daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2014, 01:35 AM   #2621
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Some pics I took en route from Buchrain LU to interchange A14-A4 at Holzhäusern ZG.
March 2014

1. Turning left for the tunnel leading to A14 in Buchrain

2. looking left: tunnel entrance visible in the background. Tunnel length about 800m.

3. Made it to A14 and heading north

5. They sometimes operate a speed trap at this parking. How surprising ...

6. Gisikon/Root LU exit coming

8. Canton of Aargau welcome sign

9. Verzweigung A4 - A14 sign

10. Canton of Zug, the "cherry canton" welcomes us - Aargau territory lasted for only about 1 km!

11. So does your country have signs for neighbouring countries?

12. This is already after the Verzweigung A14 - A4. Physically we just continue straight on, but we are on A4 now heading to Zurich. Motorway is three-laned until Verzweigung A4 - A4a near Zug.

Verso, Attus liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #2622
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Driving into and around Genève on A1a and A1:

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #2623
verreme

The motorway between Lausanne and Genève turns 50 in 2014. It opened in 1964 and was Switzerland's first motorway. I filmed it last month:

Suburbanist liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #2624
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Any plans to make it 2x3?
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #2625
verreme

I know there are plans to enlarge Genève bypass, which is very congested, and the part closest to Lausanne is already 2x3 in peak hours. I don't know about the rest of the route though.

I filmed it in a Sunday when Genève's Salon de l'Automobile was being held, so traffic was crazy. I don't know how it's like on normal days.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #2626
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Any plans to make it 2x3?
No. The Avanti ("go forward" in Italian) initiative in 2004 demanded that (together with more capacity on Bern-Zürich and Erstfeld-Airolo) but was retired by its promoters when the government proposed an alternative road improvement fund (not limited to these sections). This was rejected by 63% of voters. Now only if the proposed new road fund is approved widening of the Lausanne-Geneva motorway might go ahead.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #2627
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Some of Main Road 23 en route between Sursee LU and Lützelflüh BE
Pics taken Apr 2014

Verso liked this post
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2628
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I was once in Lützelflüh. I know it's twinned with Slovenian Velike Lašče, there was a sign at the entrance.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #2629
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Guys, I have a question.

I have read this read, and there has been a lot of discussion about the Gotthard tunnel and the traffic jams. Last Saturday, it started again.

I am going to spend my summer holidays in Switzerland and will have to cross the Gotthard on a Saturday afternoon (bad timing, I know, but cottages are for rent from Saturday to Saturday, so here we are!)

I was wondering if it is true that only few people leave the motorway in time and drive the parallel country road and drive over the pass.

That would mean, if I leave the motorway at Altdorf I should get away without considerable congestion?

What do you guys think?
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #2630
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Guys, I have a question.

I have read this read, and there has been a lot of discussion about the Gotthard tunnel and the traffic jams. Last Saturday, it started again.

I am going to spend my summer holidays in Switzerland and will have to cross the Gotthard on a Saturday afternoon (bad timing, I know, but cottages are for rent from Saturday to Saturday, so here we are!)

I was wondering if it is true that only few people leave the motorway in time and drive the parallel country road and drive over the pass.

That would mean, if I leave the motorway at Altdorf I should get away without considerable congestion?

What do you guys think?
From where to where are you driving exactly?
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #2631
Heico-M

Quote:
From where to where are you driving exactly?
From Schaffhausen to Aqcuarossa, Blenio Valley.

I know i can take a detour via Chur, Disentis and the Lukmanierpass, but I was asking specifically what is going on on the road parallel to the A2 north of Göschenen, direction south.

I want to avoid the tunnel anyway as the pass is much more fascinating, I only wanted to know if it is futile to bypass the motorway or if there are 50000 other clever guys on the road who have the same idea?

Thank you.
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #2632
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Quote:

What do you guys think?
This actually worked for me in 2011. My pics of the Gotthard Pass road should still be in this thread
There was no congestion on this detour route. You just have to pay attention to traffic announcements on the radio and take a motorway exit coming before the end of the jam. I was stuck for an instant in it until reaching the next exit.

Edit: said Gotthard Pass pics from 2011 are here.

Heico-M liked this post

Last edited by Corvinus; April 14th, 2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #2633
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
From Schaffhausen to Aqcuarossa, Blenio Valley.

I know i can take a detour via Chur, Disentis and the Lukmanierpass, but I was asking specifically what is going on on the road parallel to the A2 north of Göschenen, direction south.

I want to avoid the tunnel anyway as the pass is much more fascinating, I only wanted to know if it is futile to bypass the motorway or if there are 50000 other clever guys on the road who have the same idea?

Thank you.
Most people don't dare to try the pass, tourists actually don't know the Gotthard pass is quite a wide and modern one, they probably think it is a narrow mountain road and stick to the tunnel queues. The pass itself is rarely congested. However, congestion on the highway reaches points before A2 last exist before the tunnel. Exit the highway in Wassen instead and take the local route. The Göschenen-Andermatt sector is very pretty, there is a nice seasonal waterfall next to the road.

Heico-M liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #2634
Heico-M

Quote:
Most people don't dare to try the pass, tourists actually don't know the Gotthard pass is quite a wide and modern one, they probably think it is a narrow mountain road and stick to the tunnel queues. The pass itself is rarely congested. However, congestion on the highway reaches points before A2 last exist before the tunnel. Exit the highway in Wassen instead and take the local route. The Göschenen-Andermatt sector is very pretty, there is a nice seasonal waterfall next to the road.
Thank you guys, looking forward to the tour.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #2635
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Not many people know that the pass road, even when leaving the motorway in Erstfeld to avoid the queue, is just 20 minutes slower than the motorway when it is empty (which means that the pass road is 2 or more hours faster on peak days):

http://goo.gl/maps/kM1p2

http://goo.gl/maps/q0RGj

In the other direction it's similar. Note that on peak days Göschenen and Airolo junctions are closed in the direction of the tunnel to avoid people skipping the queue clogging up also the cantonal road.

Apparently most people like -or at least don't dislike- waiting hours in a queue...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #2636
Suburbanist
on the road

Speaking of the Gotthard tunnel, have they decided already on how to renovate it? Long single-shot closure? 4 consecutive spring/summer closures + pass improvements? Second bore (later to be operated as single lane)?
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #2637
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

11 Kilometers traffic jam on the entrance of the Gotthard Tunnel for Eastern holidays, with no other alternative than to wait bumper against bumper for up to more than an hour:
http://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/576821...u-gothard.html

The Gotthard Pass road is closed, and will remain so till end of May/early June.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #2638
Suburbanist
on the road

Do you think after the Gotthard Base Tunnel opens the opposition to doubling the Gotthard road route capacity will wane so that a referendum could be passed to revoke AlpTransit restrictions?

I mean: cars are much less pollutant today, and so are Euro5 trucks, than they were in the mid-1990s.
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #2639
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

In the summer there are alternatives, in the winter/spring there aren't unless you can get away with taking a train...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #2640
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
In the other direction it's similar. Note that on peak days Göschenen and Airolo junctions are closed in the direction of the tunnel to avoid people skipping the queue clogging up also the cantonal road.
It's to tell you that YOU MUST STAY IN THE QUEUE if you want to go inside that tunnel . Though, imho If you have a nice sunny summer day, it's a lot nicer to go by the Pass.

Last edited by John Maynard; April 14th, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz