daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #2641
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

It is rather to avoid people passing by the congestion and then re-enter the motorway on the last junction, congesting it even more.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #2642
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

There is a limit of 1.000 vehicles per hour per direction in the Tunnel (1 truck = 3 equivalent vehicles), so that people waiting to enter the Tunnel from Airolo or from Göschenen would quickly block both the villages* and the pass road. With the entrances closed they pass through without blocking everything (actually, Göschenen has a bypass, but would still be innacessible with both the A2 and the cantonal road blocked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
In the summer there are alternatives, in the winter/spring there aren't unless you can get away with taking a train...
That's true, but most peak days are when the pass is open (the main exception is Easter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Speaking of the Gotthard tunnel, have they decided already on how to renovate it? Long single-shot closure? 4 consecutive spring/summer closures + pass improvements? Second bore (later to be operated as single lane)?
Second bore (theoretically) with a single lane, if voters approve it (it is a perfect case for neinsagers: those who say there is already too much traffic will vote no because they say with a second tunnel there would be more traffic, those who say there is not enough traffic say that money would be better spent elsewhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Do you think after the Gotthard Base Tunnel opens the opposition to doubling the Gotthard road route capacity will wane so that a referendum could be passed to revoke AlpTransit restrictions?
It's because a lot of money has already been spent on railways that many people will vote no in 2015. Wait and see.

(note that the new transalpine road capacity ban was not related to AlpTransit and was not proposed by the government of the time -that opposed it- but by citizens)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #2643
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Not many people know that the pass road, even when leaving the motorway in Erstfeld to avoid the queue, is just 20 minutes slower than the motorway when it is empty (which means that the pass road is 2 or more hours faster on peak days):
What are typical seasonal opening dates of the Gotthard pass?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #2644
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
What are typical seasonal opening dates of the Gotthard pass?
It's usually opened from mid-end of May/beginning of June till early-mid of November (depending on the weather).
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #2645
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

The earliest I've seen is the 3rd weekend of May, the latest 2nd weekend of June. I once drove on the pass road 3 days after the opening and it was quite impressive with 5-6 m of snow on both sides of the road at the top.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #2646
Coccodrillo

In 2001 it was kept open until December because the tunnel was closed following the fire.

If the tunnel will be closed for renovation without a second bore the pass will be kept open as much as possible, train shuttles reactivated and the road tunnel reopened during summers.

However to keep the Gotthard pass opened year long something to protect the road from avalanches should be done, and a lot of money would be needed to clear it after every snowfall. That's why when there is alternative and low traffic (road tunnel, train shuttles, or diversion) the passes are closed unlike some passes in the Dolomites which are kept open even if they are at the same altitude (Falzarego, Valparola, Sella, ...).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #2647
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

There are also passes which close in winter and no substitutes are in place (Stelvio).
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #2648
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
It will never be completed, if nobody works on it...
The main and more needed objects of this motorway are the ~2.8 km Visper and the ~4.2 km Eyholz tunnels.
The works for the A9 i/c Visp-West have been started this week. It is planned to complete the i/c until 2017/18. The construction of the Eyholz tunnel is on schedule. The construction of the Visp tunnel will be started in September 2014 (source).
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #2649
Coccodrillo

Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2650
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

New cantonal road RC 177 is on its way to develop the Pole Vufflens-Aclens near Lausanne.

The road which will be 5,5 km long is likely to be opened (on an optimistic scenario) in 2019, at an estimated cost of 75 million Swiss Francs.

The proposed road will attract logistic centers and companies, creating 1'400 jobs; with a unique pickaback's center, a logistics that may become a main strategic issue throughout Western Switzerland.

Also, it will create new access to motorway A1, especially important for trucks, as relieving traffic in West Lausanne.

Proposed RC 177, with new sections in red.

