daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #2981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Austria charges tolls on some passes, but Switzerland doesn't. There may be some private roads where they charge a fee, but they are usually very minor roads.

The tolls on some Austrian passes are very high. The Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße toll is € 34.50 which is about the same toll as the annual vignette in Switzerland.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #2982
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The tolls on some Austrian passes are very high. The Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße toll is € 34.50 which is about the same toll as the annual vignette in Switzerland.
This, however, is more a tourist attraction than a road really connecting A to B. The toll on mountain roads necessary/convenient to go from A to B is more in the 10 Euro range. Also, keep in mind that there are some passes in Switzerland where there isn't a road but one has to use a train ferry. The fare on those trains is also in the region of 30 to 40 Fr.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2983
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

The only one that doesn't have a road is the Lötschberg. Of course in winter many passes will be closed so there may be some more reasons to take the shuttle train. Especially the Furka.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2984
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Yes, this must be taken into account when talking about Swiss pass tolls: some passes are open in summer only (thus closed for most of the year), and in this case, one has to take the vehicle shuttle train, if any. And these, of course, aren't for free.
The Furka shuttle for example is 30 CHF per passenger vehicle (passengers included).
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:31 PM   #2985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
This, however, is more a tourist attraction than a road really connecting A to B.
True, but if you want to drive a couple of high Alpine roads in Austria you'll have to fork out a lot of money. Switzerland doesn't have that, while having similar or even better scenery.

I don't mind paying a modest entrance fee, but € 34.50 for the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße, € 15 at the Silvretta Hochalpenstraße, € 14 at the Timmelsjoch or € 23 at the Gletscherstraße is quite expensive.
Old August 1st, 2015, 04:53 PM   #2986
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

All this is more than compensated with much lower prices in Austria for pretty much anything else.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 06:41 PM   #2987
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Also in Italy touristic Alpine roads are generally toll-free, with rare exceptions, like the roads to the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Val Visdende or Val Cimoliana (all of them are dead-end roads).
I'm sure that tolls for Alpine touristic roads aren't charged just to cover road maintenance (that I don't think it's very expensive, since those roads are kept closed until snow melts naturally), but to collect money for more general mountain-related expenses like maintaining hiking trails, building and maintaining touristic facilities and providing utilities to mountain huts (the last thing can be very expensive, especially for huts not accessible by roads).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; August 1st, 2015 at 06:48 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #2988
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

I have a question.
Yesterday I drove all around Lake Maggiore, thus entering Switzerland at Cannobio and returning in Italy at Zenna. Although I excluded motorways from calculation in my gps, it was routing me through A13 in Ascona. Plus, I spotted a few strange signs on route to the motorway (an autobahn symbol above a cross, both barred by a thin red cross) which I interpreted as "vignette not needed". I wasn't sure so in the end I drove through Ascona and Locarno, but was I right? Is A13 there vignette - free? If not, what did that sign mean?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #2989
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

http://www.autobahnen.ch/images/vignette_required.jpg

yellow: no sticker needed
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #2990
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
Thanks, this map comes in handy.
So I was right, vignette was not required.
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #2991
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Some recent photos (Sep 2015) of the (in)famous A1/A2 combined section between Oftringen and Egerkingen. Heading toward Bern/Basel.

No roadworks anymore (unlike couple of months ago), three lanes, very pleasant drive.

1. Entering canton of Solothurn, shortly after merging of motorways A1 and A2.

7. A1 and A2 separate again, A2 toward Basel (N.-W.), A1 toward Bern (S.-W.)

makaveli6, Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by Corvinus; September 15th, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #2992
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
True, but if you want to drive a couple of high Alpine roads in Austria you'll have to fork out a lot of money. Switzerland doesn't have that, while having similar or even better scenery.

I don't mind paying a modest entrance fee, but € 34.50 for the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße, € 15 at the Silvretta Hochalpenstraße, € 14 at the Timmelsjoch or € 23 at the Gletscherstraße is quite expensive.
In Austria you generally don't pay just for the roads, but you also have access to some museums on your way (at least thats the case at Großglockner Hochalpenstraße).
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #2993
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

C'mon, that's just embelishing a tourist trap.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #2994
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
In Austria you generally don't pay just for the roads, but you also have access to some museums on your way (at least thats the case at Großglockner Hochalpenstraße).
Yeah, sure, that's what I want the most when I drive up to 2500 m - lock me inside a museum...
Old October 19th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #2995
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Apparently for the missing link of the A13 the tunnel option has been chosen. 11 km of Autostrasse, of which 7 km in a double tube 1+1 tunnel. Usually I don't like the idea of building more roads, but I found idiot building two parallel tunnels with 1.75 lanes each (1 running lane + 1 narrower emergency lane), but that's mandatory because of the expected traffic (likely more than 20.000 AADT). A single two lane bidirectional tunnel, with a provision for a second tube, cannot be built because of some new tunnel rules, and a 2+2 tunnel is not wanted for some environmental reasons. This way the tunnel will cost roughly the same as a full 2+2 tunnel, but with half the capacity, and no way to increase capacity without closing the tunnel for years.

The road will begin at the current roundabout (that will likely disappear) at the end of the A13 western stub and end somewhere near Bellinzona Sud junction on the A2, running underground in the mountain south of road 406.

The expected cost is around 2 billion CHF, however no financing is available yet...any new project is dependent to the planned road fund we will vote on in the next few years. If that will be refused, every Swiss motorway project will be delayed for years (which might mean decades after the initial planning works).

Location: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/46.1619/8.9194 (no publicly available plans AFAIK, yet)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #2996
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

Apparently Locarno will never have a proper road connection, massive waste of money if there ever was one
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2997
Coccodrillo

This morning a man wearing a Scottish kilt decided to play a bagpipe in the middle of the Gotthard tunnel

Source: http://www.cdt.ch/ticino/bellinzona/...l-san-gottardo

A similar performance happened one year ago south of the tunnel: http://www.cdt.ch/ticino/bellinzona/...-un-precedente

It is likely the same person, but it is not known who he is and why he did that.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #2998
Coccodrillo

A project to cover a section of A1L is slowly going on (around 110.000 vehicles per day).

Just noth of the Schöneich tunnel a concrete box, which can hardly be called tunnel, should be built linking up with the existing tunnel. Drivers will see it as a ~2 km tunnel.

The planned cost of this ~1 km box is...393 million CHF (363 million EUR) And not for a real cut&cover tunnel, it is just a box. However, building a real tunnel would be much more expensive and disruptive, as there is a tram tunnel just below the motorway. At the time, it would have been far better to build the tram on the surface and the motorway underground.

http://www.einhausung.ch/

http://www.luzernerzeitung.ch/nachri...rt46447,644374

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relatio....40585/8.56246

At least, a park will be built above it and plants posed on its sides, unlike this example near Milan: https://www.google.ch/maps/@45.40584...8i6656!6m1!1e1

HarlingenHardest liked this post
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2999
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

That's a very nice project .

I hope they will built more like this one when motorways passes close to dense residential areas.

Also, it would be nice if the "tunnel" would have been lighted by colourful leds and the walls nicely decorated inside as well . We can always dream...
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #3000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They built something like this over German A1 in Köln as well.

Tags
schweiz