daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #2361
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Is the Passo Novena opened as well?

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:06 AM   #2362
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

No it isn't.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:49 PM   #2363
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

There is a huge amount of precipitation in the central Alps this weekend, especially the Nordseite with 100 - 150 mm of rain (snow at elevations over 2000 m) which means some passes will remain closed for a while.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2364
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Weather's been horrible anywhere in the Alps. Sunshine starts at Lake Garda.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2365
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Better be, tomorrow I'm going there for a hiking-gastronomy happening in Tremosine
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM   #2366
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Hope you have a great time, and don't trott on any Tyrolians escaping the bad weather here. I'm sure there are a few of those around, most of Innsbruck are usually down there in the summer.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #2367
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The artificial tunnel part of the Poya bridge in Fribourg-Freiburg:
I'm glad I found this on Google Maps-- it's pretty epic (is that to be an underground intersection?). Check it out: http://goo.gl/maps/IvQxm . Be sure to pan eastward the the project's other end, too.

Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:47 AM   #2368
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That looks pretty cool indeed. I assume they don't want transit traffic by the cathedral any more?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:18 AM   #2369
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is a huge amount of precipitation in the central Alps this weekend, especially the Nordseite with 100 - 150 mm of rain (snow at elevations over 2000 m) which means some passes will remain closed for a while.
The Gotthard pass has been closed again yesterday because of snow. By the way, 5 km/1 hour queue northbound yesterday at 22.30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That looks pretty cool indeed. I assume they don't want transit traffic by the cathedral any more?
I think the road near the Cathedral will be completely closed to private traffic (and reserved to pedestrians, buses and emergency vehicles). The new bridge and partially the tunnel will have four lanes, 2+1 for the road and one for bikes and pedestrians.

And yes, there will be an underground roundabout, but just under the surface: nothing like the undersea junctions the Norwegians like so much!

edit: a video: http://www.fr.ch/poya/fr/pub/film.htm (clic on Le film du projet Poya, 150 MB)

Did I linked the variants for the A13 missing link before?

http://www4.ti.ch/fileadmin/DT/temi/...one_080610.pdf

They plan a two tubes 1+1 tunnel for 40.000 vehicles per day. Usually I don't like new roads or widenings but single lane tubes in this case are madness, even for me. But I know that the only alternative will be do nothing.

And the alternative road on the other side of the plain isn't easily reachable: beside the N13, there is only a single lane road (a single lane in total, not 1+1): https://maps.google.ch/maps?saddr=Al...1,0&sz=17&z=14

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by Coccodrillo; June 2nd, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2370
Coccodrillo

A new bypass around 4 km long will be built to skip two villages west of Lugano, evaluated at 133 million CHF. Two short cut&cover tunnels will be built, 500 and 250 m, and a third one might follow to allow lengthening of the airport runway. Opening will be in stages from 2018 to 2022.

Yesterday in a cantonal referendum voters refused by 53% a "proposal" to build this bypass in a long tunnel (under the mountains west of the green road below) rather than mainly on surface. However, this tunnel was not financed at all, had no chance o receive federal funds, was evaluated at 1 billion CHF (it would have been longer, roughly from the Sudacciai roundabout to the north until the Italian border near Ponte Tresa) and was useless for most of the traffic (which goes from the "Piano di Agno" tunnel to Lugano via the "Agnuzzo" roundabout, or to other local destinations). Still the approved project has too many roundabouts in my opinion.

More far in the future two shorter tunnels (1.3 and 2.2 km) may link the approved road to Ponte Tresa and Italy.

The tunnel proposal was promoted by a local political party for electoral reasons, and had no chance of being built before 2050 (planning of the finally approved red route below started in around 1985). Even the cantonal minister of infrastructure and transportation, belonging to the same party, opposed that tunnel because he know perfectly that such proposal was utopian.

https://maps.google.ch/?ll=45.995665...01929&t=m&z=16

Map:

[IMG]http://i43.************/1eaq0z.jpg[/IMG]

Another road was approved yesterday to bypass Brugg in Aargau canton, but I don't know more about that.

Vaud, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #2371
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Overlapping stretch of A1 and A2 between Rothrist and Härkingen, heading to Bern
Pics taken June 2013

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #2372
Coccodrillo

The Novena-Nufenen Pass reopened today. The highest snow walls are 9 m tall. Note the curious vehicle in the second photo.

Source: http://www.cdt.ch/ticino-e-regioni/c...e-di-neve.html

Verso, Deadeye Reloaded, KB335ci2 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2373
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I wanna drive there (possibly with the vehicle in the second photo ).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2374
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Is that the last drivable pass to open this year?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2375
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

The Susten Pass is still closed. That is usually the last pass to open, possibly because it is on the northern side with steep slopes that pose an avalanche danger.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #2376
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Question to the Swiss:

Yesterday was a bad accident between Wallisellen and Winterthur. (both ZH)

i think there where 2 cars involved. One you couldn´t see cause of a tent arround.
Or maybe it was one car and someone got out and they made a tent ... i don´t know.

Of course this should be a screen to protect the victim ?! There is no other thing it could be, but when it goes for every minute, do they have time to build a tent around?

and is that common in Switzerland ?

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #2377
Coccodrillo

Some more photos and a short video of the Novena-Nufenen: http://info.rsi.ch/home/channels/inf...o-della-Novera

Old June 16th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2378
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hi, I have a question of Swiss Roads:

- Why San Gotardo Tunnel was constructed only with a one tube in 1980 and not with a two parallel tubes? (like all motorways)

- And there is another one tube tunnel in Switzerland inside of a motorway road?
(I hope you understand me, my english is not the best)
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2379
Coccodrillo

Hi

1) the expected traffic wasn't enough for a 2+2 tunnel, and initially a tunnel wasn't planned at all (that's why there are two roads leading to the pass from the south, the very old one and the one of the 1950s/1960s)
it is normal in Switzerland to build infrastructures or public buildings exactly sized for the planned level of traffic, to reduce cost and ease their approval by referendum (the two metro/light rail lines in Lausanne are partially single track and undersized because of that, even if transport engineers that designed them were perfectly aware that the design capacity would have not been sufficient)
by the way, the pass (and massif) name is San Gottardo in Italian and Sankt Gotthard in German (and Saint Gothard in French, with a "T" less)

2) there are sections of Autostrasse, that basically are like motorways but with one lane per direction, lower speed limit and sometimes permitted overtakings; for example sections of the A4, A8, A13 and A16
for example this section of the A4 will have three two lane tunnels one after the other
the A16 is being built with most tunnels with two lanes only to save money, but sections outside tunnels (and some shorter tunnels) will be 2+2 to allow overtaking; each two lane tunnel is designed with space reserved for a second tube if it is needed in the future

javimix19 liked this post
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #2380
Coccodrillo

A new fund for roads is being planned: http://www.news.admin.ch/message/ind...e&msg-id=49444

Beside the increased vignette price (from 40 to 100 CHF) the fuel would raise by about 15 cents per litre.

A small bit of that fund would be used for urban traffic, including the non motorized and public ones, but for only about 5% or so of the annual spending. Between 3 and 4 billion CHF would come out from this fund annually. It will likely have to be approved by voters (the referendum against the vignette price increase found enough signatures, and the vote on that will be held in spring 2014 at the latest).

Another small bit of the A16 will open on November 5th (the Graitery tunnel), citizens will be able to visit this tunnel this Saturday walking or by bicycle. The only other bit of motorway opening this year will be the 800 m Serrières tunnel on the A5 (replacing a substandard section on surface).

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Tags
schweiz