccodrillo

on the Novara-Freiburg RoLa at least there are "new"* coaches now

*well, not new, but heavily refurbished

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2095
Coccodrillo

Voters in Ticino approved by 51% a new half-junction (to/from the south only) to be built between Bellinzona Nord and Bellinzona Sud on the A2, to be precise here:

http://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Bellinz...icino&t=h&z=18

As obvious, the percentage of "yes" is proportional to the distance to the junction: the more far the voters live, the less they accept a project, a common problem with referendums. It's curious to note that Biasca voted in favor although its residents will not be able to used it, as the junction is only accessible from the south. Giubiasco is the municipality where most traffic to Bellinzona passes trough, and so will be relieved by the new junction, that's explain the 81% of "yes". The road the new junction will be connected with will be enlarged to 4 lanes over a distance of 500 metres.

Bellinzona
52,6% sì 47,4% no

Lugano
47% sì 53% no

Locarno
45,5% sì 54,5% no

Mendrisio
43,5% sì 56,5% no

Chiasso
39,8% sì 60,2% no

Biasca
53,9% sì 46,1% no

Giubiasco
81,1% sì 18,9% no

(I voted in favour of it, by the way, but I thought it wouldn't have been accepted)

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2096
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 through Bern has been widened to 2x3 lanes via the recent renovations. It's the A6-A12 section along the northern side of the city. The shoulder has been replaced by a driving lane.
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2097
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It's already been 2×3.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #2098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You're right. I only drove there during roadworks. Weird, a friend of mine who has a second home at the French-Swiss border and drives there often said it's been widened...

The Felsenauviadukt was constructed in 1975. I wonder if it had 2x3 lanes from the beginning or if a shoulder was converted to a driving lane later. According to Google Earth imagery, it's been 2x3 since at least 2002.
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2099
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Austria definitely has the best links through the Alps.
+1
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2100
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Thats just plain selfish NIMBY shit. Imagine that Bayern or Baden-Württemberg would have an attitude like that, half of Europe would have been living in the economic stone ages. The Swiss deserve to suffer with their 'we only care about ourselfs' attitude.

Tags
schweiz