Links:
http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/rou...ville-penthaz/
http://www.vd.ch/actualite/articles/...ntonale-177-1/
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2651
Coccodrillo

Some updates on the A9, mainly from "IQ" on Wegenforum but with additions from myself: http://www.wegenforum.nl/viewtopic.p...art=60#p767477

A map of the alignment can be seen on the homepage of the official site: http://www.a9-vs.ch/

* Susten-Gampel section (this one) should open end 2016-beginning 2017 (from Susten Ost to Gampel-Steg West junctions)
* construction of Riedberg tunnel may start in 2015 (there are geological problems), it is the short tunnel near point B in the map above
* the Eyholz tunnel has been completed, but I doubt it will open without the Visper tunnel
* one tube of the Visper tunnel is opened since a few year as a partial bypass to Zermatt/Saas Fee, construction of the other tube will start this year
* the existing tube of the Visper tunnel will be closed for 18 months from mid-2015 because of works in the other tube and nearby junctions
* I dare not speculate an opening date for these tunnels...but certainly not this decade
* works the Pfynwald section (this one), which includes a 4 km tunnel (mainly cut&cover), will not start before 2017; however this section is not that urgent (there is a fast, parallel 2-lane road built 10 years ago on a railway alignment freed up with the construction of two rail tunnels) (I suppose the existing road through Pfynwald will have to be closed for reconstruction)

MichiH, Falusi, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #2652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

A16 Transjurane

Breakthrough has been achieved at the 500 meter long Loveresse Tunnel. It's part of the A16 from Court to Loveresse, which will open to traffic in 2016.

http://bo.bernerzeitung.ch/region/se...story/18824798

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:05 PM   #2653
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

What sections of a A2 are not completed ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #2654
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
What sections of a A2 are not completed ?
What does "not completed" mean? If it's "not motorway" then it's only Gotthard tunnel, 17 km.
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #2655
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They found radioactive waste on the construction site of A5 at Biel/Bienne. The radioactive waste was already found in 2012, but was kept secret from the public until this week.

The radioactive waste likely originated from the watch industry, where they used a type of paint to have the dial glow. Apparently the radiation was relatively high, about 300 microSievert per hour. It's not a danger to public health, but not recommendable to have long exposures of that kind.
Old June 4th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #2656
steve5
Steve's Photo Gallery

Likes (Received): 461

A2 in Osco, Piottino canyon, Ticino

A2 in Giornico, Biaschina canyon, Ticino (viaduct has a height of 110m, built 1979 - 1983)

ERSTBEZUG - www.erstbezug.ch - Verzeichnis für Neubauprojekte in der Schweiz
steve5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #2657
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A16

The next A16 section will be opened on 21st August (source).

A16: Bure – Porrentruy-East 1 8.8km (? to 21st August 2014) – projectmap

A flyer provides information about the other sections. The last two sections should be opened in late 2016:

A16: Delemont-East – Choindez 1 ?km (? to Late 2016) – projectmap
A16: Court – Loveresse 1 ?km (? to Late 2016) – projectmap

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by MichiH; June 29th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #2658
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

Some pictures from my €trip. Pictures taken last week. This was my first ever visit to Switzerland!

1. A13.

2. Sarganserland Dreieck - A13/A3.

3. Taking the A3 for Zürich.

4. On A3.

5. Destination sign.

6. Near Walensee.

7. Reichenburg Kreuz.

8. Near Wollerau.

9. These pictures were taken after visit to Zürich. On A4.

10. At Rotkreuz my friend took a wrong turn for Gotthard, we needed A14 for Luzern..

11. ..so we ended up driving few km on A4.

12. Near Immensee.

13. At this exit we turned around, and went back to Rotkreuz for A14.

14. Since we were camping in Brienz, our next destination was Milano in Italy. So I took a look at my famous 2005 Euro Atlas ( ), and found a shortcut road with number 11 to A2. It looked very straight in the map, so everyone agreed to drive on it. When leaving Brienz, it was quite strange to see that Italy and Gotthard was signed only for A8. I couldn't understand, we drove the A8 and it was full of sharp turns, climbs and downs, why nobody drives the straight road number 11? Then, after few km it hit me. Appears this road climbs and climbs until it reaches it's highest destination, which is 2262 m . Nevertheless, after such awesome views of mountains no one was disappointed and it made our trip even more awesome! You may well ask why didn't we took a look at GPS? Well, **** the GPS!

15. Curves at Sustenpass.

16. 2 km above sea level. Also, at this point photos are getting crappy, since my friend took them, while I was behind the wheel.

17. Driving in the 3rd longest road tunnel in the world.

18. Interesting for me to see was how languages change as you travel closer to Italy. For example, exits near Austria were written in German - Ausfahrt, here it's - Uscita, in Italian.

19. Last picture.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2659
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Not much snow aroudn the Sustenpass this year
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #2660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm surprised by that as well. Sustenpass is often one of the last passes to open. I was there in 2010 in mid-June and it was still closed for the winter.

Tags
schweiz