daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #2521
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

A pointless project, IMHO. One should either decide if to prioritize public transport (doing nothing on roads), either improve roads. But building a new motorway (in tunnel) with partially the same number of lanes is just wasting money. If they don't want a full 3+3 Ostring-Saali tunnel with shoulder, they should at least build it as 2+2 with a full width shoulder, so as to convert it into a standard lane if necessary.

As for now, the only real improvement would be around the Seidenberg tunnel (from 2+2 to 3+3), but it's only 1 km. The old 2+2 motorway would be converted into a 2-lane city road.

More infos in German:

http://www.astra.admin.ch/autobahnsc...x.html?lang=de

http://www.astra.admin.ch/autobahnsc...x.html?lang=de

On Google Maps: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Bern&h...Berna&t=k&z=17 (centered on the blue tunnel in the drawing above)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Verso liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2522
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Thanks. I'd just keep it as it is. I know there're traffic jams there in rush hours, but I'm not sure that would improve the situation.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2523
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Have the Swiss considered nationwide electronic road user charging?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2524
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

There already is such a system for trucks.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2525
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
It isn't. NZ denotes new traffic counters installed in 2012, not roads under construction.

The "big" projects still not financed but often discussed are:
A1 Morges bypass
A2 Lucerne bypass (maybe a widening with third tunnels? less likely than the others, IMHO)
A5 Biel-Bienne western bypass
A13 Bellinzona-Locarno
A20 Le Locle/La Chaux bypasses
Glatttal Autobahn & A53 missing link

Each of them will likely require at least 1 billion CHF (except Biel-Bienne bypass). The sort of A8 Brünig tunnel isn't know. Also the A4 will still have a gap after the opening of the Morschacher and Sisikoner tunnels.

A widening with a new tunnel is also planned in bern on the A6.
The A13 link between Locarno and A2 in Bellinzona has already been compromised by a referendum in 2007. It was refused by 54% of voters.

Funnily, it proves how ecologists and locals can unite to protect their hemp :

http://www.swissinfo.ch/fre/societe/...ml?cid=6172040

http://www.courrierinternational.com...rs-de-cannabis

Magadino Plain
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2526
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Google Street View in CH

I'm curious about something: are there laws (like cantonal laws) inhibiting Google Street View from expanding coverage more in Switzerland? It has increased somehow, like doubled, but there is so much unmapped areas out there...
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2527
John Maynard
BANNED

Centovalli connection to Ticino

The more important for Valais and Romandie in order to have a good connection with Ticino isn't Gotthard Road Tunnel, but Simplon Pass and Centovalli.

Actually, it's already the shortest, fastest or almost the same duration than by A2, largely.
But, due to Centovalli road sinuosity and dangerousness (some sections are so narrow, only one car per direction can pass), one must think twice before venturing. In addition, it takes almost 1 hour (if not longer) to complete the 43 km of the route.

Centovalli Road

After completion of A9 Sierre-Brig it will be the fastest and shortest link to Ticino for a large part of Romandie and mainly for Valais. Simplon Pass and SS33 is already or similar to "autostrasse".
Therefore, the current Centovalli route: SS337 and Via Cantonale is not any longer suitable for current, and above all for future traffic, and by consequence, should be improved.
https://maps.google.ch/maps?saddr=SS...ra=ls&t=m&z=12

Are there any plans in this direction?

P.S.: If this is not the case, what about the narrow sections, could it be improved?
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2528
Coccodrillo

There are certainly projects to improve that road, however, I'm sure nothing will change for decades (as it is usual).

Brig-Lugano takes ~2h20/2h40 either via Furka-Gotthard, via Simplon-Centovalli or via Simplon-A26-A8-Varese, or 2h15 via Novena-Nufenen.

For Brig-Bellinzona going via the Furka or the Centovalli is around 30 minutes faster (2h30 vs 3h00), and 2h00 via the Novena-Nufenen.

IMHO, the best way to link Wallis-Valais and Ticino would be a Novena-Nufenen, together with a fast bus service Brig-Airolo for those without a car, but that's simply science finction. Note that a branch of the Furka base tunnel was planned to Bedretto, with a surface rail line to Airolo and a car shuttle until Bedretto. This branch was built with a narrow cross-section as intermediate access to build the tunnel, but there is no serious plan to open it. The portal of the branch is located here, it is visible but closed by barriers.

For that route I mostly take the train, if not I usually opt for the Laveno-Intra ferry then the Simplon car shuttle, or the Furka car shuttle (more rarely the Nufenen-Novena pass because most of the year it is closed, never the Furka or Centovalli roads).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2529
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
There are certainly projects to improve that road, however, I'm sure nothing will change for decades (as it is usual).

Brig-Lugano takes ~2h20/2h40 either via Furka-Gotthard, via Simplon-Centovalli or via Simplon-A26-A8-Varese, or 2h15 via Novena-Nufenen.

For Brig-Bellinzona going via the Furka or the Centovalli is around 30 minutes faster (2h30 vs 3h00), and 2h00 via the Novena-Nufenen.
For doing this route many times from Lausanne, I can say it's always at least 30 minutes faster by Simplon Pass and Centovalli than by Furka/Nufenen Pass, and it's also the shortest route.

Note that Furka/Nufenen Passes are closed for 8 months or more a year, this is therefore not a viable connection. You can also use the Furka Base Tunnel year-round piggyback, but it costs and it's not open 24h/day.

Therefore, IMHO Simplon Pass and Centovalli is the best connection to Locarno/Magadino Plain and South of it, or Ticino in general for spring-autumn-winter time.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2530
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
For that route I mostly take the train.
I would probably do the same (I'm not against train), if only the IC trains didn't took more than 5 hours to make Lausanne-Locarno/Lugano (more if it's a peripheral area).
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2531
Suburbanist
on the road

Passo Novena is a good road as Alpine pass go. Not as good as the Grimsel route, but still fit with generous width and allowing a comfortable driving (comparing to driving Furka pass or the Oberalp pass).

I think if they want they could keep the pass opened for longer then they let it open now, which is a bit less than 5 months per year. Sections exposed to avalanches are not that long and could be taken care of with covers (like the Gran San Bernardo route). Reason they keep that pass closed so long, I guess, is to concentrate snow removal resources on the Grimsel and Susten routes.

Now on the touristic side of things only, they could build a touristic route between the Passo Novena route and the Italian border here
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2532
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Passo Novena is a good road as Alpine pass go. Not as good as the Grimsel route, but still fit with generous width and allowing a comfortable driving (comparing to driving Furka pass or the Oberalp pass).

I think if they want they could keep the pass opened for longer then they let it open now, which is a bit less than 5 months per year. Sections exposed to avalanches are not that long and could be taken care of with covers (like the Gran San Bernardo route). Reason they keep that pass closed so long, I guess, is to concentrate snow removal resources on the Grimsel and Susten routes.
Let's be realistic, it will be more difficult and unrealizable to protect the highest road in CH during 8 months or more, than to improve some short section of Centovalli Road.

Also, Nufenen Pass is open only from mid/end of June to early/mid of October (which is 4 months or less), and even less for Furka Pass.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2533
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Now on the touristic side of things only, they could build a touristic route between the Passo Novena route and the Italian border here
There is already a road (well, a sort of it, and closed to public traffic), and from time to time someone propose to improve it, however I doubt it will be done.

By the way, just below Formazza there is a rare road spiral tunnel: https://maps.google.com/?ll=46.33964...38581&t=m&z=15

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2534
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

A22

The new A22 opened to traffic today. It is the upgraded H2 between Pratteln and Sissach. The newly opened section runs from Pratteln to Liestal. It is partially underground in a 2.2 km tunnel. The new road features 2x1 lanes with a median crash barrier. The tunnel has two tubes, with 1 through lane and 1 long exit lane each way. There are two exits in the tunnel. It connects to the two-lane bypass of Liestal, which opened in 1970.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #2535
Suburbanist
on the road

Question: do they have plans to improve Julierpaß and/or Malojapaß? I'm not talking of tunnels, just an upgrade that make these passes like the San Gottardo or Grimsel (wide, comfortable on curves for wider vehicles).
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2536
Coccodrillo

A22 (in the red diamond): this should have been the name of that road if the road was passed to the federal government (which has been rejected with the vignette price increase). Now I suppose it is just H2, or another administrative number unknown by public.

Pass dal Güglia/Julierpass: no, but a bypass of Bivio is planned and one for Silvaplana is under construction (opening 2016)

Passo del Maloggia: no

The Prättigau road (A28, nearly an autostrasse) to Klosters, the Vereina rail shuttle and the H27 are, however, an alternative (another bypass is planned for La Punt Chamues-ch)

Old December 12th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #2537
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Question: do they have plans to improve Julierpaß and/or Malojapaß?
The Swiss don't use "ß". It's "Pass".
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2538
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
The Prättigau road (A28, nearly an autostrasse) to Klosters, the Vereina rail shuttle and the H27 are, however, an alternative (another bypass is planned for La Punt Chamues-ch)
Is this still a faster route from Chur than the old car transport Albula, which has shut down couple years ago?
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #2539
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The Swiss don't use "ß". It's "Pass".
Pedant.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2540
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

It's "Pass" in Germany, too. Not every ss is a ß.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz