daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #3121
eeee.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich / Kyiv
Posts: 1,072
Likes (Received): 1168

It's not closed for the season. Just due to current weather conditions.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #3122
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,532
Likes (Received): 21237

Where is this located?
source: http://www.srf.ch/var/storage/images/
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #3123
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,553

That's the A53 from the massive roundabout at the A52.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #3124
eeee.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich / Kyiv
Posts: 1,072
Likes (Received): 1168

Link:
https://s.geo.admin.ch/6f3d06fd93
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #3125
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,200
Likes (Received): 767

The 2.3 km A13 tunnel in Roveredo (GR) on the A13 will be opened tomorrow. Yesterday the public was able to visit the new tunnel before opening, in the links below there are some photos. The old alignment will be mostly demolished, there are no plans to reuse it as a local road. The whole project (which also include two bridge and open section, totalling around 4 km) costed around 360 million CHF, and works lasted for 8 years. Planning started around 30 to 40 years ago.

Location:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/46.2355/9.1256

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&...9637.66&zoom=7

http://www.ticinonews.ch/ticino/3263...rconvallazione

http://www.cdt.ch/svizzera/cronaca/1...nuova-galleria

__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #3126
[atomic]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 255
Likes (Received): 122

^ is it 1+1?
They could have moved the rail line onto the old road but if you look at streetview and osm it seems like it was dismantled in 2014
__________________
Have a nice Day!
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:05 PM   #3127
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,200
Likes (Received): 767

The whole pass section is 1+1, with some parts 2+1, so yes, in the new tunnel 1+1 is enough. The old section through the village was also 1+1. As the tunnel was built to remove the road from the village, using the new alignment for northbound traffic only and the village's alignment for southbound isn't realistic.

The railway lost its passenger traffic already around 1972, but freight traffic continued until 2003 and some tourist trains (making ~4 trips a day but only ~20 days a year) ran until mid-2014. It has since been dismantled, as Roveredo wanted to build on the site of the former autostrasse and railway (which were parallel) and as the railway was run by a railfan club, with no money and capacity to fight with Roveredo against the closure or to build a new railway. IMHO they lost one of the few tourist attractions of the valley, but they seem happy with that. I posted some photos of that line in the railway subforum.
__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #3128
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,455
Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The whole pass section is 1+1, with some parts 2+1, so yes, in the new tunnel 1+1 is enough. The old section through the village was also 1+1. As the tunnel was built to remove the road from the village, using the new alignment for northbound traffic only and the village's alignment for southbound isn't realistic.
But the rest of A13 between Bellinzona (A2) and Mesocco (start of the climb to San Bernardino) is a full motorway, so that 1+1 tunnel creates a sort of gap.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #3129
verreme
Registered User
 
verreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,392
Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The 2.3 km A13 tunnel in Roveredo (GR) on the A13 will be opened tomorrow. Yesterday the public was able to visit the new tunnel before opening, in the links below there are some photos. The old alignment will be mostly demolished, there are no plans to reuse it as a local road. The whole project (which also include two bridge and open section, totalling around 4 km) costed around 360 million CHF, and works lasted for 8 years. Planning started around 30 to 40 years ago.

Location:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/46.2355/9.1256

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&...9637.66&zoom=7
40 years of planning to build a two-lane expressway that replaces a two-lane expressway. I don't want to criticize anything since I guess there must be strong reasons for the old road to be replaced, but this sounds bizarre to me.
__________________
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #3130
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,592
Likes (Received): 19383

They almost built a twin-tube tunnel. The north tube is smaller (escape tube). So the additional cost to have turned it into a full-standard two-lane tube would've been limited. As the tunnel indeed links two 4-lane segments, this is nothing short of bizarre.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #3131
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,455
Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They almost built a twin-tube tunnel. The north tube is smaller (escape tube). So the additional cost to have turned it into a full-standard two-lane tube would've been limited. As the tunnel indeed links two 4-lane segments, this is nothing short of bizarre.
Indeed. It won't have been much more expensive to build a 4-lanes double-bore tunnel.
This is not even a cross-Alps tunnel, so the 'increase of capacity' forbidden by Swiss constitutionand by Convention of Alps is not an issue there.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #3132
pccvspw999
Registered User
 
pccvspw999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milan
Posts: 5,875
Likes (Received): 1883

We can also argument that the 4-lane stretch from Roveredo and Soazza links 2 2-lane segments. At the end the total capacity of the road is limited by the last 2-lane segment up to the tunnel, and a twin-tube tunnel would have been oversized anyway.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #3133
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,592
Likes (Received): 19383

Well, it's true that the two-lane setup wouldn't cause acute congestion problems, the average daily traffic is 13,000 vehicles per day and a two-lane road can handle that kind of traffic.

But in this case they're spending hundreds millions of francs on what is almost a twin-tube tunnel. Twin-tube tunnels are always safer than single tube tunnels, especially with an elevated - yet not congested - traffic volume as A13 has.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #3134
niskogradnja
Used Register
 
niskogradnja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,995
Likes (Received): 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
40 years of planning to build a two-lane expressway that replaces a two-lane expressway. I don't want to criticize anything since I guess there must be strong reasons for the old road to be replaced, but this sounds bizarre to me.
It is bizzare, and many things here are. For example Switzerland, one of the richest countries in the world has a serious shortage of appartements.They want to exit nuclear power, but don't want wind turbines and so on.

The canton of Wallis is the less developed, but the motorway through it is also being built for many decades. I mean where's the problem? build the ****en infrastructure. Geneve is drowning in its traffic congestion but they only opress the motorists more and more.
__________________
Bosna je zemlja prepuna čari, Trepeta šuma i bljeska vode, Brda joj kite gradovi stari, Nad njima sinji oblaci brode. Čini se, to je začaran kraj Kroz koji vilu progoni zmaj.

Branko Ćopić (1915 – 1984)
niskogradnja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #3135
pccvspw999
Registered User
 
pccvspw999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milan
Posts: 5,875
Likes (Received): 1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, it's true that the two-lane setup wouldn't cause acute congestion problems, the average daily traffic is 13,000 vehicles per day and a two-lane road can handle that kind of traffic.

But in this case they're spending hundreds millions of francs on what is almost a twin-tube tunnel. Twin-tube tunnels are always safer than single tube tunnels, especially with an elevated - yet not congested - traffic volume as A13 has.

"Almost", but not completely. It's not only digging a second tube which is an expense, but also maintainance costs of a full operational carriageway instead of an excape tunnel.
I don't know what was the approval procedure that led to the construction, but it doesn't seem to me completely wrong what has been decided.
I travel that road a couple of times a year, and of course I would have preferred a twin tunnel, but aren't my taxes which have been spent.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #3136
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,455
Likes (Received): 2185

Swiss A13 links Milan and Munich. It feels strange to imagine that, driving between two multi-million-inhabitants metro areas in Western Europe, you'll encounter a long 1+1 stretch.
However I realized that a full motorway across the San Bernardino would be extremely challenging, if not impossible, due to terrain (it would require an extremely long base tunnel).
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #3137
MichiH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lower Franconia
Posts: 4,403
Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
It's not only digging a second tube which is an expense, but also maintainance costs of a full operational carriageway instead of an excape tunnel.
Exactly but having only one tube is more expensive because any future tunnel renovation works have to be done while traffic is driving through the tunnel or through the village. The old A13 alignment through the village will be demolished soon. Having just one full tube is bad for traffic and(!) for the inhabitants of the village.
__________________

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #3138
pccvspw999
Registered User
 
pccvspw999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milan
Posts: 5,875
Likes (Received): 1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Exactly but having only one tube is more expensive because any future tunnel renovation works have to be done while traffic is driving through the tunnel or through the village. The old A13 alignment through the village will be demolished soon. Having just one full tube is bad for traffic and(!) for the inhabitants of the village.
Don't You think that these aspects have been properly evaluated during the development? Maybe in 30-40 years they plan to complete the second tube, leaving the first one just for emergency without great renovations. 30-40 years of saved money, and inhabitans wealth.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #3139
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,592
Likes (Received): 19383

Political decision making is not necessarily the same as a sound evaluation of pros and cons. Given the inadequacy to develop, expand or fund roads in Switzerland, this is not very surprising.

It's astounding how Switzerland is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, but can't come up with even basic funding of roads. Traffic volumes are increasing fast, the amount of kilometers driven on the motorways has doubled since 1990 but almost nothing has been built since, especially not in high-volume areas.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #3140
MichiH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lower Franconia
Posts: 4,403
Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
Don't You think that these aspects have been properly evaluated during the development?
I've googled and couldn't find any info why you've decised to build one tube only.

Quote:
Maybe in 30-40 years they plan to complete the second tube, leaving the first one just for emergency without great renovations. 30-40 years of saved money, and inhabitans wealth.
I don't talk about a big renovation but about any little maintenance happening many times per year. Having two tubes, it would be easy to close one lane for some hours, days or weeks. The old A13 will be demolished. A pedestrian precinct and a parking garage will be built there by 2020. The next exit to the west is in Bellinzona if there's a detour via H13 because of maintenance works.
__________________

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
schweiz

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium