daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2581
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Only the ones between Mont Blanc and Turin as far as I know. And some at Genua, but it's very bendy out there.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:10 PM   #2582
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Only the ones between Mont Blanc and Turin as far as I know. And some at Genua, but it's very bendy out there.
And some on a32 turin frejus.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2583
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Germany is a disaster zone when it comes to their tunnels. Problem is that when Germans go through tunnels abroad they take their bad habits with them and slam their brakes. They must have some sort of a fobie or other issues of some kind.

Switzerland isn't so bad with their tunnels as long as there are no Germans about. I've seen Swiss lorry drivers honking in despair at Helmut or Manfred in front...
I drove in CH this summer. Letting tunnels aside, the Swiss drive pretty bad, continuous left lane hogging at low speeds, even when there was nobody in front of them. I don't like to flash and I didn't, but I found out gesturing with your hands (Italian style) gets their attention and they move right.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:05 PM   #2584
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Jaunpass

Nice video of the Jaunpass / Col du Jaun in winter.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, cinxxx, Zagor666 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #2585
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

A1 was closed today for nearly 10 hours, because an excavator on a truck was too high for a bridge...
Pics here: http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/mittelland/story/24152257#
Video of the accident here: http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/sto...uecke-17359386

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:43 PM   #2586
niskogradnja
Used Register

Likes (Received): 615

I took some pictures on my recent voyage CH- BIH -CH via I, SLO, HR.

Just outside Lausanne

Over Montreux

Junction near Martigny

Canton Valais

Near Brig

Branko Ćopić (1915 – 1984)
niskogradnja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:49 PM   #2587
niskogradnja
Used Register

Simplon pass route

Corvinus, takisobiektoś, Verso liked this post
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:55 PM   #2588
niskogradnja
Used Register

Tunnel du Gd. St. Bernard

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #2589
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

A truck has been caught one week ago running at 160 km/h downhill on a wet carriageway, southbound on the A2.

I don't know if it was with a semitrailer or the tractor alone.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #2590
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

160 km/h? That must've been an amazing sight.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #2591
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Few years ago someone was caught doing 240 km/h on an autobahn in Zurich area, but that is nothing compared to what this guy has achieved.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #2592
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A truck has been caught one week ago running at 160 km/h downhill on a wet carriageway, southbound on the A2.

I don't know if it was with a semitrailer or the tractor alone.
I can only surmise that the driver was "bobtailing" (no trailer), or had a modified truck. Mind you, if the grade was over 8% and there are no severe curves, it's entirely possible to reach that speed in an un-modified truck.
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #2593
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
I can only surmise that the driver was "bobtailing" (no trailer), or had a modified truck. Mind you, if the grade was over 8% and there are no severe curves, it's entirely possible to reach that speed in an un-modified truck.
With or without exploding the engine from overspeed?

I remember once following a truck without trailer on a secondary road at 140 km/h, I was impressed!

Or maybe the truck was going 90 km/h and just got flashed, like all those people with Fiat Uno's getting 240 km/h tickets in mail, or the Polish guy who got a ticket for speeding in a Syrena van with no engine It is kind of shocking, what would happen to people with normal cars and "normal" speeds on the ticket... I guess they just pay.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #2594
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I was once a passenger in a 40 ton semi-truck, going downhill in Germany and we went 120 km/h, and the speed limiter was not tampered with. So it is possible, but 160 km/h is amazingly fast (not to mention dangerous).
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2595
Coccodrillo

With the deception of the ASTAG (association of freight road carriers), but with the approval of the TCS (car users association), the voters today approved a new rail fund by 62%, funded also with part of the truck tax and the fuel taxes. The "yes" was even 75% in Geneva and Vaud cantons, where also the A1 Geneva-Lausanne has capacity problems.

When the truck tax was approved, its rail use should have been temporary, but from today it will become permanent (one third goes to cantons, which use the money also for cantonal roads).

However, the road news of today is that this months we should know more about an equivalent fund for roads (which could be submitted to voters in 2 to 3 years). It is still not known the future of the roads that were planned to be included in the national network with the vignette price increased (which has been refused).

Today's vote and the refuse of the 100 CHF vignette is (yet another) sign that road fans are still a rarity in Switzerland...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2596
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Swiss voted against free movement in EU. That means they will probably withdrawn from Schengen and border posts will be re-established in road crossings.
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #2597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think the Swiss referendum actually changes much. It's just making a situation permanent that has been practice for years. The Swiss truck toll is not a user fee but simply a tax.

A few years ago the Germans decided to direct all revenue from truck tolls into roads, but at the same time they reduced the regular road funding by the same amount, resulting in no net increase in road funding.
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #2598
Coccodrillo

This vote is not about border controls, but about limiting immigration, which, being against EU laws, will certainly pose problems with the EU-Switzerland bilateral treaties. Switzerland is not in the EU, but many Swiss feel it as an oppressive entity, a feeling apparently found also in many EU states...it is sad, because the EU is a nice concept...if it worked.

Old February 10th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #2599
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Even that CH is in Schengen (or when we where ), many time I passed through Basel Autobahn border they where keep on asking "have you got something to declare?" or "where are you coming from?" and they looked carefully inside my car, sometime even asking to open the trunk. One must not forget that CH was never in EU, and therefore, limits on merchandises applies anyway, as per example, 500g of meat, 1 liter of liquor or 2 liters of wine, 200 cigarettes, etc. Failing to declare (and pay taxes) can end in a severe fine and confiscation of goods.
What's funny is, despite the fact of knowing that, many Swiss still prefer to make the big shoppings outside CH (of course it's cheaper ), exposing themselves to harsh fines.
Btw., is this new popular decision going to cause more scrutinous controls along borders?
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #2600
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't think the Swiss referendum actually changes much. It's just making a situation permanent that has been practice for years. The Swiss truck toll is not a user fee but simply a tax.
What today's Swiss people's decision has to do with your concern?
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz