daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2281
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Swiss "Autobahnvignette" will cost CHF 100.-- after 2015. A 2 month vignette for tourists will be available for CHF 40.--
Source
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #2282
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

40 CHF for an annual vignette was a joke anyway. Good thing they kept a short-term vignette though.

I still think a vignette is pretty much symbolic policy. The annual revenue is not that great (raising the fuel tax by a few rappen would create the same revenue). I think it's chiefly to appease critics that foreign motorists don't pay for using the roads.

The annual revenue from the vignettes is only about € 230 million, which is quite small compared to other sources of income from motorists (chiefly fuel taxes).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #2283
mariusvonbucovina

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
As Switzerland is a member of the Schengen Agreement, there shouldn't be any waiting at all.

Yes, Switzerland is a Schengen-agreement member state, but they are not in EU. This means free movement of persons, but not free movement of goods.

So, they use the reason to check the trunks to also check the documents. And if you have a suspect (in their eyes) licence plate, they will for sure stop and check everything.
On major routes, you might spend some time at check points. If you have local knowledge, on local routes there's no checking, they even dismantled the booths.
mariusvonbucovina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2284
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
40 CHF for an annual vignette was a joke anyway. Good thing they kept a short-term vignette though.

I still think a vignette is pretty much symbolic policy. The annual revenue is not that great (raising the fuel tax by a few rappen would create the same revenue). I think it's chiefly to appease critics that foreign motorists don't pay for using the roads.

The annual revenue from the vignettes is only about € 230 million, which is quite small compared to other sources of income from motorists (chiefly fuel taxes).
In Austria, all monies taken is used by ASFINAG for the maintenance of their motorways...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2285
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvonbucovina View Post
And if you have a suspect (in their eyes) licence plate, they will for sure stop and check everything.
They will not check anyone just for fun or as a chicanery. That's not the way our authorities work.

marius_NE liked this post
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #2286
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
In Austria, all monies taken is used by ASFINAG for the maintenance of their motorways...
Yes, but the bulk of the Austrian motorways were completed before the vignette era (which started in 1997). There is no way they could have financed the current network with vignettes as it exists today.

The same goes for Switzerland. Considering they have some expensive projects (A9 & A16) they need more income if other sources are not politically feasible, so the Swiss raising the vignette price is understandable.

Additionally, Switzerland could spend some more money on motorway maintenance. There are quite a few stretches with poor concrete pavement quality which generates an uncomfortable ride, plus a lot of road noise (usually a hot issue in local politics).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2287
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, but the bulk of the Austrian motorways were completed before the vignette era (which started in 1997). There is no way they could have financed the current network with vignettes as it exists today.
In the end it's supposed to be. The whole Asfinag story started in 1982, when the government tried to get rid of some public debt (as it's often done with governments only on paper of course). So they founded Asfinag, gave a federal warranty for credits taken up by Asfinag, and paid for the building of the motorway system with Asfinag money - this of course never showed up on the federal debt sheets (Asfinag received some money from the mineral oil tax until about 1990). In 1997, Asfinag was morphed into a quasi-private enterprise and is now supposed to pay back its debts from vignette and truck toll income until 2040 - of course including the debt incurred between 1984 and 1997, when they didn't have any income. If those repayments weren't there, they would operate at about 300M EUR profit and could build much faster and much more!
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2288
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

So, technically ASFINAG is a company in depth?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2289
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

debt?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #2290
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvonbucovina View Post
Yes, Switzerland is a Schengen-agreement member state, but they are not in EU. This means free movement of persons, but not free movement of goods.

So, they use the reason to check the trunks to also check the documents. And if you have a suspect (in their eyes) licence plate, they will for sure stop and check everything.
On major routes, you might spend some time at check points. If you have local knowledge, on local routes there's no checking, they even dismantled the booths.
I caught the train from Zurich to Munich when I was there in 2006 (beautiful part of the world by the way, you Swiss are very lucky) and I remember customs officials boarding the train and checking our passports. One guy who was dressed like a hippy was searched by the police too. Is that common?
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2291
mariusvonbucovina

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I caught the train from Zurich to Munich when I was there in 2006 (beautiful part of the world by the way, you Swiss are very lucky) and I remember customs officials boarding the train and checking our passports. One guy who was dressed like a hippy was searched by the police too. Is that common?
Switzerland joined Schengen area in December 2008 only.
mariusvonbucovina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2292
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

A video made by local NIMBYs (including some municipalities) complaining to the proposed Morges bypass on the A1. The dotted parts would be in tunnel, around 7 km out of 14. These tunnels would be under fields away from buildings.

http://www.24heures.ch/vaud-regions/...story/21525546

Only two sections of new motorway will open this year, in Autumn: one on the A16, and the Serrières tunnel on the A5 near Neuchâtel, each no more than 4 km long.

edit:

a press release: http://www.astra.admin.ch/autobahnsc...x.html?lang=fr (only in French)

a drawing: http://www.astra.admin.ch/php/module...2bpYbqjKaypeg- (the chosen variant is the third, dotted parts are in tunnel)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by Coccodrillo; March 11th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2293
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A video made by local NIMBYs (including some municipalities) complaining to the proposed Morges bypass on the A1. The dotted parts would be in tunnel, around 7 km out of 14. These tunnels would be under fields away from buildings.
Did I get this right, they do not want the bypass and additionally they want to remove two lanes of A1 through Morges??????? Not even NIMBYs can be THAT ridiculous, can they?
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #2294
Coccodrillo

From http://www.autoroutedemorges.ch/une-...s-propositions

* complete an interchange, I suppose n.16
* reduce max speed to reduce conegstion and pollution
* improve public transport, car sharing and slow transports (walking and cycling)
* more flexible work tiems, and working from home via computer

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #2295
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T View Post
They will not check anyone just for fun or as a chicanery. That's not the way our authorities work.

but at the moment the controls are getting more to keep the shopping traffic and importing of goods unter control.

Thanks to the strong Franken

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #2296
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

According to a newspaper report I read the EU is asking Switzerland to implement short term vignette options (e.g. one week/month).
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #2297
Coccodrillo

A 2 month vignette for 40 CHF is apparently confirmed together with the increase from 40 to 100 CHF for the yearly one.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2298
Coccodrillo

A traffic light with a diagonal arrow, the only one I know showing such direction (usually they shown left, left and straight, straight, straight and right, right, and very rarely left, straight and right).

[IMG]http://i45.************/2l9o189.jpg[/IMG]

It is the red dot below, and intended to tell that on the lane below the traffic light one can only turn left, but not on the first road because it's one-way.

[IMG]http://i50.************/n2ia0h.jpg[/IMG]

On Google Maps: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Lugano...o,+Ticino&z=19

Edit: I have found the opening date for A2 Chiasso-Mendrisio: 22 December 1966.

Last edited by Coccodrillo; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2299
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

I think there are more arrows like that.

Here a diagonal in Winterthur that also has a bottom-left arrow:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.49...90.68,,1,-0.85

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com

earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2300
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

I could find 100 of those in Zurich. They are everywhere.

http://maps.google.ch/maps?hl=de&ll=...,71.06,,1,1.71

eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz